• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art behind glass: Show off your framed art!
11 11

2,015 posts in this topic

On 9/5/2018 at 12:34 PM, Andahaion said:

Here is my attempt to add some context to my framed art. Interested in any feedback...

8AD0F2C6-4062-4F45-92B7-64B357C9C2F6.jpeg

Cool piece. I think it turned out well. Couple questions: 1. Did you go with at thicker ply mat board since it's a single (hard to tell from the pic) and 2. Is it mounted with the corner hangers? I want to frame some more of mine, but the last time more of the art board got covered up than I would've preferred. 

Edited by awayne83

On 9/22/2018 at 11:19 PM, awayne83 said:

Cool piece. I think it turned out well. Couple questions: 1. Did you go with at thicker ply mat board since it's a single (hard to tell from the pic) and 2. Is it mounted with the corner hangers? I want to frame some more of mine, but the last time more of the art board got covered up than I would've preferred. 

Hey, sorry.  I meant to reply much earlier than now.  Yes, it's a thicker one ply mat that is effectively two ply.  Yes again, corner hangers.  My framer tells me she only needs about 1/8 of an inch for the mat, so I've been able to mat just the art, or like in this instance where you can still see the artists' signatures as well as page info at the top.

On 10/5/2018 at 10:08 AM, The Voord said:

Just back from the framers (excuse the flashlight reflection) . . . Reynold Brown's very first movie campaign painting for 'The World in His Arms' (1952).  Total framed area is a large 40" x 33"

World in His Arms.jpg

How I've avoided the flash is laying the picture flat on the ground.  Then standing at an edge and use the CamScanner and crop outside the frame area.  

9 hours ago, Peter L said:

How I've avoided the flash is laying the picture flat on the ground.  Then standing at an edge and use the CamScanner and crop outside the frame area.  

Thanks, though it's only a quick reference shot, so it serves a purpose!  There's a better (pre-framed) image in my CAF.

16 minutes ago, Heidjer Staecker said:

Two page splash from Promethea ... JH Williams.  I generally like the plain black frames for a lot of my comic art, but this silver, vine frame seemed to highlight the art more.

IMG_9331.jpg

Totally agree with you, that frame enhance the art.
Welcome to the boards.

On 10/9/2018 at 8:48 AM, Heidjer Staecker said:

Two page splash from Promethea ... JH Williams.  I generally like the plain black frames for a lot of my comic art, but this silver, vine frame seemed to highlight the art more.

IMG_9331.jpg

I like it. Let me add that I think too many people go for a black and white look which I think makes the image too austere. This picks up the intracacy of the piece nicely.

Not sure if anyone has tried it - but if there is a thrift store near you -  they often sell framed art for less than the cost of framing.  It's not too hard to take out the art and put in your art.  Just an idea for anyone trying to budget. One other positive- some old frames are quite cool - so you can find some unique options. For me - finding a cool frame is often the primary interest as the  big box guys have limited options.

Edited by Panelfan1

1 hour ago, The Voord said:

Another one back from the framers.  Reynold Brown's Movie Poster OA painting for the 1954 film, DAWN AT SOCORRO.  Please excuse the glass reflection . . .

Dawn at Socorro.jpg

Fantastic job!  What size are movie poster OA paintings?  Are they generally larger than twice-up pages?

56 minutes ago, GreatEscape said:

Fantastic job!  What size are movie poster OA paintings?  Are they generally larger than twice-up pages?

Sizes can vary widely. Generally, larger than (comic-book OA) twice-up pages, yes.

DAWN AT SOCORRO has an art image size of about 23" x 15", which is the smallest Reynold Brown painting I own.  

Largest Reynold Brown movie poster painting I have, THE WORLD IN HIS ARMS (1952),  has an art image size of 32" x 25"

Edited by The Voord