• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art behind glass: Show off your framed art!
11 11

2,015 posts in this topic

On 4/30/2019 at 3:51 PM, munster said:

Some of my Powell Goon art framed. 

Should've went with a double mat on the first piece or a different color. My son pointed out that "it looks like its sitting on cardboard".

I spent close to an hour picking out a frame and mat color for the cover, luckily I was on the clock. I really like the way it turned out. 

1556329300326-205e378b-e6da-479d-9a9c-9a8e1587f03b_.thumb.jpg.eb1346b7d5a588296430e27d4da33338.jpg1556329191130-f7af0e75-eea1-4949-bbf0-ad870a0f6bf5_.thumb.jpg.36f50136ccc0265a9db3f0d71eeaa4f1.jpg1556328557660-6c9feb33-a4a4-4c95-ba58-ec03856d4607_.thumb.jpg.57841ed0d0399bd7e4f525df0e26a683.jpg

Great artwork, I really like Powell's 'The Goon'.

20 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

Last year I acquired the Comics Journal #150 cover by Mark Schultz. One of my favorite pieces by him, which I wanted to frame and hang in my den. But the shape of the image didn't fit the standard rectangular framing. I decided to do some research into my options. I was able to find a local framer who could computer laser cut the matte. It took a while and a bit of trial and error. I ended up designing the opening in Illustrator and they converted it to their CAD program. I really love the results.
Here is the framed piece, will hang it tomorrow. I didn't use my traditional double mattes like most of the rest of my inked pieces. It got too complicated with the first cutout around the comics. Hard to get the spacing consistant between the two mates. Decided on just one.

comic_journal_150.thumb.jpg.e97ff34abf6149d3f171e2c2946e18e2.jpg

Looks great Brian.

10 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

Last year I acquired the Comics Journal #150 cover by Mark Schultz. One of my favorite pieces by him, which I wanted to frame and hang in my den. But the shape of the image didn't fit the standard rectangular framing. I decided to do some research into my options. I was able to find a local framer who could computer laser cut the matte. It took a while and a bit of trial and error. I ended up designing the opening in Illustrator and they converted it to their CAD program. I really love the results.
Here is the framed piece, will hang it tomorrow. I didn't use my traditional double mattes like most of the rest of my inked pieces. It got too complicated with the first cutout around the comics. Hard to get the spacing consistant between the two mates. Decided on just one.

comic_journal_150.thumb.jpg.e97ff34abf6149d3f171e2c2946e18e2.jpg

The framer did a wonderful job.
It looks beautiful congratulations…!

23 hours ago, dichotomy said:

Those perspective lines are perfect! Bravo! 

Thanks! Used regular paper to create templates,  then scotch tape and a leveler to make sure my placement was perfect, that way knew exactly where the nail placement needed to be. 

download_20190113_115018.jpg

1 hour ago, Stefanomjr said:

Used regular paper to create templates,  then scotch tape and a leveler to make sure my placement was perfect, that way knew exactly where the nail placement needed to be.

Good thing the Earth is perfectly flat.

Whiskey helps. 

That Bill S. Superman is a classic bit of graphic design/iconography. Very cool.

And I am always fond of pages by Kelley and George from that particular issue of Sandman. Their shifting visual styles was epic, and drove home what made the dreaming, and the series so unique. Even the run of talking head panels between Dream and his stream of visitors were artistically invested and conceptually fantastic. Their execution of this helped the whole rest of the series, with its ever changing roster of artists. As Neil would play to everyone’s strengths. Very nice example.

6 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

Whiskey helps. 

That Bill S. Superman is a classic bit of graphic design/iconography. Very cool.

And I am always fond of pages by Kelley and George from that particular issue of Sandman. Their shifting visual styles was epic, and drove home what made the dreaming, and the series so unique. Even the run of talking head panels between Dream and his stream of visitors were artistically invested and conceptually fantastic. Their execution of this helped the whole rest of the series, with its ever changing roster of artists. As Neil would play to everyone’s strengths. Very nice example.

Klein’s lettering too - this series really let him stretch.