• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art behind glass: Show off your framed art!
11 11

2,015 posts in this topic

Australian artist Jeremy Geddes. It's the cover to IDW's Zombie #3.

He's got a site up if you want to see more of his stuff. He's an astoundingly gifted painter.

-e.

Thanks for the info Eric (thumbs u

Avengers 3 page by Jack Kirby. Here's the plain white matte mentioned above. I think I like the white because it doesn't compete with the art for attention.

DSC02618.jpg

Hey Rhino, I know it's a few pages back, but I LOVE this page. Kudos to you for landing it. I agree that the white matting was a smart move, and it doesn't compete w/ the art.

Can I ask how long you've had it and how much it was (just curious how much Kirby pages are, you don't have to answer if you don't want to - I'm just very impressed!)?

Thanks tilleycs! Actually just this weekend we moved back into our house after being out since May 10 due to a house fire. I got all my art back from the framer (had to have a lot of it reframed due to smoke, water, and soot damage to the frames -- but all my art was OK).

I'll take some updated pics and post some things in the next week or so.

Regarding the Avengers 3 page -- I picked it up in 2002 I believe, or somewhere around that time. I did not pay a lot for it -- nice Kirby pages were not selling for much (ie a few grand each) because a large collection had flooded the marked a few years before that and prices were still depressed, but they were starting to rebound and I wanted to get some stuff before prices went up much more. It was on a consignment site and I had considered pulling the trigger a few times and finally just went for it. I've never regretted it either. :grin: Today that page would probably pull $15k or thereabouts. But it ain't for sale, so it doesn't really matter.

Rhino - Thanks for the info regarding the page, I'm always interested to hear the stories behind people's purchases. Looking forward to the new pictures at your new place, I hope you guys get settled in and can put the bad experience behind you.

Here's a couple more I thought I'd share. Last year when we visited Papua New Guinea, my wife and I picked up some killer tribal masks including an absolutely HUGE one. My wife noticed the headdress of the Witch Doctor in my JIM 125 splash and suggested we put the two next to eachother. Below is a shot of them. You can see how enormous the mask is because that JIM splash page is a twice-up large art splash!!!

There has also been a lot of discussion of stat art and stats used in covers, especially since Romitaman sold that TOS cover that was a shrunken stat of a larger page. I happen to like stat covers and have a few, which I've posted before, but below is an example of the Marvel's Greatest Comics cover that features a stat image of the classic FF 55 cover. When framed and on the wall, I gotta tell you it looks mighty sweet. And since I could never afford the actual cover to FF 55 nor would I ever be able to pry it out of the owner's hands, this is as close as I'm gonna get!

Enjoy!

--Steve

JIM125wMask.jpg

MCGandStatues.jpg

There has also been a lot of discussion of stat art and stats used in covers, especially since Romitaman sold that TOS cover that was a shrunken stat of a larger page. I happen to like stat covers and have a few, which I've posted before, but below is an example of the Marvel's Greatest Comics cover that features a stat image of the classic FF 55 cover. When framed and on the wall, I gotta tell you it looks mighty sweet. And since I could never afford the actual cover to FF 55 nor would I ever be able to pry it out of the owner's hands, this is as close as I'm gonna get!

MCGandStatues.jpg

Nothing wrong with stat covers. For display purposes, they look fine.

But would you want to pay $7,000 for one (i.e. the TOS cover)?

Would you have paid that for your MARVEL GREATEST COMICS stat cover?

MCGandStatues.jpg

I don't really know if I'd pay $7000 for one. I certainly didn't pay that for mine. But if someone did, I wouldn't begrudge them that, especially if they loved the image and wanted to own a cover at a fraction of the price of a true OA cover.

I wasn't really thinking about pricing when I made the post, just making the point that a lot of people pooh-pooh stat covers, which IMHO is unfortunate -- they can made a lovely addition to your collection! (thumbs u

MCGandStatues.jpg

I don't really know if I'd pay $7000 for one. I certainly didn't pay that for mine. But if someone did, I wouldn't begrudge them that, especially if they loved the image and wanted to own a cover at a fraction of the price of a true OA cover.

I wasn't really thinking about pricing when I made the post, just making the point that a lot of people pooh-pooh stat covers, which IMHO is unfortunate -- they can made a lovely addition to your collection! (thumbs u

One of the allures of OA, for me, is the fact that one day out of the distant or recent past an artist sat in front of a blank illustration board and (with skill and imagination) transformed that area of nothingness into a work of art . . . be it a painting, illustration, comic book cover or continuity-strip.

Owning that original is, for me, a kind of snapshot of that artist's career . . . a piece of his life, if you like.

Looking at the artwork, I study the tell-tale signs of how the artist worked (traces of pencil lines . . . nuances of the inking, etc.). It gives me a warm feeling inside, knowing that the artwork I'm looking at was the fruit of the artist's creativity.

That's why I'm prepared to indulge in this expensive hobby.

On the other hand . . .

A stat is not OA.

The uniformity of the printed blacks (which nearly always fail to capture the delicate line-work of the original) is not as good a representation of the original as you'd perhaps like to believe.

If a stat gives someone pleasure . . . I'm very happy for them. I certainly wouldn't pooh-pooh the idea of collecting such things.

And if someone wants to pay $7,000 for a statted cover . . . there's nothing for me to begrudge.

My disdain (referring back to the TOS cover stat thread) was for the $7,000 asking price - which was (and is) outrageous.