I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
25 25

6,720 posts in this topic

4,108 posts
13 minutes ago, RedFury said:

 It is a risk, though. :wishluck:

Sir, raise your hands and step away from the overhang

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
378 posts
1 hour ago, RedFury said:

That one is not trimmed, it's just the cover was attached a little lower than it should have been.  Weird Tales from that era have factory trimmed right edges and small overhang at the top and bottom.  Yours is just shifted towards the bottom, making a larger overhang there.

If the paper is still supple, you can probably unfold that piece at the bottom.  It is a risk, though. :wishluck:

Thanks, your trimming tutorial in the other thread helped me make the call on this one (thumbsu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
378 posts
1 hour ago, Dr. Love said:

Sir, raise your hands and step away from the overhang

can...not...resist... little things like that bother me so much:pullhair:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
378 posts
4 hours ago, N e r V said:

Egyptian, cute girl... what more do you want?

A86C9851-B381-4590-BC54-BD14C33C33A2.jpeg.ba612d7a4217b479e8c4478d5f51ca07.jpeg

 

Pretty copy to boot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
378 posts

Overhang unfold risk taken :)

I taped the bag tight to put a little pressure on that bottom edge, which should press those folds into place after a few days. Looking neat n proper now. The poly bags are a little dull though. Any recommendations on a good mylar solution for these?

IMG_20190831_103832624~2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,172 posts

I use Super Gold size Mylite 2s and Full Backs.  I think they're perfect for pulps (except bed-sheets).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40,639 posts

The thickness of a pulp sits pretty snug at the bottom of a GA mylar.Not sure if that's what you want?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,367 posts
17 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

The thickness of a pulp sits pretty snug at the bottom of a GA mylar.Not sure if that's what you want?

You have to buy Mylite 2s and get one size smaller boards.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
378 posts
23 minutes ago, RedFury said:

I use Super Gold size Mylite 2s and Full Backs.  I think they're perfect for pulps (except bed-sheets).

I'm thinking mylites too, I'd think the 4 mil would put too much pressure on the edges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,589 posts
1 hour ago, RedFury said:

I use Super Gold size Mylite 2s and Full Backs.  I think they're perfect for pulps (except bed-sheets).

Seems like I wasn’t the only one to ask you that question now...hm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
74 posts

I have always used super-gold Mylite 2’s, with gold full backs.

 It’s just personal preference but I find that super-gold full-backs are a little too snug on the overhangs, that’s why I use super-gold bags with gold size backing boards. 

For extra protection I’ll put this inside a magazine mylar with a magazine backing board which I cut down a bit in width so it’s not too tight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40,639 posts

I love learning stuff.Thanks everyone.

I'd been keeping mine in magazine bags because I was nervous the gold mylar in gold fullbacks would further damage my mostly raggedy copies.I used SA boards and taped one side over snug.

Edited by porcupine48

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19,310 posts

I just pile my pulps up in piles in a closet. If I'm feeling like I might have a good one, I use one of these...

robertbellbag.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,367 posts
6 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I just pile my pulps up in piles in a closet. If I'm feeling like I might have a good one, I use one of these...

robertbellbag.jpg

Yeah, but all you have is junk...:baiting:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16,825 posts

Your to young but us old guys grew up on those types of heroes.Congrats :headbang:

Edited by comicjack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
870 posts
4 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I did not have the childhood comic book experiences like many of you.

My childhood interests were Schulz Peanuts and my idol as a kid was Tarzan. I am only 50 but in the early 70's every Saturday on our local stations they would play the Johnny Weismuller Tarzan features and I loved them. There was a 1966 Tarzan TV program they used to replay after school and I loved that too. The first book I ever owned myself was this copy of Tarzan of the Apes that my grandparents got me when I saw it at the local five and dime as a 4 year old. Not many comics have a deep emotional tie to me because they are not linked to my childhood experiences but this is and so I feel a greater sense of connection to it. 

Fast forward to what arrived today.:cloud9: Could not be more thrilled and I am grateful to @storypapers for letting me raid a corner of his closet. I may post this in the Cigar forum too even though not a golden age comic.

 

It's great to learn about your background growing up! I somehow missed Tarzan and found Conan, but I can certainly understand the nostalgia with these characters. And the condition of this pulp given its rarity is simply INCREDIBLE! CONGRATS!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,167 posts

It was time to pass on the Tarzan to someone who would take care of it and appreciate him for years to come....until he passes it on to hopefully another younger collector who will admire for a time as well. 
Ultimately may end up in some prestigious institution for another few hundred years or so....:preach: till it turns to dust......
In any case....I'm glad Rick now has it!  Next perhaps he will buy the magnificent painting I have of same!  When ready.... lol All BEST my friend.  

For those who may have an interest in more of my closet...please drop me a message hello :) Joe R. (storypapers) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,589 posts
25 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I did not have the childhood comic book experiences like many of you.

My childhood interests were Schulz Peanuts and my idol as a kid was Tarzan. I am only 50 but in the early 70's every Saturday on our local stations they would play the Johnny Weismuller Tarzan features and I loved them. There was a 1966 Tarzan TV program they used to replay after school and I loved that too. The first book I ever owned myself was this copy of Tarzan of the Apes that my grandparents got me when I saw it at the local five and dime as a 4 year old. Not many comics have a deep emotional tie to me because they are not linked to my childhood experiences but this is and so I feel a greater sense of connection to it. 

Fast forward to what arrived today.:cloud9: Could not be more thrilled and I am grateful to @storypapers for letting me raid a corner of his closet. I may post this in the Cigar forum too even though not a golden age comic.

 

IMG_6274.JPG

IMG_6275.JPG

IMG_6276.JPG

IMG_6281.JPG

In terms of value that’s more or less the Action comics #1 of pulps. Great pick up...(thumbsu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
25 25