I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
22 22

6,311 posts in this topic

17,864 posts
Posted (edited)
On 3/29/2019 at 7:43 PM, sacentaur said:

So I missed setup at WonderCon yesterday, but today a story was circulating regarding a killer stack of 10 early Weird Tales pulps. I managed to track down the source and main buyer, and all I can say is that I have never seen pulps in this type of condition before. The only downside (for me) was that the page quality was cream with a hint of edge tanning, still supple and nice. The inside covers were bone white.

The first three Conan issues. The famous green background ‘bat-girl’ issue. Two classic St. John covers. A 1931 issue by an artist unknown to me. Another great Brundage cover. And two I didn’t see.

The common denominator seems to be Robert E.Howard, so whomever cherry-picked these off the stands nearly 9 decades ago had excellent taste. 

I am mainly a comic guy - pulps are secondary to me - but the issues I saw were truly astounding. I don’t think any cellphone pic could do them justice. They were priced very aggressively (from what I know) but had no trouble moving. Duh.

I’ll vouch for that. They were REAL nice. The buyer of the “Bat Girl” issue showed it to me.  Nicest copy of that one I’ve ever seen...

Edited by Robot Man

3,925 posts

A little walk through the Flash Gordon book:

XBLhd0tl.jpg

Notice at the bottom of the Table of Contents page it says the next issue's story is called "The Sun Men of Saturn".  That issue never appeared.

3iv5dzGl.jpg

XXti3rcl.jpg

ZQPAEg3l.jpg

oam993ml.jpg

3,925 posts
1 hour ago, Scrooge said:

Please keep on documenting your collecting. This is one of my favorite threads! :foryou:

Thank you!  Glad you're enjoying my posts. :)

3,925 posts
13 hours ago, lpsunburst said:

I was able to add these 2 to my Conan collection, I am over halfway now.

img717.jpg

img718.jpg

Two nice-looking copies of great Brundage covers!  Well done!  The orange one is a personal favorite.  One of Brundage's best covers, I think, and a classic C.L. Moore Jirel of Joiry (her introduction) story to boot.

There's 26 Conan story issues, and chasing those is what got me started on collecting Weird Tales.  Now I've got 95% (204 of 214) of them from 1923 to 1943, so watch out you don't catch that bug too, haha.

Did you get these at the Chicago show this weekend?

3,925 posts
2 hours ago, thewritestuff said:

Here are a few I picked up yesterday...

ACF83CA8-CC5A-4EE2-B81E-B5E7E4C1F71A.jpeg

I love this cover.  It's by Gloria Stoll Karn, who's 95 and lives in Pittsburgh.

3,925 posts

Any pick-ups by boardies at the Windy City pulp show in Chicago?  My agents have acquired some sweet books for me that I'll post when they arrive.

3,925 posts
7 minutes ago, RedFury said:

I love this cover.  It's by Gloria Stoll Karn, who's 95 and lives in Pittsburgh.

Here's a wonderful interview with Glorai Stoll Karn the Norman Rockwell Museum produced in 2018.

Gloria Stoll Karn: Pulp Romance

206 posts
1 hour ago, RedFury said:

That’s great. Thanks for the info. I’m a total newbie. I just grabbed a bunch for the artwork, and this one stood out.

1,469 posts
1 hour ago, RedFury said:

Two nice-looking copies of great Brundage covers!  Well done!  The orange one is a personal favorite.  One of Brundage's best covers, I think, and a classic C.L. Moore Jirel of Joiry (her introduction) story to boot.

There's 26 Conan story issues, and chasing those is what got me started on collecting Weird Tales.  Now I've got 95% (204 of 214) of them from 1923 to 1943, so watch out you don't catch that bug too, haha.

Did you get these at the Chicago show this weekend?

I wish I had been able to be in Chicago for the Con, I will likely be in Chicago for the big HA auction, I want to go see the Egyptian Princess in person before it disappears for the next couple decades.

1,310 posts
4 hours ago, thewritestuff said:

Here are a few I picked up yesterday.

2ACB69D7-D0AD-477F-BBE8-3539EF844920.jpeg

This is a tough book.  Some of the adventure magazines are really uncommon.  Cool stuff! (thumbsu

206 posts
55 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

This is a tough book.  Some of the adventure magazines are really uncommon.  Cool stuff! (thumbsu

🙏