• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

POST THOSE GREAT SILVER AGE HOUSE ADS!

15 posts in this topic

I heard there was a thread in bronze and gold for house ads, what...not one in silver? C'mon, get your reader copies out and let's see those house ads that drove us crazy wanting more comics.

I posted this in the general forum, lets start something here!

I upgraded my Brave and the Bold 48 (July 63) and was looking through my piece of cra...er undercopy, and saw this cool ad. This is how my comic addic...er collecting started, seeing ads like this that made me want to read all of those books (yes, read). Dang that Fox and the Crow even has a cool cover, can you imagine what the Pac Coast copy of that must look like?

Oh, the guy on the left corner? That's Johnny DC...the short lived mascot of DC during the early 60's....there's a piece of trivia for you. lol

dc1963ad.jpg

This thread has potential! I used to love looking at the ads in old DC's, especially before the internet when you couldn't easily find the covers of books you didn't own.

Here's a historic one from House of Secrets (not sure of the issue).

SH22housead.jpg

I don't know if the link above killed the thread, or just lack of interest, but I'd like to try and kick-start this thread again to see if we get any fresh response on it. DC probably had the best publicity dept at the time and produced some little gems. Marvel/Atlas didn't seem to get into house ad until the mid Silver Age, and other publishers could be hit and miss in self promotion, but like Silver says in the original post, they did drive us crazy for more, and they were a handy reference too!

This one interested me because it came at the cusp of DC raising their prices from  10 cents to 12, so the price is left blank.

c389cf0d0bf710d72535d629761ad7d6.jpg

Meanwhile, over at Marvel in 1962....

Om_EqLk4onaCFP29K12H0ZIS_cYWL4dtfCJ7tOzZ

Edited by Gnasher

Charlton Comics from what I can gather, had their hiatus for advertising around the mid 60s ..... Like most things Charlton they liked to get most for their buck, mention all titles for the genre and focus on one , or two particular issues....

From 1965...

4c16d0ff66ed2a85cb6cb6eb61c240fd.jpg

178cb52e5f3ff59b9c92f9d39f640b16.jpg

And 1967....

71da49dfd694b15bcaf61c745c4f2b6e.jpg