• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,006 posts in this topic

On 8/3/2019 at 8:01 AM, RedFury said:

Weird Tales, Jun 1925

I doubt this many have been together since they were printed. (shrug)

htCE07Hh.jpg

Nice trio, Todd - if you want to move one of those with nice paper (I won’t be too picky on the grade), please send me a PM.

Those early WT’s are such toughies...

12 hours ago, detective35 said:

SHOWOFF...LOL!!

Seriously .... if anyone is working for great pulps, I would highly recommend you visit Todd’s eBay store or Pulpfest, because he has a lot a rare pulps, graded accurately, and priced very fairly.

Thank Dwight!

And feel free to send me want-lists.  I have a lot of stock that's not on Ebay yet.

My eBay store is: comic_and_pulp_heroes

12 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

Sweet Mary, look at those copies of Magic Carpet!!!  I really want to make it to this show sometime.  2019 won’t happen but fingers crossed for 2020!

And 8 of the 9 Oriental Stories as well, and they're scarcer than the Magic Carpets. :whistle:lol

I hope you can make it next year, it's a great show!

11 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Nice trio, Todd - if you want to move one of those with nice paper (I won’t be too picky on the grade), please send me a PM.

Those early WT’s are such toughies...

Sure thing, Steve.  Yep, two of the three are for sale, just keeping one for my collection.  And I have three other 1925 issues available right now too.  I'll PM you.

1 hour ago, Surfing Alien said:

Just arrived. Since I dipped my toe in the pulpwater, i've done some looking around on what it would take to land a nice red logo Weird Tales. This one came up in the wheelhouse.

I love Otis Adelbert Kline and there is a 1st CAS story in here as well. What's funny is that, in hand , this is crazier than what it looked like at first. When I opened the front leaf, it made the sound I've heard on a thousand 70's books that were liberated from dealer bundles... the sound of the ink separating from page to page from being sticky off the press and held together with the pressure of the bundle. I stopped leafing through it so that sound can be spread across the next generation (thumbsu

Image (438).jpg

Great description,I could almost smell it!

Very happy for you,what a stunner!

21 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Found at my LCS today.  All 3 have parts of a Burroughs serial.  One is Barsoom, one is Venus, and one is Tarzan.

Argosy_1933_04_15.jpg

Whoah-that was one of my first ever pulps!Well,in the first batch I ever got,which was my first pulp experience.

2 hours ago, Sauce Dog said:

With so much of my comic collecting being focused on GA comics with cool covers, who am I to resist the call of the pulp? Presenting my first pulp purchase, though this one I actually did buy it to read the story and not just admire the cover :)

20190810_172629.thumb.jpg.484e367816d94ee00d06439ea351ef24.jpg

Astounding!I've seen the movie,have the comic-I had no idea the idea went back that far!Cool.

On 8/10/2019 at 12:09 AM, Surfing Alien said:

Just arrived. Since I dipped my toe in the pulpwater, i've done some looking around on what it would take to land a nice red logo Weird Tales. This one came up in the wheelhouse.

I love Otis Adelbert Kline and there is a 1st CAS story in here as well. What's funny is that, in hand , this is crazier than what it looked like at first. When I opened the front leaf, it made the sound I've heard on a thousand 70's books that were liberated from dealer bundles... the sound of the ink separating from page to page from being sticky off the press and held together with the pressure of the bundle. I stopped leafing through it so that sound can be spread across the next generation (thumbsu

Image (438).jpg

Love high-grade Weird Tales :luhv:

Congrats!

So what's the verdict on the Crain auction pulps? From what little i've learned here and there it seems like the usual deal - some exceptional & rare books  went really high and some trimmed and lesser condition books went similar to what I see on ebay. The Spicy Mystery Batman that went for 9K plus - is that a record for a Spicy Mystery?

I think some of these went high (for their actual grade).  Key pulps were going to go high because of all the hype in this auction, there’s just no way they weren’t going to.

The Spicy mystery Batman issue is not a rare book.  I’ve had three high-grade copies and 2 mid grade copies.  Obviously you had a couple guys (probably comic guys) where that price seemed cheap compared to Comics, but realistically people that know the market, know that that was about double the high-end value.

A Sharp copy of that should go between $3500-$5000.

The real head shaker were the Yakima planets.  Comic guys are paying crazy money because they’re from the Yakima collection, not because those books are rare.

Anyway it’s good for Glynn, and I am happy for him that they realized the numbers that they did.

Dwight

Edited by detective35DF