• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,006 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I second that! I sure wish a nice load of pulps like that would “come my way”. Some real good issues there!

Cheers. Things are really slow over here in Paris right now and this is the first good pile of books that I purchased this year. Fingers crossed that I'll be able to pick up more good stuff this year. :)

14 minutes ago, RedFury said:

That's really nice, Cat.  Any idea if it was published anywhere, or what year she painted it?

Thanks!  This information I do not have.  Given the Deco style I'd be inclined to date this work to the 1940's or 50's, but I haven't been able to lock down a specific date or any details respective to it's history (yet).  That said, it is an exceptional piece regardless, extremely impressive from both distance and under close inspection.  My wife and I were both blown away by the painting.

Edited by Cat-Man_America

9 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Found at my LCS today.  Anybody know anything about the title?  It's pulp sized, and the edges are untrimmed, but the paper quality is better.

Cartoons_Magazine_1921_06.jpg

I find them interesting when they show up pulp like with a book feel to it. Lots of stories of the time period mixed with art work inside.Never seen that one and a really cool piece

Scan0272.thumb.jpg.8e9e01d56b1a80a1758a26fea6487648.jpg

On 5/2/2019 at 2:04 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

1940's or 50's

Awesome pick up.  Brundage is a giant.  Funny thing is I was thinking late 20’s early 30’s as it has an early Parrish feel to it. 

8 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Awesome pick up.  Brundage is a giant.  Funny thing is I was thinking late 20’s early 30’s as it has an early Parrish feel to it. 

Thanks! That very well could be the case, but in lieu of a date affixed to her signature I'll presume this to be a slightly later work.

6 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Thanks! That very well could be the case, but in lieu of a date affixed to her signature I'll presume this to be a slightly later work.

You might very well be correct. For what it’s worth I spent some time on the HA archives comparing the signature on your painting to other examples with known publication dates if not the year when the painting was produced. Some of the later examples just have “Brundage”.  I also have a feeling your painting must have been published. 

so on to more important things

the 8/13 HA Crain Sci Fi Sig Auction - you guys would know better than me - but unbelievable right?  44 Yakimas, 58 Spicys, OA up the yazoo, books, etc

Has the market seen anything like this before?

Yes

The pulps yes, many times.  Yakima’s are mainly one title and the Spicy's all over the map for condition , but still impressive.

However, the original art from Glynn’s collection is unbelievable .. will be an incredible opportunity to acquire a great piece for a anyone’s collection!

Nothing against the Yakima collection as I’m well aware of It because I have over 200 in my personal collection, and they are stunning.  However the bulk of the Yakima collection is from the late (1938 up  and 40s)

if were talking about the only true pulp pedigree collections (That can be identified because of markings on the cover), the Strasser collection is much more impressive...not even close  ...starting in January 1933 and going to the end of 1939

Newsstand condition with either white or off-white or white pages.