• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Exactly who is "The Dentist"?

333 posts in this topic

Question 98:

Does he keep the books at his house?

YES, HIS OUTHOUSE

Question 99:

Does he have an alarm system on his house?

YES. THERE IS STRING ATTACHED TO THE FRONT AND BACK DOORS. OPEN THE DOORS AND THE STRING PULLS A BELL.

Question 100:

Is the book in a safe?

YES, BUT THE DOOR IS HELD SHUT BY CHEWING GUM.

Question 101:

Does he have guard dogs?

YES, TWO POMERANIANS. ONE NAMED TWINKLE, AND ONE NAMED CUPCAKE.

Question 102:

What's the best way to take out the guard dogs?

STEP ON THEM

:insane::insane::insane::insane::insane::insane::insane::insane::insane:

Question 98:

Does he keep the books at his house?

Question 99:

Does he have an alarm system on his house?

Question 100:

Is the book in a safe?

Question 101:

Does he have guard dogs?

Question 102:

What's the best way to take out the guard dogs?

:insane::insane::insane::insane::insane::insane::insane::insane::insane:

lol

the answer is no. Everyone knew it was a ridiculous price to pay. ( SO did Dave, but he was willing to pay what it took no matter what.) And thast he'd be buried in that book for a long time... Everybody was right. But its been almost 30 years later, the hobby continued to grow, its status as the BEST copy has never been challenged, and now he is the very proud owner of the very best copy of the very best comic book in the world.

Yes, this is basically correct! (thumbs u

Based upon my conversations with Dave in the past, he always felt that he had paid an absurb price for the book since it repesented a significant multiple to guide. Although multiples to guide are common nowadays, it was basically unheard of back in the 70's.

I guess Chuck was just ahead of the times when he priced out the Edgar Church books.

you certainly could say he was ahead of the times but i more think of him as a trendsetter! If not for Chuck prices on books might be far less across the board nowadays.

I must say i am surprised the dentist has never released a scan of the book for all to see! Obviously it's his right to keep it all to himself but i think he should let the rest of the hobby get a glimpse of it's most prized treasure!

I bet it looks like every other high grade color touched Action 1.

I realize you write that tongue-in-cheek, but wasn't Snyder the guy who went nuts color touching Church keys?

the answer is no. Everyone knew it was a ridiculous price to pay. ( SO did Dave, but he was willing to pay what it took no matter what.) And thast he'd be buried in that book for a long time... Everybody was right. But its been almost 30 years later, the hobby continued to grow, its status as the BEST copy has never been challenged, and now he is the very proud owner of the very best copy of the very best comic book in the world.

Based upon my conversations with Dave in the past, he always felt that he had paid an absurb price for the book since it repesented a significant multiple to guide. Although multiples to guide are common nowadays, it was basically unheard of back in the 70's.

I guess Chuck was just ahead of the times when he priced out the Edgar Church books.

Indeed Chuck was WAAAY ahead of his time.Every MH bookk he bought was2.5 to 3.5 guide.And yes he had marvels at one time as he bought submariner 2-10.

Wasnt that Mark Wilson?

you certainly could say he was ahead of the times but i more think of him as a trendsetter! If not for Chuck prices on books might be far less across the board nowadays.

I must say i am surprised the dentist has never released a scan of the book for all to see! Obviously it's his right to keep it all to himself but i think he should let the rest of the hobby get a glimpse of it's most prized treasure!

I realize you write that tongue-in-cheek, but wasn't Snyder the guy who went nuts color touching Church keys?

Wasnt that Mark Wilson?

Wasnt that Mark Wilson?

I could understand various reasons that a scan of this book may not be released for many more years.

1. Its bound to cop its fair share of flak for whatever reason.

2. It gives us all something to dream about.

3. What legendary book would we have to move on to. It is the grail & until the grail goes public it will alway be a topic of wonder, rumour & scuttlebutt.

Imagine if you owned a book & legend had it that Nic Cage offered you 3 Million for it. The stories would be worth almost as much as the book.

I am suprised that it has not been in Lettermans top 10 already.

Russ...

Wasnt that Mark Wilson?

I am unsure about Wilson's involvement, but Snyder is the name that has been attached to "touching up" many Church Books.

If I were this Dentist and owned such high caliber books, I'd try to keep as low a profile as possible as far as my million dollar books are involved. Just exposing the damn thing to scanner light could be detrimental and imagine the amount of request you would get to view the book. The guy was wise enough and lucky enough, even though he paid a bundle at the time, to procur this book, that it's up to him to whatever he wants with it. Until a better copy comes along, this guy has the nicest copy of the greatest comic book ever. Some might consider that to be quite an accomplishment.....I don't. Discovering a cure for oral cancer...that would be an accomplshment.

The Dentist did once come on the boards to clarify a sale he was involved in, and is an intermittant regular on the bay, so he is around.

The fact that he has a low profile these days, more reflects that he has been in the hobby for quite a long time. And perceivably has gone through the hoops of being a big name collector. And the advent of these boards does not trigger a new lease on a more publicly minded profile... he's been there done that long ago.

The Dentist did once come on the boards to clarify a sale he was involved in, and is an intermittant regular on the bay, so he is around.

The fact that he has a low profile these days, more reflects that he has been in the hobby for quite a long time. And perceivably has gone through the hoops of being a big name collector. And the advent of these boards does not trigger a new lease on a more publicly minded profile... he's been there done that long ago.

The dentist has made brief appearances here.

I wonder if he sat down and read that Action 1 after he bought it. He strikes me as the type of collector who might do that.