• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art behind glass: Show off your framed art!
11 11

2,015 posts in this topic

Back from the framers today . . . DAY OF THE EVIL GUN (1968) Movie Poster painting, possibly by Jack Thurston.  Overall framed painting measuring a large 41" x 31".  Excuse the camera glare . . . difficult to photograph with glass reflection.  This was a restoration job, about six months in the making.  As bought, the painting had condition issues (it was relatively inexpensive, and I saw possibilities).  The captioned materials were re-created for me by my print-maker friend in Los Angeles, Lloyd Braddy, which makes the end-result a joint-collaboration.

Before and after photos as follows . . .

Evil Gun (as bought).jpg

SDC14602.jpg

Another one back from the framers . . . American one-sheet design for AND NOW THE SCREAMING STARTS (1973). The painting was minus captions, which I added in the form of a re-created elements placed on top of a mylar overlay. With thanks to Doug Murray who sold me the painting.

SDC14801.jpg

I commissioned Yale Stewart of JL8 fame (click the link and read, you'll be glad you did) to create a Silver Age Lil Legion piece for me using the Silver Age team. He nailed what I wanted. The commission included a print which I have had framed.

You can see the OA, a better scan of the art, and read more about its creation by clicking here.

You can see this piece and other framed art on the walls by clicking the image below.image.png.ee9d1ce90764f434f4a53fbb2c13db8d.png

Edited by alxjhnsn

Just got this framed. I remember being terrified of Freddy Krueger when I was growing up. He was basically what I envisioned the boogeyman looked like. It's crazy because now I find him absolutely hilarious lol   

For more info on the OA:

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1500716

97E94E43-035D-40D8-810A-3BA40622CAF3.jpeg

Edited by Sniper9311

New art on the wall! We picked this up at Heroescon 2018 and just got it back from the framer. Kathy put it in a place of honor - our den.

Thanks to the artist, David Petersen, who made it available to us.

I should mention that you can see a bigger image here: http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1479894

Also, David's books are available wherever fine books are sold, e.g., your LCS and, of course, Amazon (search for Mouse Guard).

CBDCC034-4E2C-45D3-A686-A58434587633.jpeg

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 1:56 PM, Sniper9311 said:

Just got this framed. I remember being terrified of Freddy Krueger when I was growing up. He was basically the boogeyman for me as a kid. It's crazy because now I find him absolutely hilarious lol   

For more info on the OA:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1481810

97E94E43-035D-40D8-810A-3BA40622CAF3.jpeg

Wolverine should get himself a striped sweatshirt!

I am in the process of getting some art framed and am wondering whether people predominantly choose white or black as the primary matte colour surrounding a black and white panel page?

Definitely going black frame and was thinking black matte - but the framer (did not have the art with me) - said that with a black and white piece that he typically sees the use of a white matte, however looking through photos of panel pages here it seems people predominantly choose black mattes - just wondering if there was a specific reason?

2 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

I am in the process of getting some art framed and am wondering whether people predominantly choose white or black as the primary matte colour surrounding a black and white panel page?

Definitely going black frame and was thinking black matte - but the framer (did not have the art with me) - said that with a black and white piece that he typically sees the use of a white matte, however looking through photos of panel pages here it seems people predominantly choose black mattes - just wondering if there was a specific reason?

I always go with a darker color, never white. White shows of the discoloration of the white of the art page. Stick with black or dark grey. 

1 minute ago, Blastaar said:

I always go with a darker color, never white. White shows of the discoloration of the white of the art page. Stick with black or dark grey. 

That was a concern I had as well.