• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Exactly who is "The Dentist"?

333 posts in this topic

Yeah, this thread creeps me out a bit for some reason or other

He'll tell you who he is, but then he'll have to drill you.

Why do people become dentist? Ask yourself that.

They can't hack it in med school

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: lol lol :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap::D:)

:signfunny:

They love animals, which rules out becoming a vet, but hate humans... :devil:

the answer is no. Everyone knew it was a ridiculous price to pay. ( SO did Dave, but he was willing to pay what it took no matter what.) And thast he'd be buried in that book for a long time... Everybody was right. But its been almost 30 years later, the hobby continued to grow, its status as the BEST copy has never been challenged, and now he is the very proud owner of the very best copy of the very best comic book in the world.

Yes, this is basically correct! (thumbs u

Based upon my conversations with Dave in the past, he always felt that he had paid an absurb price for the book since it repesented a significant multiple to guide. Although multiples to guide are common nowadays, it was basically unheard of back in the 70's.

I guess Chuck was just ahead of the times when he priced out the Edgar Church books.

the answer is no. Everyone knew it was a ridiculous price to pay. ( SO did Dave, but he was willing to pay what it took no matter what.) And thast he'd be buried in that book for a long time... Everybody was right. But its been almost 30 years later, the hobby continued to grow, its status as the BEST copy has never been challenged, and now he is the very proud owner of the very best copy of the very best comic book in the world.

Based upon my conversations with Dave in the past, he always felt that he had paid an absurb price for the book since it repesented a significant multiple to guide. Although multiples to guide are common nowadays, it was basically unheard of back in the 70's.

I guess Chuck was just ahead of the times when he priced out the Edgar Church books.

Great Info.

Thanks,

Russ...

chuck didnt sell it directly to Dave though. Coupla stops in between... forget where though.

The deal was brokered by John Snyder. Not sure who the seller was, although I would expect it to be either Chuck himself or Geppi who had a lot of the Church books at the time.

I believe Dave never brought anything directly from Chuck himself at the time. He definitely never brought anything directly from the Carters who also had a lot of the Church books. Apparently the two camps never did see eye to eye and Snyder always served as the go-between if a transaction did involved the Carters and Dave.

This is not dissimilar to a thread/discussion just awhile back where someone posted something from, I believe, a Silver Age ASM letters section, that spoke of (in somewhat extreme terms) about someone having to pay, I can't remember but it was like $20 dollars to replace a lost ASM 1...and (help me out here forumites) this was like the late 60/early 70s if I'm not mistaken...10+ years removed from 1963 publication date...

OK, then here is another couple questions:

9. Who owned MH Action #1 between the time Chuck found it and the time the dentist bought it in 1982? Was it one person? Or multiple owners?

10. How much did Chuck sell MH Action #1 for in 1977?

11. What steps has the dentist taken to preserve his MH Action #1 for the last 25 years beyond the usual "bagging and boarding" it?

12. Does the dentist only collect DC? And only Golden Age?

His telephone #, fax #, and e-mail are on the very last page of this year's Overstreet Guide...

you certainly could say he was ahead of the times but i more think of him as a trendsetter! If not for Chuck prices on books might be far less across the board nowadays.

I must say i am surprised the dentist has never released a scan of the book for all to see! Obviously it's his right to keep it all to himself but i think he should let the rest of the hobby get a glimpse of it's most prized treasure!

Question 98:

Does he keep the books at his house?

Question 99:

Does he have an alarm system on his house?

Question 100:

Is the book in a safe?

Question 101:

Does he have guard dogs?

Question 102:

What's the best way to take out the guard dogs?

:insane::insane::insane::insane::insane::insane::insane::insane::insane:

you certainly could say he was ahead of the times but i more think of him as a trendsetter! If not for Chuck prices on books might be far less across the board nowadays.

I must say i am surprised the dentist has never released a scan of the book for all to see! Obviously it's his right to keep it all to himself but i think he should let the rest of the hobby get a glimpse of it's most prized treasure!

I bet it looks like every other high grade color touched Action 1.