• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,006 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, detective35 said:

Yes,

Sometimes some of the Spicys look like they have about a 16th of an inch trim but it’s hard to tell tell, so that isn’t so bad

Pulps like the street and Smith with large overhang‘s, if they’re trimmed, then that is certainly is toxic...kills the value!!

Thanks! Appreciate the info!

So much to learn :D

On 5/15/2020 at 9:27 PM, RedFury said:

Do you still need interior shots?  I see some were posted from reprints, although I only see mention of issues 1-4, but there were 7 issues of Wu Fang plus an additional 3 issues of Dr. Yen Sin, which was a continuation.

Absolutely!!  I wanted to see the difference between the original printing and this new reprint.  I'm sure the original prints are cleaner, but if they've done a nice enough job I'm going to buy the reprint.

I wonder... if Sax Rohmer was so upset with Wu Fang, did he stop using Flanagan as his Fu Manchu artist (blacklisted)?  Flanagan had such a long run with Collier's and then no more magazine work.  Strictly pulps after (with a few DC covers in there too).

Trimming could knock down the value by as much as 75% on some books, and if it’s Barely detectible on a rare book maybe 10%

it just depends on the individual books.

As far as collections:

The real problem is you can’t be impatient with books coming to market.

The comic book market is completely different than the pulp market.
there are a lot of guys out there with a lot of money, but what new collectors have to remember is that you can’t get a steady stream of  pulps like comic books, no matter how much money you have. 

Sometimes you have to wait 2 to 3 or more years for the collection to come out and for comic book collectors that is really tough, because they need to fix all the time.  it doesn’t matter what comic it is, from Detective 27 to action number one they are always available.  I know this,  because I came from the comic book field.

Bottom line is be patient and books will come out.  Sometimes it is frustrating but that is the way it is.

Edited by detective35DF

8 minutes ago, detective35 said:

Trimming could knock down the value by as much as 75% on some books, and if it’s Barely detectible on a rare book maybe 10%

Thanks sir.

Everyone keep me in mind for your heavily discounted trimmed copies of Shadow 1, All Story Oct 1912 and All Story April 1919. :bigsmile:

13 minutes ago, detective35 said:

Would this be true of lower grade copies as well? I had the impression though value is impacted, it's generally not as severe as with comic books, perhaps because ragged edges are pretty common with untrimmed pulps, so the appeal has already been compromised. I'd also noticed that missing back covers didn't seem to hurt value quite as much as they would with comics, maybe dropping the value to about half what a lower grade copy with a back cover might see. Maybe this is changing though, as pulps follow comics into a pickier marketplace. 

What I've wondered is how do faded spines impact the value of otherwise mid to high grade pulps?

9 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

I know there’s a sucker born every minute but trimmed or not if I like the cover I’ll bid aggressively. 

you are right, if you like the cover, then bid.  Who knows with more and more collectors coming into the market, trimming might not drop prices that much at all?

Edited by detective35DF

18 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

It doesn’t hurt that I really like the cover too.  :x

Beautiful book Rick. If my memory serves, when I first met Rick he wasn’t much interested in pulps. Now that he’s  on the train I wouldn’t be at all surprised if prices start to equalize with comics for the choicest examples. 

23 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Beautiful book Rick. If my memory serves, when I first met Rick he wasn’t much interested in pulps. Now that he’s  on the train I wouldn’t be at all surprised if prices start to equalize with comics for the choicest examples. 

Well, I hope that takes a while. I still need plenty more. 

Definitely enjoying these right now for sure. 

I'm not a heavy pulp collector, but when I do buy them, I don't care if the cover was trimmed. A great cover is a great cover. I don't understand why it should affect value that much, but there's a lot about the rules of collecting that I've always found mystifying and arbitrary. 

4 hours ago, Sarg said:

I'm not a heavy pulp collector, but when I do buy them, I don't care if the cover was trimmed. A great cover is a great cover. I don't understand why it should affect value that much, but there's a lot about the rules of collecting that I've always found mystifying and arbitrary. 

I think there’s a lot less rules in collecting pulps that there are in are comics.

if a pulp is altered or restored, it affects the price as with Comics and many other collectables.  This could include ttrimming, colour touch, tape, etc. 

If anything, I think there is less of an impact on the price of a pulp if any kind of restoration is done, than there is a comic.
 The difference is that there is an industry standard in comics based on how much resto. is done, and through hundreds of repeated sales .

In pulps it could be based on both sales records and the individual collector, and what they will find acceptable.  obviously if the restoration is actually identified and disclosed, then the buyer is free to make that choice.  

However people that have been collecting pulps for a long time take for granted that they understand things like overhang’s, trimming, and how much the price is affected etc., through experience.
New collectors the pulp field that are not familiar with the ins and outs of it, I think find it frustrating because there’s not enough sales records at Auctions to really formulate a price point pattern.

Therefore Sarg I agree with you completely, if you see a book you personally like, get it!

Edited by detective35DF