• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art behind glass: Show off your framed art!
11 11

2,015 posts in this topic

What do you think is a good price for a Tony Moore Walking Dead Cover?

I would say it depends on the cover. You're looking at a minimum of 1.5-2K most likely, closer to 3-4K for one with zombies. The covers to issues 1-6 are not on the market and currently still in Tony's collection. I believe #19 is for sale for 4K, and most of the rest of his covers are already tucked away in private collections. Personally, I got a sweet deal on this #7 cover :)

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=371863&GSub=54386

Here are two sketches that I recently got framed (picked them up from the frame shop last week, but haven't had time to hang them up yet).

First one is a Hulk sketch by Simon Williams (works for Marvel UK). I had it double-matted in green and purple. This picture really doesn't do the green matting justice (I tried to get a lot of light in the room, but didn't want to use the flash on my digital camera).

1001944jc7.jpg

This is a Hulk vs. Thing sketch, also by Simon Williams. Double-matted in orange and green. I was VERY nervous about orange being the main color, but I like how it turned out. (Sorry for the angle of the pic - I was trying to get close enough to the pic so that you can see, but it cut off part of the frame. Oh well.)

1001942fs5.jpg

And finally, my first piece of "true" original art! I actually bought this for my wfe - she loves Batman, and loves the Joker, so I was able to find some original coloring book art and surprise her with it! Very affordable way to dip my toe into the pool of original art. :) Artist is Loston Wallace. Double-matted in reflective silver (not sure if you can tell from the picture) and black. I'm VERY happy w/ how it turned out, and my wife was VERY surprised and very happy.

1001941ql0.jpg

Here's a close-up of the art itself.

1001948gn3.jpg

(Thank goodness for coupons for framing at Michael's! That week, they had a "Bring 3 pieces, get 60% off!" special. Woo hoo!)

What do you think is a good price for a Tony Moore Walking Dead Cover?

I would say it depends on the cover. You're looking at a minimum of 1.5-2K most likely, closer to 3-4K for one with zombies. The covers to issues 1-6 are not on the market and currently still in Tony's collection. I believe #19 is for sale for 4K, and most of the rest of his covers are already tucked away in private collections. Personally, I got a sweet deal on this #7 cover :)

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=371863&GSub=54386

:gossip:

Here are two sketches that I recently got framed (picked them up from the frame shop last week, but haven't had time to hang them up yet).

First one is a Hulk sketch by Simon Williams (works for Marvel UK). I had it double-matted in green and purple. This picture really doesn't do the green matting justice (I tried to get a lot of light in the room, but didn't want to use the flash on my digital camera).

1001944jc7.jpg

This is a Hulk vs. Thing sketch, also by Simon Williams. Double-matted in orange and green. I was VERY nervous about orange being the main color, but I like how it turned out. (Sorry for the angle of the pic - I was trying to get close enough to the pic so that you can see, but it cut off part of the frame. Oh well.)

1001942fs5.jpg

And finally, my first piece of "true" original art! I actually bought this for my wfe - she loves Batman, and loves the Joker, so I was able to find some original coloring book art and surprise her with it! Very affordable way to dip my toe into the pool of original art. :) Artist is Loston Wallace. Double-matted in reflective silver (not sure if you can tell from the picture) and black. I'm VERY happy w/ how it turned out, and my wife was VERY surprised and very happy.

1001941ql0.jpg

Here's a close-up of the art itself.

1001948gn3.jpg

(Thank goodness for coupons for framing at Michael's! That week, they had a "Bring 3 pieces, get 60% off!" special. Woo hoo!)

(worship)

Here's a wall. Technically the Zombie painting isn't "under glass", but we'll count him anyway.

The Fegredo Shade covers on either side are framed as pseudo-opposites as it suited the pieces well.

office.jpg

This time a Tim Sale wall. This has since been rearranged and the Dark Victory cover has been moved elsewhere, with another snow falling Joker page from the Long Halloween taking it's place.

SaleWall.jpg

The pieces themselves can be seen here.

-e.

I really like those frames that the Tim Sale pieces are in. They look really simplistic in the photo and they are VERY clean looking, but the profile of the frame and the addition of the V groove in the top mat really gives it an extra sense of sophistication comic art usually doesn't get.

