• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,043 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Weird Tales from the 20’s are so difficult to find, especially in nice shape... I don’t own any. :sorry:

I'm missing a few from 1923 but have all the rest. Some in nice shape, some not so nice. I take what I can get and upgrade when possible.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Anybody got any photos or thoughts on the Windy City Pulp con last weekend?

I was there but didn't take any photos. There were a ton of comic collectors (and dealers and flippers). Competition for good books at good prices was more frenzied than the action for pulps or paperbacks. As always there was a good variety of pulps and other stuff at a variety of prices. Some dealers had very brisk sales at all manner of price levels while others seemed to struggle to find buyers. This was the first year I didn't attend either the Friday night or Saturday night auction, as I have too much lower-end stuff as it is, and the better stuff always has stiff competition. Take a look at the pulps that were part of the Weinberg collection on Friday night, including the first issue of Weird Tales!

http://windycitypulpandpaper.com/home/?page_id=2652

The auction also featured the second issue as well as the first REH issue, the Houdini issue, and many other keys. But as I stated earlier, the prices realized on that stuff are about ten times what I'd be willing to pay. I did get a few meager treasures for my scrapheap which I'll post later on.

It's always a great show to visit with old-timers and even meet a few of the new blood. I even met a boardie or two, as they are somewhat easy to spot (such as when one old-time bookseller was pulling ungraded and even unbagged golden age out of beer crates).  :cloud9:

43 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

I was there but didn't take any photos. There were a ton of comic collectors (and dealers and flippers). Competition for good books at good prices was more frenzied than the action for pulps or paperbacks. As always there was a good variety of pulps and other stuff at a variety of prices. Some dealers had very brisk sales at all manner of price levels while others seemed to struggle to find buyers. This was the first year I didn't attend either the Friday night or Saturday night auction, as I have too much lower-end stuff as it is, and the better stuff always has stiff competition. Take a look at the pulps that were part of the Weinberg collection on Friday night, including the first issue of Weird Tales!

http://windycitypulpandpaper.com/home/?page_id=2652

The auction also featured the second issue as well as the first REH issue, the Houdini issue, and many other keys. But as I stated earlier, the prices realized on that stuff are about ten times what I'd be willing to pay. I did get a few meager treasures for my scrapheap which I'll post later on.

It's always a great show to visit with old-timers and even meet a few of the new blood. I even met a boardie or two, as they are somewhat easy to spot (such as when one old-time bookseller was pulling ungraded and even unbagged golden age out of beer crates).  :cloud9:

Thanks Pop! The auction listing is mind numbing for rarity. Really makes me want to start seriously pulp collecting again...

Oldtime seller pulling un-bagged golden age out of beer crates? Sounds drool worthy...

I was going to bid on the 12/32 and 1/33, as well as the Superworld #1, but I ended up not.

If you're absentee, the bidding starts at your high bid, so I decided not to place any.

I wonder what they went for.

Edited by circumstances
I meant the 3/33. I have the 1/33.

1 hour ago, circumstances said:

I was going to bid on the 12/32 and 1/33, as well as the Superworld #1, but I ended up not.

If you're absentee, the bidding starts at your high bid, so I decided not to place any.

Yes, with no bid escalation process in place for absentee bidders, I decided not to place any bids either.  I know others who did the same, so they're losing out on a lot of potential bids.

6 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Weird Tales from the 20’s are so difficult to find, especially in nice shape... I don’t own any. :sorry:

Because you can't get them with white pages :smile:

2 hours ago, circumstances said:

It was completely split and still went for $2500 plus with buyer fee