• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art behind glass: Show off your framed art!
11 11

2,015 posts in this topic

I'm  not sold on the comic room approach with the swinging panels. Its a little to close to being like a comic shop with posters etc that are set up for review and sale. I am all about swapping out art all the time and showing off different stuff, but I like the aesthetic of my comic art being clearly "Art" with a capital A and this kind of display just doesn't say that to me, even if it allows more art to be shown in a small space.

On 4/27/2017 at 6:36 PM, furthur said:

I'm  not sold on the comic room approach with the swinging panels. Its a little to close to being like a comic shop with posters etc that are set up for review and sale. I am all about swapping out art all the time and showing off different stuff, but I like the aesthetic of my comic art being clearly "Art" with a capital A and this kind of display just doesn't say that to me, even if it allows more art to be shown in a small space.

To each their own. But this beats an Itoya for display purposes. I understand what you're saying about possibly looking like a poster display, but I think you can eliminate that if you have it displayed elegantly, like Panelfan1 has.

On 04/27/2017 at 8:53 AM, Panelfan1 said:

Not sure how many of you check out other non-art threads on cgccomics - but came across this today.  Thought it was worth posting. Its in the 'got a comic room' thread

20170423_165836.thumb.jpg.7a92e42dbc29e6e1171619bf7573ab56.jpg

20170423_165824.thumb.jpg.a9dedefc2b8b86cce0684e0f4f9d60ba.jpg

That's my setup. I also have framed art on other walls. I dont own a ton of art. This display replaced my itoya.

On 4/30/2017 at 9:14 AM, vscipior said:

That's my setup. I also have framed art on other walls. I dont own a ton of art. This display replaced my itoya.

I love it and think it's a terrific idea. Terrific use of space. The display makes it much more likely that you (or your guests) will thumb through and enjoy your collection regularly, whereas an iToya may rarely get pulled off of the shelf. Perfect compromise if you don't have a lot of wall space. I may do this myself one day!

1 hour ago, Lobstrosity said:

I recently had 10 of my animation cels framed up to hang over my twin sons' cribs. I tried to pick ones that were bright and colorful and not too scary, and I'm really happy with the way it turned out!

For those curious, they are:
(Top row left to right) Star Wars: Ewoks, 'It Was a Short Summer Charlie, Brown," Star Trek, Sesame Street "Agua," Ducktales
(Bottom row) Garfield and Friends, Pink Panther "In the Pink," The Muppet Babies, Care Bears, The Smurfs

2017_02_19 animation artwork hung  in nursery.jpg

Such a fun idea, and nicely done. Wish I'd been as clever when my kids were little.

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 1:46 PM, Lobstrosity said:

I recently had 10 of my animation cels framed up to hang over my twin sons' cribs. I tried to pick ones that were bright and colorful and not too scary, and I'm really happy with the way it turned out!

For those curious, they are:
(Top row left to right) Star Wars: Ewoks, 'It Was a Short Summer Charlie, Brown," Star Trek, Sesame Street "Agua," Ducktales
(Bottom row) Garfield and Friends, Pink Panther "In the Pink," The Muppet Babies, Care Bears, The Smurfs

2017_02_19 animation artwork hung  in nursery.jpg

Bravo! That's terrific!

I don't have too many pieces framed and even less of those framed pieces are on a wall.   Here's one of the few that the wife would allow on the walls of the house.   (Can't remember if I've posted before or not).  It was already matted/framed when I acquired it.   I thought the matting worked pretty well actually. 

Francine1.jpg

On 5/10/2017 at 1:14 PM, chrisco37 said:

I don't have too many pieces framed and even less of those framed pieces are on a wall.   Here's one of the few that the wife would allow on the walls of the house.   (Can't remember if I've posted before or not).  It was already matted/framed when I acquired it.   I thought the matting worked pretty well actually. 

Francine1.jpg

My above post was in reference to this...... 

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:51 PM, Jesse_M said:

Nice Chris! I remember holding that piece....

Do you remember this one?

Yep.  I've got a pic of it somewhere on my computer. 

You also have the Grell Poison Ivy, right?