• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art behind glass: Show off your framed art!
11 11

2,015 posts in this topic

On 2/21/2020 at 4:01 PM, Benedict Judas Hel said:

Well, being a villain aficionado, I always gravitated towards Cobra during my G.I. Joe days as an 80’s youth.  My Cobra toys vastly outnumbered my Joes and while I never had The Baroness toy as a kid, she was the quintessential vamp: black attire, dark hair, light skin.  It didn’t hurt that she wore glasses and had an accent.  And growing up, it’s those physical characteristics that I find attractive in a female.

Cobra! These actually hang in the bedroom on the wall at the foot of my fiancé’s side of the bed. She likes these two especially the Cobra Commander.

F0795653-71F4-4025-A77C-68EA32A2F944.jpeg

This might be a stupid question, but if you get your art in a custom frame (in my case by Michaels) and I want to swap art that’s in the frame (an upgrade from the same series as it were) is just as easy as removing the backing and handling myself or is this something that Michael’s themselves can do or am I just out of luck and have to keep the old one in there?

29 minutes ago, ZimmermanTelegram said:

This might be a stupid question, but if you get your art in a custom frame (in my case by Michaels) and I want to swap art that’s in the frame (an upgrade from the same series as it were) is just as easy as removing the backing and handling myself or is this something that Michael’s themselves can do or am I just out of luck and have to keep the old one in there?

They can swap them out. it used to cost $15

22 hours ago, Mephisto said:

Cobra! These actually hang in the bedroom on the wall at the foot of my fiancé’s side of the bed. She likes these two especially the Cobra Commander.

Those are pretty freaking awesome!  I have a poster I had framed as well.  While it may not be original art, I thought it was pretty cool for a propaganda piece:

A097ED1C-3181-427C-8AE2-27C51575C73F.jpeg

P.S. I see that you have the Arcade 1Up Marvel Super Heroes cabinet.  My Juggernaut, Mephisto/Blackheart and Shuma-Gorath were fairly unbeatable at the arcade.  In fact, Juggernaut almost became the character I chose for my commissions motif...

Edited by Benedict Judas Hel

On 2/21/2020 at 3:32 PM, Captain Canuck said:

Does anyone ever use Command Strips to hang their art?

I have used them to hang a few framed lobby cards. I used 2 medium size strips (50 lb. capacity, ea.) for the top two corners [one strip adhered to the frame & one to the wall, four strips total per frame].

I haven't yet used them for framed original comic book art, but, I will in the future.

20200308_104152.jpg

20200308_104218.jpg

20200308_104245.jpg

FWIW the adhesive from those Velcro strips will do a LOT more damage to the average wall when removing them than a couple tiny nail holes in a proper picture hanging hook. The tiny nail holes can be patched in seconds. The adhesives from those Velcro strips are not exactly archival friendly. They may stain the wall they are applied to as the residue ages on the wall (depending on how long they are left in place. And the longer an adhesive stays on a wall, the more aggressive it becomes. Eventually  likely to take the paint off the wall (and possibly some drywall with them, at or larger than the surface area of the strips.

Thise are the ones that stay up, the web is littered with complaint reviews about people’s art taking a tumble.

But, maybe you’ll be one of the lucky ones?

If it’s my art, I’m securing it to the wall or not hanging it.

2 hours ago, fmaz said:

Finally hit the tipping point today... had to start taking EVERY piece of art of the wall in my comic room and rearranging from square one.  I knew this day was coming, but my latest purchase (A Romita Cap page) pushed me over the edge.  I originally had kept all the published stuff on one wall, and then commissions and sketches on the other, but I knew that couldn't last.  So today I changed it so that the main wall will be Silver/Bronze/Copper art, and the second wall will be Modern art/commissions/sketches.   For today I just did the 2nd wall... but thought I'd show you all the before/after!  Unfortunately, the change means no room for that cool Infinity Gauntlet piece... but I knew that day was coming.

BEFORE:

82019COLLECTION07.thumb.jpg.71980848c8534088aaa4bc97a6d9e5b5.jpg

AFTER:

D0C252BD-4FB8-4B1A-BF2F-0E2E7EE4A863.thumb.jpeg.a1b025e83cd7866897b3ddcd4c0ff4c5.jpeg

If you really need help making some room, I'd be happy to take that Mcguinness splash off your hands hm

8 minutes ago, awayne83 said:

If you really need help making some room, I'd be happy to take that Mcguinness splash off your hands hm

LOL, I appreciate the kind offer!  But as you can see from my humble CAF I don't have that many pieces of art so they're all precious to me.  I meant that Marvel Legends set on the credenza in the "before" picture... that has to go because now it would be blocking art with the new configuration.

BTW I can't post the other wall yet because the Romita Captain America page isn't back from getting framed yet, so I'm waiting until it arrives to redo that side of the room.

Edited by fmaz

1 hour ago, fmaz said:

Finally got around to redoing my main art wall.  Got my Romita Cap page back from the framer 10 days ago... just before the world turned upside down, and haven’t really had the time or energy to do this until now.  But it was nice to focus on something like this today.  Anyway, very happy with the results. Let me know what you all think.  Obviously it was a coordinated reorganization with the other wall (see above) in terms of moving things around thematically, but also making room for more stuff in the future. I now think there's room for 3-4 more pieces on this main wall.  You know, someday.  :)

BEFORE:

21916B9D-8343-4FBB-8662-BE6207324A8F.thumb.jpeg.6900adb91e3a1f44240827d89837744d.jpeg

AFTER:

D0D59A32-6836-46FF-BC74-E5C383EE981C.thumb.jpeg.1e63722a5e158d5970f320d1b3dd85b1.jpeg

E59EFBAD-9701-4E85-87E4-1A5CDF050156.thumb.jpeg.644e9406a0b65047e4c7dd56319ff578.jpeg

C7C039CB-542E-4800-9898-296D319CB806.thumb.jpeg.069ec1bbe364edfbd2c3d2bb575ab676.jpeg

8C852468-B0C5-46D4-91B7-10EEAC978FA0.thumb.jpeg.ee7ad7c1251625da4460432188bb5bf3.jpeg

8BC2DD62-BA1E-4FB9-A440-802AE6E9DA2B.thumb.jpeg.701a7cccc5eadd6c62f5b2627d48a2e9.jpeg

You might want to consider adjusting the picture heights slightly on the top row to create an even, straight line. Otherwise, nice arrangement.

8 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

You might want to consider adjusting the picture heights slightly on the top row to create an even, straight line. Otherwise, nice arrangement.

You have a keen eye!!!   Although, A - easier said than done my friend. LOL... that was our best effort.  :)  and B - our ceiling is also not exactly level in that room, so it sort of throws off the line a bit.

But it's 100 percent true that a few of them were just not quite in line.  We were aiming for 2 inches down from the ceiling, and 1 1/2 inches between.   Other than the two center pieces, we did well on the 1 1/2 inches in between.