Generally if it's something I've had framed, I've gone with a black frame, and most of the stuff under glass gets a white top mat, either a white, black or a soft color for the bottom mat where appropriate, and the occasional extra detail, like a fillet or something if it seems appropriate to the piece.

VampFamily.jpg

Here's a photo of one of our Jill Thompson watercolors from my CAF gallery. You can't see the outer frame or the wall, but you can see we went with a black top mat (on all of these) and a colored bottom mat, but with a black wood fillet that matched to the outer frame. Then finally a third color mat and then artwork. Even though all that detail is there, it in no way distracts from the artwork. In fact you almost don't notice it's there when you walk up to the art on this wall, but it seems so appropriate and really disappears unless you are looking for it.

I just explained this to someone in an email, but to paraphrase and get on my framing soapbox...

My wife and I do all our framing ourselves. Or rather, we pick it out together. Usually with a very firm idea of what we're trying to do before we even get to the frame shop.

By "doing it ourselves" I mean, we order the mats, we cut the glass and we get the wood frames assembled to size, but Sarah puts it all together. She ran a frame shop for 7 years and was a CPF (Certified Picture Framer) with archival training for even longer. I've not trusted anyone else with my originals in forever. After seeing what happens in even the best frame shops over 7 years, I can say I'd never trust a good frame shop, and even with all the good employees Sarah had working for her, she doesn't trust anyone with our originals either.

Of course Sarah's an odd duck amongst comic art wives, as she's the one with the degree in Sequential Art from SCAD. Our art is up all over the house.

Michael's? Yikes! I believe more than one of her old former employees ended up not just working at, but running Michael's framing departments in the area. Oh and as far as ANY frame shop having some form of liability "insurance" be sure you have some form of physical proof of value (an appraisal, you insurance paperwork, etc.) before you let that art out of your hands. Also ask if you can get a copy of the insurance agreement and make sure they are aware of the value of the piece. If you think getting reimbursed for art damaged in shipping is tough... try an insurance company for a frame shop.

I suppose it's a bit like being in the restaurant business and seeing what happens behind the scenes. ;)

Anyhow, because she ran the shop so long, when we want something framed, we get to walk in the door of one of the two locations that she ran and they more or less just let us do our thing. We bring in the art, pick the materials, do the necessary measurements, order the frames and mats (she even writes our orders up on their computer) we pay for it, with our discount. When the material comes in we pick it up, Sarah cuts the glass, gets the mats ready. Fits the art and assembly.

It was fantastic when we needed stuff framed back when she worked there because we only were paying the cost of the materials. That massive Andy Lee sumi painting in our gallery ran us about $250 or so in just materials when she framed it. Oversize mats, expensive frame and whatnot. If we'd been a walk-in customer, that same piece would have been closer to $750 with full price of materials and added labor, shipping, etc. I miss those days, but not her old paychecks. :/

My advice is if you are planning on framing a lot, buy your own quality mat cutter. The $250-300 investment will be well worth it. You can pick up acid free rag mat board for about $10 a sheet and you'll be able to get 2 or 3 mats out of a single sheet depending on the piece size. Measure times, cut once. Cut a few pieces worth of mats and that mat cutter will pay for itself. Buy cheap, discount or damaged mats or matboards to practice your cuts on. It won't take long and you can save yourself a small fortune over time. Again, only if you frame a lot.

If you don't, just be an educated consumer...

Make sure you are dealing with archival materials.

Make sure your framer is not dry mounting ANYTHING.

Make sure they are insured, how, and that they are aware of the value of a piece before they agree to take it in to frame.

Shop around.

Lowest price isn't always the "best deal" and a lot of peace of mind and confidence in a good framer can be well worth a few extra bucks out of pocket.

If it sounds too good to be true, a corner is being cut somewhere.

Don't be afraid to ask if they are running any specials or willing to give discounts. Many stores often will give good customers a regular 25% off without needing coupons. They value good customers' business and, especially in this economy, they'll be looking to hang onto as many as they can.

Be smart and you'll be happy.

I digress worse than Peter David...

-e.