• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art behind glass: Show off your framed art!
11 11

2,015 posts in this topic

Bit of a f***-up at the local framers I use, but something good came out of it . . .

Couple of weeks ago I ordered a frame & matt for my SODOM AND GOMORRAH painting. Despite the guy in the shop measuring everything at the time, after I collected the frame this morning and went about inserting the painting into the frame, I found that the matt (or mount board, if you prefer) was too narrow to accommodate the width of the painting.

Faced with the prospect of returning the frame, I decided to see if might be suitable for another painting on my list of things to do (art-wise).

Vic Fair's REMO prototype painting was near-as-damn-it a snug fit . . . the width of the painting was a perfect match, with maybe a half-inch cropped from the top. Best of all, the colour of the matt I chose for S&G nicely complements the New York city night-time backdrop to the REMO prototype.

Excuse the lousy photo . . . difficult to photograph this one indoors.

Remo rev.jpg

Edited by The Voord

7 minutes ago, The Voord said:

Bit of a f***-up at the local framers I use, but something good came out of it . . .

Couple of weeks ago I ordered a frame & matt for my SODOM AND GOMORRAH painting. Despite the guy in the shop measuring everything at the time, after I collected the frame this morning and went about inserting the painting into the frame, I found that the matt (or mount board, if you prefer) was too narrow to accommodate the width of the painting.

Faced with the prospect of returning the frame, I decided to see if might be suitable for another painting on my list of things to do (art-wise).

Vic Fair's REMO prototype painting was near-as-damn-it a snug fit . . . the width of the painting was a perfect match, with maybe a half-inch cropped from the top. Best of all, the colour of the matt I chose for S&G nicely complements the New York city night-time backdrop to the REMO prototype.

Excuse the lousy photo . . . difficult to photograph this one indoors.

Remo rev.jpg

Great frame and even better poster art. I know the movie wasnt a critical or financial success - but as a kid I loved it.  Brings back great memories.

13 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

Great frame and even better poster art. I know the movie wasnt a critical or financial success - but as a kid I loved it.  Brings back great memories.

I've said it before about this poster, I'll say it again - I have a real soft spot for this movie. As awful as I know it is, it is still fun.

I don't collect on a weekly basis anymore, so whenever I hear an arc, or new book is worthwhile I generally wait for the collected trade to come to market.  And so it was with Superman Rebirth from Tomasi/Gleason.  I fairly recently purchased the deluxe edition collecting the first 13 issues and felt reconnected with Big Blue.  There are several reasons for this, chiefly being that I have been disappointed with Superman's portrayal in the new movies.  It's not the Superman I recognize, to a large extent, and Rebirth really brought something back into the world that I think we all need right now. 

And second is that the Rebirth storyline (Superman as a family man) spoke to me in an unexpected way as my wife and I are expecting the birth of our second child (a boy) this March.  So, I'll finally have a perfect reason to post Jor-El's quote (the son becomes the father...) all over the place.  

I know the page is a bit cliche, but it'll be nice to have it as a daily reminder in my bedroom that Superman is, indeed, here to stay.

Mick Gray inked, and sold me the page.  He was great to deal with, as several of you relayed to me.  Cheers.

Framed Superman.jpg

superman0613.jpg

On 12/31/2017 at 8:50 AM, vodou said:

Somebody on CAF (can't remember his name) had a game room that was wall to wall comic cover art on top and comic on the bottom...it was really nice. In your case, I'd suggest a double-window with the inks on top and pencils below, no published page. (Triple is getting very tall if nothing else!) Ultimately it's up to you. The point being...when you do a few this way, they hang better together tall than wide. IMO ;)

Lou Haberman has an impressive collection and an equally impressive display.  :golfclap:

7 hours ago, mister_not_so_nice said:

Lou Haberman has an impressive collection and an equally impressive display.  :golfclap:

Wow, alignment must have been fun.  Vodou had it backwards on the order, but I do think the larger art would work better on the top of the comic (personally). I actually like the way people did up some of the Blade Runner pages with a smaller logo type insert in the top right corner to balance the art and comic page, though I have been looking at props lately and the prop world seems more accepting of explanatory text on framed pieces. 

2 hours ago, cstojano said:

Wow, alignment must have been fun.  Vodou had it backwards on the order, but I do think the larger art would work better on the top of the comic (personally). I actually like the way people did up some of the Blade Runner pages with a smaller logo type insert in the top right corner to balance the art and comic page, though I have been looking at props lately and the prop world seems more accepting of explanatory text on framed pieces. 

Yep Haberman, that's the guy I was thinking of. Funny how I projected my own preference in error onto my memory of his presentation though! I now am old. It is official.

One of the few pieces I have framed is a cover recreation by Alex Maleev of his cover to Daredevil issue 57 which was my favorite issue from my favorite arc. The King of Hells Kitchen was Bendis and Maleev firing on all cylinders. Alex was at a guest of I think Anthony’s Comic Art in SDCC back in 2007 and he created this for me on the spot. Still on of my favorite pieces. 

97146EE3-37B3-4E8D-A718-0441AF382E78.jpeg

Another painting back from the framers.  Nice piece of artwork even if the movie it's designed to promote is really dreadful!  Oliver Reed is a great actor but this probably rates as the worst role he ever performed in a Horror comedy that fails to amuse . . .

SDC14037.jpg

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:25 AM, The Voord said:

Another painting back from the framers.  Nice piece of artwork even if the movie it's designed to promote is really dreadful!  Oliver Reed is a great actor but this probably rates as the worst role he ever performed in a Horror comedy that fails to amuse . . .

SDC14037.jpg

Oliver REED!  He haunts me.  That guy was in a lot of movies.  He was in a knight movie I saw when I was younger (BlackArrow?) and GOR!  I once lost a $500 trivia contest LITERALLY due to not knowing 'Name the actor who died during the filming of Gladiator, on location in Italy, drinking at a bar.'  lol  But seriously, sharp framing job.

19 hours ago, williamhlawson said:

Oliver REED!  He haunts me.  That guy was in a lot of movies.  He was in a knight movie I saw when I was younger (BlackArrow?) and GOR!  I once lost a $500 trivia contest LITERALLY due to not knowing 'Name the actor who died during the filming of Gladiator, on location in Italy, drinking at a bar.'  lol  But seriously, sharp framing job.

Good way for Ollie to depart planet Earth.  I want to go the same way . . .