• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your first comic?

311 posts in this topic

Shortly after catching... I think it was Wayne's World 2 in a neighboring town's small movie theater, my uncle took us to the local Hasting's. I still remember browsing the magazines and stumbling across the comic book section.

And there he was.

The blue blur.

Issue #8.

nl1ml5.jpg

I had always been a fan of the hedgehog from his Saturday morning cartoon series, and eventually his adventures on the Sega Genesis... but this issue introduced me to both comic books and the marvel universe. I started following his adventures on/off throughout the years, and would soon move on to Marvel (mostly Spider-Man and the X-Men) and peak with Chaos Comics (still a bit bummed they went under, especially before finishing the Dark Alliance arc).

Yup, a simple Archie comic started it all... and that's why issues #8 and #25 (more mushy sentimental reasons lol) will always be my personal #1 and #2/"holy grails".

first Marvel comic I read was:

AmazingSpider-Man077.jpg

Not long after that I bought a three pack from the grocery store (they didn't have loose copies at the time) with Hulk 190, FF 161 & ASM 147 (still have all three-- really rough looking copies though). That purchase was around when I started getting into trading comics with the rest of the guys in the neighborhood. I didn't trade these-- everyone had them-- but was lucky to stumble into a stack of used comics whie doing some paper recycling with the scouts (going house to house getting people old papers). I wish I could remember what was in that stack.

That ASM 77 was always a favorite cover for me and I consider it the spark issue that got me excited about comics in general. That and my cousins insanely massive collection of X-Men etc. The next big step was discovering the racks at 7-11 one day. I made a pilgrimage on my bike every month after collecting my paper route subscription money and bought a copy of everything I could short of DCs and non-superhero stuff.

Spidey Super Stories #27. Actually owned the original cover art to it for a while, but sadly had to sell at one point. It was one of the better covers in the series with Thor and Loki by JR Sr.

I was just a pup in the early 90's but my first comic I ever purchased with my hard earned allowance was the Death of Superman of which I still have to this day, including the black arm band!

Everytime I see that book, I'm filled with sense of pride and nostalgia. And the collection keeps growing Grin

My first comic was Marvel Tales #39, a reprint of Amazing Spiderman (The Tentacles and the Trap). I got it at a used book store and it left me hanging so I had go track down a #40. That got me hooked.

I still have it. It grades at a Good but would be worthless on the market in any grade. But I'll keep it because it got me started :)

I bought 3 at the same time... Flash V2 #52, The Original Ghost Rider Rides again #1 & Batman #464 in 1991. Bought them in a local supermarket. Didn't really get into comics till I bought Spawn #1 in 1992. After that, my collection increased.

Silver Surfer-Vol 3-41 "Job Hunting" I saw the cover and thought "What the hell?" My mom saw me reading it and bought it for me. I was 13 at the time I believe. I would get that one graded as I still have it but I read it alot and it is not in that great of shape even though it is not that old of a book.