• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art behind glass: Show off your framed art!
11 11

2,015 posts in this topic

The white feels more "open" somehow but I feel more drawn into the details of the piece (like the mouse's ear) with the black frame. I'll be the dissenting opinion and vote black :banana:

Nice page btw!

-Bob

Great framing jobs all around.

I think the color of the mat depends on the color of your walls.

If you have an all white wall, I would favor a colored mat just to give some contrast when hanging it up on the wall.

The thin strips of color seen in some of the pics (i.e., red or green) give it a nice pop as well. I've also seen some mats at stores where they simulate the look of marble. A nice grey "marble" mat also helps break up the solid color.

Like many of you, I'm testing the framing on lower priced art first. Most art board is standard sized so you can usually swap out the art for something else once you get the mat cut.

Cheers!

Nelson

You must have bought that Mouse Guard page at the NYCC. I remember looking at it and being unable to make up my mind. I think I remember seeing you buy it, as a matter of fact. (I'm a quiet giant guy.)

Congrats on the piece, and the framing looks great. I still haven't framed mine. :(

You must have bought that Mouse Guard page at the NYCC. I remember looking at it and being unable to make up my mind. I think I remember seeing you buy it, as a matter of fact. (I'm a quiet giant guy.)

Congrats on the piece, and the framing looks great. I still haven't framed mine. :(

Wasn't me, no. I bought it online (shrug)

Hopefully there's only one copy of this page :eek::insane:lol

which itoya's are those and do you mylar before you put them in the portfolio?

I use the Itoya 14" X 17" evolution portfolio (part #ev-12-14) which holds 48 OA pages. I found the 11X17 portfolios to be just a little too snug.

I don't put the pages in mylar, just straight into the portfolio

which itoya's are those and do you mylar before you put them in the portfolio?

I use the Itoya 14" X 17" evolution portfolio (part #ev-12-14) which holds 48 OA pages. I found the 11X17 portfolios to be just a little too snug.

I don't put the pages in mylar, just straight into the portfolio

It's also not a bad idea to get a little larger portfolio incase you wind up getting some art that is on a board that is slightly larger than normal. My Spidey Super Stories is a little larger than the standard art board used to day but does still fit in the slightly larger portfolio I bought. Otherwise I would've had to find a place for it like those treasury comics.

I am lucky. My wife is a photographer and offers framing so I have learned to frame and now can do all my stuff myself. We have all the framing tools to do it right and can custom order all the matting and frames. Now I just have to decide what to frame to display.

Avengers 3 page by Jack Kirby. Here's the plain white matte mentioned above. I think I like the white because it doesn't compete with the art for attention.

DSC02618.jpg

Hey Rhino, I know it's a few pages back, but I LOVE this page. Kudos to you for landing it. I agree that the white matting was a smart move, and it doesn't compete w/ the art.

Can I ask how long you've had it and how much it was (just curious how much Kirby pages are, you don't have to answer if you don't want to - I'm just very impressed!)?