• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,096 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, ArkhamCastle said:

Any Strange Tales fans here.

20190927_134150.jpg

Love them.Now I've nearly completed the Atlas/Marvel comic run,it just makes SENSE I need to get these.I've been in love since Red Fury posted his.

Pulps are still a newish genre to me,so fresh-and exciting!

6 minutes ago, RedFury said:

My postman just delivered The Outsider and Others by H.P. Lovecraft, the first Arkham House book.  That's a huge step towards completing the early Arkhams.

YTpKluRl.jpgoJ8LokUl.jpg

:whatthe: Amazing!Well done,so nice to look at.Big time envy here.Before I joined here and well,the internet really at the same time,I never dreamed I'd ever see something like this.

The Outsider has always been my top story by him,I must have read it dozens of times.

Thanks, Porci. I'll read 'The Outsider' tonight as I've been wanting more HPL. Reread 'The Colour out of Space' the other day, a supreme classic (my first reading of it is a fave childhood memory)... Followed it up with a reread of 'The Distortion out of Space' that used the same 'meteor crash' scenario to wonderful effect.

img614.jpg

3 minutes ago, Pat Calhoun said:

Thanks, Porci. I'll read 'The Outsider' tonight as I've been wanting more HPL. Reread 'The Colour out of Space' the other day, a supreme classic (my first reading of it is a fave childhood memory)... Followed it up with a reread of 'The Distortion out of Space' that used the same 'meteor crash' scenario to wonderful effect.

img614.jpg

:cloud9: Re-living,remembering childhood memories is some  of the best part of this stuff,right?I'll need to look into the Distortion out of Space.Hopefully I can find it it the link @OtherEric shared some pages back.

Slightly on,slightly off topic-just found this last night in a book box-talk about childhood memories!I hope the young family members like it as I did.

!!!!!0.jpg.3a38c1e02ccb1bf317f4f6e47a8e5ec8.jpg71185100_1248717575333965_68727037166931

1 hour ago, porcupine48 said:

Love them.Now I've nearly completed the Atlas/Marvel comic run,it just makes SENSE I need to get these.I've been in love since Red Fury posted his.

Pulps are still a newish genre to me,so fresh-and exciting!

Hi porcupine I too have a nice run of Strange Tales Comics.  I think you will really like the pulps as well!

47 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

:cloud9: Re-living,remembering childhood memories is some  of the best part of this stuff,right?I'll need to look into the Distortion out of Space.Hopefully I can find it it the link @OtherEric shared some pages back

https://archive.org/details/Weird_Tales_v24n02_1934-08_LPM-URF-AT

2 hours ago, RedFury said:

My postman just delivered The Outsider and Others by H.P. Lovecraft, the first Arkham House book.  That's a huge step towards completing the early Arkhams

Congratulations! Looks like a real nice copy too. One of my big regrets is not picking up a copy of this back in the 90’s when I was collecting Arkham’s and they were $600 or so. At some point they will all be in permanent collections. There’s just not that many of them even though most of them that were printed have probably survived since Arkham’s were so prized by their owners.

1 hour ago, Surfing Alien said:

Congratulations! Looks like a real nice copy too. One of my big regrets is not picking up a copy of this back in the 90’s when I was collecting Arkham’s and they were $600 or so. At some point they will all be in permanent collections. There’s just not that many of them even though most of them that were printed have probably survived since Arkham’s were so prized by their owners.

It is a real nice copy, I'm really thrilled to get it.  It is pretty scarce...only 1,268 copies printed back in 1939.  Most later Arkham books had print runs of 2,000 to 4,000.  

5 hours ago, ArkhamCastle said:

Any Strange Tales fans here.

20190927_134150.jpg

I'm a fan! Although I only have two of them. I got them at a flea market many years ago. A huge collection surfaced for $5. each. I didn't know much about pulps at the time so I bought all the horror, crime and wild covers until my money ran out. I watched a guy scoop up a whole bunch of Oriental Stories, Magic Carpet and the Weird Tales I left because I didn't like the covers of as much. As I said, didn't think much about it because I was completely unfamiliar with pulps at the time. Probably the best load of pulps I've ever seen or will see...:sorry:

2 hours ago, RedFury said:

It is a real nice copy, I'm really thrilled to get it.  It is pretty scarce...only 1,268 copies printed back in 1939.  Most later Arkham books had print runs of 2,000 to 4,000.  

Wow,that IS hens teeth!I can't imagine they come up very often,are in black hole collections!I'm even more wowed-and happy for you!

I don't mean to gush,but I think it's so cool,I've been a Lovecraft fan since I was twelve,and pre internet days all his stuff was tough to find for me besides Bloodcurdling Tales of...with the Micheal Whelan cover.I was delighted over the years to find he-the artist,was used for more Balantine reprints.

:cool:

12 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I'm a fan! Although I only have two of them. I got them at a flea market many years ago. A huge collection surfaced for $5. each. I didn't know much about pulps at the time so I bought all the horror, crime and wild covers until my money ran out. I watched a guy scoop up a whole bunch of Oriental Stories, Magic Carpet and the Weird Tales I left because I didn't like the covers of as much. As I said, didn't think much about it because I was completely unfamiliar with pulps at the time. Probably the best load of pulps I've ever seen or will see...:sorry:

We all have missed out on  books we should have bought.  I feel your pain but we just can't get them all.  I too collected comics before pulps and missed out on some great collections.

12 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I bought all the horror, crime and wild covers until my money ran out. I watched a guy scoop up a whole bunch of Oriental Stories, Magic Carpet and the Weird Tales I left

Vivid picture of the "old days" - although never with pulps in NYC - but I remember times waiting for the guy who got to a find ahead of me to pick through a stack of comics or old paperbacks taking what he wanted and breathlessly "willing" him to pass over ones I wanted...

Anybody here win that nice run of mid 30's Weird Tales on Ebay last night? I hope so. One person got most of them. Some of them went for a relative song. Sorry I missed the closing, I had bookmarked one early in the week but was out "in the sticks" with no signal on my phone last night (and absorbed in a HS football game lol) There's still some bargains on Ebay when you find listings that end on the weekdays.