• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,038 posts in this topic

Several weeks ago I posted about a short stack of high grade Weird Tales at WonderCon, for those interested a half-dozen of them were just listed at Bob Storms’ website HighGradeComics.

10 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Several weeks ago I posted about a short stack of high grade Weird Tales at WonderCon, for those interested a half-dozen of them were just listed at Bob Storms’ website HighGradeComics.

Nice looking copies and ... interesting prices.

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

Lol. Look real pretty but I’d like to own them for about 1/8 the ask. 

It will be interesting to see if they sell.  I know what I think the current market value is on them, but these are the kind of books that could explode in value.  They just have so much going for them, and these particular copies are real nice.

2 hours ago, RedFury said:

It will be interesting to see if they sell.  I know what I think the current market value is on them, but these are the kind of books that could explode in value.  They just have so much going for them, and these particular copies are real nice.

That was, to some degree, my take as well.  If those were comics, not pulps, they would be gone already at those prices.  The first Conan, in particular, would be pulling way more than that asking price, I think.  But pulps they are, not comics, and so the prices seem... interesting is the best word, I agree.

With that said, even I was willing and able to spend that much money on a single book, I would be skeptical of a dealer who can't tell Margaret Brundage from J. Allen St. John in their descriptions. :facepalm:

10 hours ago, OtherEric said:

If those were comics, not pulps, they would be gone already at those prices.  The first Conan, in particular, would be pulling way more than that asking price, I think. 

Four of the six have apparently sold (including the 1st Conan).

9 minutes ago, RedFury said:

Thanks Steve, that's VERY interesting!

I'm now thinking I got a great deal on these beauties that will be arriving soon from Chicago.

HOdcUNfh.jpg

Lots of Brundage and a complete set of higher grade Planets at Windy City along with other amazing eye candy.

25 minutes ago, RedFury said:

Thanks Steve, that's VERY interesting!

I'm now thinking I got a great deal on these beauties that will be arriving soon from Chicago.

HOdcUNfh.jpg

• Maybe a few undercopies coming my way... hm :wishluck: :foryou:

23 minutes ago, circumstances said:

These need to explode in value after I have all of them!

Not now!

Well, yes, but you do have most of them already, so overall you'd do OK.

I'm just glad to see some movement in the market.  I really believe there's a LOT of pulps that are super-cheap right now, and these Brundage/Conan Weird Tales along with others like Lovecraft keys and just really primed for a jump.

9 minutes ago, RedFury said:

I'm just glad to see some movement in the market.  I really believe there's a LOT of pulps that are super-cheap right now, and these Brundage/Conan Weird Tales along with others like Lovecraft keys and just really primed for a jump.

Ok, just let me get the first one and the batwoman then...

Edited by circumstances

17 minutes ago, RedFury said:

I do wonder which Lovecraft books you consider key.  Or anybody considers key, actually.  With so many of his stories first appearing in amateur magazines it's less obvious than it might otherwise be.

Edited by OtherEric

14 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

I do wonder which Lovecraft books you consider key.  Or anybody considers key, actually.  With so many of his stories first appearing in amateur magazines it's less obvious than it might otherwise be.

I'll not comment on the amateur magazine stuff as I know very little about them.

For the pulps, I guess I'd focus on the better known stories and the few cover appearances.   I'm sure I'm forgetting some good ones.

Amazing Stories

• Sep 1927 - The Colour Out of Space

Astounding Stories

• Feb, Mar, Apr 1936 - At the Mountains of Madness.  The Feb issue is the cover story.
  • Jun 1936 - The Shadow Out of Time.  Also the cover story.

Weird Tales

• Feb 1924 - The Hound.  The first mention of the Necronomicon.
  • Mar 1924 - The Rats in the Walls
  • May/Jun/Jul 1924 - Imprisoned With the Pharaohs.  Cover story.
  • Jan 1925 - The Festival.  I sold my under-copy of this one recently for $1,800.
  • Apr 1926 - The Outsider.  This issue also has the Robert E. Howard's 1st cover story, Wolfshead.
  • Oct 1927 - Pickman's Model
  • Feb 1928 - The Call of Cthulhu
  • Apr 1929 - The Dunwich Horror

45 minutes ago, RedFury said:

Weird Tales

• Feb 1924 - The Hound.  The first mention of the Necronomicon.
  • Mar 1924 - The Rats in the Walls
  • May/Jun/Jul 1924 - Imprisoned With the Pharaohs.  Cover story.
  • Jan 1925 - The Festival.  I sold my under-copy of this one recently for $1,800.
  • Apr 1926 - The Outsider.  This issue also has the Robert E. Howard's 1st cover story, Wolfshead.
  • Oct 1927 - Pickman's Model
  • Feb 1928 - The Call of Cthulhu
  • Apr 1929 - The Dunwich Horror

Weird Tales from the 20’s are so difficult to find, especially in nice shape... I don’t own any. :sorry: