• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art behind glass: Show off your framed art!
11 11

2,015 posts in this topic

I already posted most of these in the "This week in your original art collection" topic, but now they are framed so I thought I would add them here.  Unfortunately I have to take the Action Comic one back sometime next week as they forgot to double mat all three pieces in it, but no big deal.  I will have two more next month, then let the funds recharge for a while.

20170321_134513.jpg

20170321_134503.jpg

20170321_134448 (2).jpg

So I have a cool samurai fighting page from Shadowhawks of Legend and I came across the page that came before it, which is the beginning of the fight. Kinda nice to have 2 pages back to back purchased a year apart from each other. I really like the bottom panel!

IMG_0687.JPG

IMG_0689.JPG

Most of my Herriman wall.  There's one more drawing under the Sunday page to the right.  Just realized that this is a slightly older pic, as the Sunday on the right is now in a frame that matches the one on the left.

Herriman-wall-1.thumb.jpg.bb13ad97211a0dadb6d8e63855840e60.jpg

Edited by Rob Stolzer

21 hours ago, Rob Stolzer said:

Most of my Herriman wall.  There's one more drawing under the Sunday page to the right.  Just realized that this is a slightly older pic, as the Sunday on the right is now in a frame that matches the one on the left.

Herriman-wall-1.thumb.jpg.bb13ad97211a0dadb6d8e63855840e60.jpg

:whatthe:(worship)

When I first started collecting I had an OA page framed along with the corresponding page from the comic.  It looked cool, but I quickly realized that it took up way too much of my limited wall space.  It's been sitting in the closet for a while, so I decided to take it to the framer and see if I could salvage the frame and museum glass to frame a smaller piece, this David Mack cover to Valiant's 4001 A.D. War Mother #1.  Just got it back, and they were indeed able to use them both, so it ended up costing me very little.  Came out looking pretty nice too.

WarMotherFramed_zps6kakosmr.jpg

Mike

3 hours ago, MGS said:

WarMotherFramed_zps6kakosmr.jpg

Mike

Outstanding piece! Framing looks great.  I agree about not framing the comic side by side the art. While it can look great, if you got limited space - I would rather display more OA.

Edited by Panelfan1

I have several frames made by "Frame it Again Sam" who used to make these quick change frames, but has apparently retired. The tops pop off and the art is behind plexi, but inside the frame there is a pocket with a mylite and an acid free backing board. Perfect for modern size pieces and allows me to swap things out regularly. I have this four frame set up in my office and change it out every couple of months so I can look at different things. Currently up are a Risso Batman/Joker  commission, a Question cover by Cowan/Sienkewicz, a Sandman commission by P. Craig Russell and a Silver Surfer cover recreation by Buscema of a cover  that I used to own the original of. These have been up for a few weeks so I will probably swap them out around the beginning of May.

IMG_0679.JPG

9 hours ago, furthur said:

I have several frames made by "Frame it Again Sam" who used to make these quick change frames, but has apparently retired. The tops pop off and the art is behind plexi, but inside the frame there is a pocket with a mylite and an acid free backing board. Perfect for modern size pieces and allows me to swap things out regularly. I have this four frame set up in my office and change it out every couple of months so I can look at different things. Currently up are a Risso Batman/Joker  commission, a Question cover by Cowan/Sienkewicz, a Sandman commission by P. Craig Russell and a Silver Surfer cover recreation by Buscema of a cover  that I used to own the original of. These have been up for a few weeks so I will probably swap them out around the beginning of May.

IMG_0679.JPG

They look great! I really think this look is the way to go. I am not an artist and I shouldn't be designing something (the frame/mat) to add to the piece but rather something to honor the piece and show it off. The colorful frames and mats pull the eye from the art and compete with the image. I also do a larger margin at the bottom to force the eye downward.

10 hours ago, furthur said:

IMG_0679.JPG

Very cool display.  Feel free to show a close up of the Batman/Joker commission.  Would love to check out the detail.

Wanted to share my first framed artwork. Usually all the art I collect is in binders and I rarely see it so I wanted to give framing a try. The page is from Adventures of Superman 457 by Jurgens and Templeton. I chose this one for a first try because I thought Templeton's inks would display well. I'm really happy with the result and will definitely free more of the artwork from their binders :-).  

IMG_7196.JPG

IMG_7197.JPG

On 4/21/2017 at 6:06 AM, furthur said:

IMG_0679.JPG

That is such a great idea.  It's too bad the guy seems to have retired, I would have had some frames made up like that years ago when I was displaying art more.  Now, thanks to the magic of technology, I am probably just going to make high quality scans on heavy bond paper that is similar, but not as thick as standard comic art stock and frame with cheap frames.  I'm also in the process of replacing framed art with scanned repos as well.   

You used to own that SS cover?  Damn...

Edited by Flambit

I know some folks make copies and frame them-I know of at least one artist who gets giglee's made of art he has collected and keeps the originals in a safety deposit at a bank. I just cant get my arms around that as a collector. The whole point to me is that the work I am looking at is the original. I don't think I could go with copies.