• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF#16

10 posts in this topic

You bought that from E-Bay a few months ago, didn't you? The seller sent me larger scans of those early FFs she had up and several had that foxing.

Send it in! I haven't seen enough slabs with very visible foxing to know how they downgrade for it and I'm curious.

Supposedly, CGC won't 'ding' a book at all for having foxing like this...though why that is, is a mystery to me. I consider foxing a pretty significant 'defect' - it not only affects the appearance of the book, it's actually changing the physical structure of the paper on some level.

That's still a nice copy, but personally I'd give it a FN/VF 7.0 due to the foxing. (And that's assuming it hasn't been trimmed; those corners are awfully sharp!)

I am not sure what CGC does with that degree of foxing but I really cannot see it reaching much higher then a 5.0/5.5. Overstreet guidelines will not allow that much foxing in the higher grades. I bet from its coloration that it probably has a slight acidic odor and cream/tan pages, both will definitely keep it in that 5.0 range.

Tom

I am not sure what CGC does with that degree of foxing but I really cannot see it reaching much higher then a 5.0/5.5. Overstreet guidelines will not allow that much foxing in the higher grades. I bet from its coloration that it probably has a slight acidic odor and cream/tan pages, both will definitely keep it in that 5.0 range.

Tom

Yeah, your right. It's the first time I noticed overstreet allowing MINOR foxing in anything from a Fine/Very Fine to a VF+. Probably way off on my initial grade. blush.gif Considering the word "minor" gonna' drop to a Fine with that amount of foxing on the comic. But I'm still not sure what CGC would do with this. confused.gif

You might get a 8.0 from CGC, but don't expect more than 6.0 money from a buyer if you put up a large scan and honestly state in the auction there is significant foxing.

Collectors don't like that moldy stuff... news.gif