• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art behind glass: Show off your framed art!
11 11

2,015 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, fmaz said:

You have a keen eye!!!   Although, A - easier said than done my friend. LOL... that was our best effort.  :)  and B - our ceiling is also not exactly level in that room, so it sort of throws off the line a bit.

But it's 100 percent true that a few of them were just not quite in line.  We were aiming for 2 inches down from the ceiling, and 1 1/2 inches between.   Other than the two center pieces, we did well on the 1 1/2 inches in between.

There are ways to address that problem, which can be difficult. One way, for example, is to set the first picture at the level you want it. Then, using a long level, mark points on the wall which maintain the correct height (the level keeps your hand and the height of the points level). When you have enough points on the wall, run the masking tape to the end. That gives you a straight line. Then tap in your holes, calculating the space between each picture in advance.

10 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

There are ways to address that problem, which can be difficult. One way, for example, is to set the first picture at the level you want it. Then, using a long level, mark points on the wall which maintain the correct height (the level keeps your hand and the height of the points level). When you have enough points on the wall, run the masking tape to the end. That gives you a straight line. Then tap in your holes, calculating the space between each picture in advance.

Right - Getting the target level is never the issue, but because you're dealing with a tension wire on the back of each picture... you measure to the the specifications of each individual frame.  But some wires are a bit tighter or looser than others... and just a touch leads to a bit of height discrepancy.  When we used to hang with those old clawed hooks that nailed into the top of a frame and hung on nails, you could more easily get perfect lines.  But with the wires we find that there's the slight issue.  That's us anyway (when I say us, I mean the wife and I... she's my picture hanging associate LOL).

Our method is that we do all our calculations in advance, and very detailed.... it's all planned out and written down.  Measure multiple times before a nail goes in.   However, once it's hung she'll look at me and go "is that good?" And I'll look at her and I'll judge between how close to perfect it is and how close to "enough of this" she is... and make my call.   In nearly 30 years of marriage I think I've got the measurements just right, at least for me! :)

Edited by fmaz

9 hours ago, fmaz said:

Our method is that we do all our calculations in advance, and very detailed.... it's all planned out and written down.  Measure multiple times before a nail goes in.   However, once it's hung she'll look at me and go "is that good?" And I'll look at her and I'll judge between how close to perfect it is and how close to "enough of this" she is... and make my call.   In nearly 30 years of marriage I think I've got the measurements just right, at least for me!

I applaud your past, present and future marital bliss but, no measurements required...

17 hours ago, vodou said:

Also this, especially if you regularly change arrangements and hate putting holes in your walls ;)

https://www.ashanging.com/en_us/subtle-hanging-system-residential-art-hanging

Subtle hanging system for residential art hanging

Maybe it's just me but I like that ceiling pattern.

Also when displaying framed pictures of different sizes in a vertical or horizontal line, from what I was told by someone who knew far more about it than me. You want to position the smaller frame so that it's centered with the larger frame. If that makes sense. So not lining the frame edges.

3 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Considering your fondness for the characters, do you have a wall with family portraits on it? 

lol  In fact, I do.  We have a ton of non-Peanuts art on the walls as well as family photos.  But Peanuts artwork is definitely starting to be the dominant theme.

On 4/9/2020 at 8:58 AM, cstojano said:

Just got my first oil on panel and am looking to frame. Curious if people know of the best way to reduce frame contact which results in some kind of rubbing to the oil as seen here. Not a huge deal but I'd like to minimize  long term damage if possible. IMG_1051.thumb.jpg.f70c791243101fa056d5f2f3b48c26f9.jpg

Generally speaking, oils should not be framed under glass - but if you just mean the frame itself, it can definitely be spaced so as to protect the finish. 

Edited by Lobstrosity

This piece I purchased on March 9 directly from the artist in France who then shipped it to me in a wooden crate on March 13, then boom, Corona madness. No updates in the tracking system and yesterday March 10 I was able to pick it up at my local USPS branch. By the hand of Hubert de Lartigue, he calls this one “Enjoy”. 

E1EAA017-E889-429D-BFE0-6BD09C26455B.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:

This piece I purchased on March 9 directly from the artist in France who then shipped it to me in a wooden crate on March 13, then boom, Corona madness. No updates in the tracking system and yesterday March 10 I was able to pick it up at my local USPS branch. By the hand of Hubert de Lartigue, he calls this one “Enjoy”. 

E1EAA017-E889-429D-BFE0-6BD09C26455B.jpeg

Your story is similar to mine. This shipped from Italy a week before the quarantine. . .

3C806196-3A4B-45C8-B3D6-DC6EE461B346.jpeg

6C9C43D4-DCEE-42D6-A17D-4B4CD711D56E.jpeg

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

@GreatCaesarsGhost it was a long month of creating reality in my own head. Too many scenarios that would eat at me each day. A sigh of relief to finally see the delivery attempt receipt in my mail box. I opened the box outside as I released the air from France. The box is airing out in my truck for now. Overkill? Nah. BTW What is that you got? Is it a sculpture? Interesting piece.

You guys are killing me. I sent 4500 Euros to a guy in Paris the day before France locked down. I have several months to wait because he didn't have the piece in Paris. Maybe I am getting ripped off but there is little I can do at this point.

31 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:

@GreatCaesarsGhost it was a long month of creating reality in my own head. Too many scenarios that would eat at me each day. A sigh of relief to finally see the delivery attempt receipt in my mail box. I opened the box outside as I released the air from France. The box is airing out in my truck for now. Overkill? Nah. BTW What is that you got? Is it a sculpture? Interesting piece.

Yes, I left my crate in the garage for a week before opening it. It is an odd time of to be getting shipments from Europe. These are carvings in shadow boxes

7B6DF242-DA36-4A83-B15A-26735A486CAF.jpeg

FCE0D5FE-A130-4EF4-B791-4BB92B5BD552.jpeg

FB77C4B4-635A-40CD-91A0-61E20FC4A6D0.jpeg