• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,103 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, comicjack said:

Our favorite boardie Catrick can you find this man his pieces to complete his Action 2

DSCF1719.thumb.JPG.d2163b5485f145b6141c2f0ce9233226.JPG

I spoke to this guy for a spell and had no idea he was boardie Catrick! He had some really nice Disney punch-out and activity books from the 30's that were in amazing shape. :foryou:

1 hour ago, RedFury said:

Love those romance books, Jack :luhv:  I would have bought them too.

No shame there. Shows like Chicago are the rare instances where you can find Romance pulps in quantity rather than one here and one there. Allows for collectors to discover covers and really appreciate the genre. That's why the Chicago show is a gem!

Congrats to ComicJack.

2 minutes ago, Scrooge said:

No shame there. Shows like Chicago are the rare instances where you can find Romance pulps in quantity rather than one here and one there. Allows for collectors to discover covers and really appreciate the genre. That's why the Chicago show is a gem!

Were you there too? Next year all boardies should wear some sort of identifying accessory like a pin or a button...  :foryou:

10 hours ago, RedFury said:

I'll not comment on the amateur magazine stuff as I know very little about them.

For the pulps, I guess I'd focus on the better known stories and the few cover appearances.   I'm sure I'm forgetting some good ones.

Amazing Stories

• Sep 1927 - The Colour Out of Space

Astounding Stories

• Feb, Mar, Apr 1936 - At the Mountains of Madness.  The Feb issue is the cover story.
  • Jun 1936 - The Shadow Out of Time.  Also the cover story.

Weird Tales

• Feb 1924 - The Hound.  The first mention of the Necronomicon.
  • Mar 1924 - The Rats in the Walls
  • May/Jun/Jul 1924 - Imprisoned With the Pharaohs.  Cover story.
  • Jan 1925 - The Festival.  I sold my under-copy of this one recently for $1,800.
  • Apr 1926 - The Outsider.  This issue also has the Robert E. Howard's 1st cover story, Wolfshead.
  • Oct 1927 - Pickman's Model
  • Feb 1928 - The Call of Cthulhu
  • Apr 1929 - The Dunwich Horror

I can't argue with that list too much.  I think there must be something key in the 30's Weird Tales, but nothing much comes to mind.  Possibly July 1933, with The Dreams in the Witch-House and the (ghost-written) Horror in the Museum; plus CAS's Ubbo-Sathla, might qualify... 3 Mythos stories is, I believe, a record for the 30's.

I suspect the May and July 1941 issues, with The Case of Charles Dexter Ward and the iconic Bok covers and Lovecraft's name big on both of them (and HUGE on one) have a lot of room to grow, as well.  But they're a ton more common than the 20's or even the 30's issues in my experience.

Wow, so much incredible stuff being posted here lately. Congrats on those hauls everyone! I wish I didn't live on the other end of the continent...

Out of curiosity, anyone know what the bound set of Fantasy Fan went for?