• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art behind glass: Show off your framed art!
11 11

2,015 posts in this topic

Well done, both pieces look amazing!   

Question:  when framing painted / colored art, how do you decide whether to use a mat, glass, both or neither?  I haven't been consistent over the years but lately I tend to use mat+glass for all but the largest pieces, for which I use neither.  Curious how others approach this hm

On 2/17/2020 at 10:12 PM, Mephisto said:

I’ve been getting a lot of stuff framed since I’ve moved. Got this one back yesterday and it’s fairly large. The fiancé loves Dark Phoenix so it’s hanging over the TV in the living room.

9B983259-BB55-4427-8DDE-1C5B2ABBE38F.jpeg

Absolutely stunning. Very nicely done!

1 hour ago, GreatEscape said:

Well done, both pieces look amazing!   

Question:  when framing painted / colored art, how do you decide whether to use a mat, glass, both or neither?  I haven't been consistent over the years but lately I tend to use mat+glass for all but the largest pieces, for which I use neither.  Curious how others approach this hm

It depends what type of paint was used, material painted on, and if there is a varnish. The Dark Phoenix is oil on masonite so I didn't use any glass. I do have some pieces under glass with no mat that have spacers along the edge to keep the glass from touching, those pieces were painted right up to the edge of the board. Usually painted stuff with white borders where the whole board wasn't used get a mat from me. That X-Men piece is actually a frame I reused which is why the mat isn't even dimensions all the way around as it was originally for a different piece I had but sold. I actually need to either get it reframed because I noticed when I moved to our new place the piece was sliding around inside the frame behind the mat. It actually slightly off but I was able to mostly tap it back into place for now.  

This is another wall of the den so far. I had some ideas of which paintings I wanted where but sometimes certain pieces plug in well. Also if I wind up with a piece my fiancé likes it can go in the bedroom and I don’t have to use den wall space. She gives me a lot of latitude on what can go in the bedroom.

The ceilings are 9 feet tall so that gives you an idea on how large some pieces are.

63054F2E-9E2B-4E19-9F57-B8B59E9AE888.jpeg

Edited by Mephisto

15 hours ago, davidtere said:

My 'comic' room is always in a bit of a mess (shrug). I'm always doing something in there. These are two areas of the room where I have the room to put something on the wall. Just too many bookcases that eat up wall space, but it's the only room in the house that has no exposure to natural light. Oh...probably obvious that I am a fan of Jack Kirby. 

fullsizeoutput_6ce.jpeg

IMG_2082.jpg

ED220F7A-3B6C-4A36-8C10-428A083AF349.gif.55082d4b875e0619e6b3f04a2a45d443.gif

On 2/19/2020 at 5:27 PM, davidtere said:

My 'comic' room is always in a bit of a mess (shrug). I'm always doing something in there. These are two areas of the room where I have the room to put something on the wall. Just too many bookcases that eat up wall space, but it's the only room in the house that has no exposure to natural light. Oh...probably obvious that I am a fan of Jack Kirby. 

fullsizeoutput_6ce.jpeg

IMG_2082.jpg

Awestruck by this display! Congratulations! 

18 minutes ago, Benedict Judas Hel said:

Here’s my modest collection of Vega/Baroness commissions I have framed on my wall.  Hoping to add more in the upcoming months (on the adjacent wall) and a framed comic page or two...

6FBF2F15-7743-4D1B-AE26-2A5EDA50AFF5.jpeg

got to ask...what made you settle on these to characters to collect?

24 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

got to ask...what made you settle on these to characters to collect?

Well, being a villain aficionado, I always gravitated towards Cobra during my G.I. Joe days as an 80’s youth.  My Cobra toys vastly outnumbered my Joes and while I never had The Baroness toy as a kid, she was the quintessential vamp: black attire, dark hair, light skin.  It didn’t hurt that she wore glasses and had an accent.  And growing up, it’s those physical characteristics that I find attractive in a female.

As for Vega, being a teen during early 90’s, I immersed myself in the fighting video game craze and Capcom’s Street Fighter was the first game that hooked me.  When the Champions Edition came out and Vega became a selectable character, I chose him because he was a bad guy, wore a mask, had a claw and won me many a battle on my college campus.  He was arrogant, handsome, vain, slim and loved beautiful women.  I could see a little bit of his character in myself.  Not too much!  Just a little.  Not enough to make me psychotic like him.  So he was always my go-to character.

Fast forward to my commission collecting, I knew that if I didn’t choose a theme, my personality would go all over the place and not have a focus.  I would jump from character to character and have to get many characters from a certain artist instead of just 1 or 2 preset ones like I’m doing now.  It helps keep my spending down to a minimum plus not to overcrowd my already cramped living quarters from my different collections (toys, lunchboxes, cartoon glasses, video games, movies, music, costumes, comic books).

Thanks for asking and I hope I answered your question!  Love the villain name by the way!  I have a Blastaar Marvel Universe 3 3/4 figure in my collection next to Black Bolt...

17 minutes ago, Benedict Judas Hel said:

Well, being a villain aficionado, I always gravitated towards Cobra during my G.I. Joe days as an 80’s youth.  My Cobra toys vastly outnumbered my Joes and while I never had The Baroness toy as a kid, she was the quintessential vamp: black attire, dark hair, light skin.  It didn’t hurt that she wore glasses and had an accent.  And growing up, it’s those physical characteristics that I find attractive in a female.

As for Vega, being a teen during early 90’s, I immersed myself in the fighting video game craze and Capcom’s Street Fighter was the first game that hooked me.  When the Champions Edition came out and Vega became a selectable character, I chose him because he was a bad guy, wore a mask, had a claw and won me many a battle on my college campus.  He was arrogant, handsome, vain, slim and loved beautiful women.  I could see a little bit of his character in myself.  Not too much!  Just a little.  Not enough to make me psychotic like him.  So he was always my go-to character.

Fast forward to my commission collecting, I knew that if I didn’t choose a theme, my personality would go all over the place and not have a focus.  I would jump from character to character and have to get many characters from a certain artist instead of just 1 or 2 preset ones like I’m doing now.  It helps keep my spending down to a minimum plus not to overcrowd my already cramped living quarters from my different collections (toys, lunchboxes, cartoon glasses, video games, movies, music, costumes, comic books).

Thanks for asking and I hope I answered your question!  Love the villain name by the way!  I have a Blastaar Marvel Universe 3 3/4 figure in my collection next to Black Bolt...

Thanks for answering. Always wanted to go for a theme for commissions but never settled on one.