• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art behind glass: Show off your framed art!
11 11

2,015 posts in this topic

On 5/27/2017 at 11:21 AM, MrReedRothchild said:

Just got my Astro City covers in from framing and completed my wall...for now.

adL2Vbpl.jpg

FiZkg5yl.jpg

rExKVgjl.jpg

These are stunning. I saw #3 in person at NYCC and it is especially vibrant. Congrats!

On 5/27/2017 at 9:14 AM, Sideshow Bob said:

TMNT cover by Zach Howard. Detail on this is stunning...

fullsizeoutput_4bbf.jpeg

Looks terrific, but need to see the frame more.  This is the section for framed art after all. If you got time, lets see a wider shot.

I kinda dig that you've got the prelim on the back.
I used to put a copy of the comic book on a heavy sleeve on the back of my pages way back when. Just in case anyone was interested. Handy. Totally forgot about that until seeing this. :)

Edited by ESeffinga

1 hour ago, ESeffinga said:

I kinda dig that you've got the prelim on the back.
I used to put a copy of the comic book on a heavy sleeve on the back of my pages way back when. Just in case anyone was interested. Handy. Totally forgot about that until seeing this. :)

Zach did a very detailed pencil first, and then scanned it and blew it up on blue line to be inked. I still haven't worked out what is the "final" piece and what is the prelim; some people would absolutely prefer the pencils (even with Zach's large coffee stain spreading across the middle of the paper) over the inked blueline. In this case, the pencils are so tight, so the goal here was to keep both available so I can just take it off the wall and show people the process work without having an enormous frame with two pieces on the wall. But definitely they needed to stay together in some way. 

The framer and I opted to float the inked piece, mostly because the inking went all the way to the edge and we both liked to show a little bit of the "sloppy" that makes it the original. 

After a long while researching, note-taking, and feverish twiddling my my thumbs, I finally decided to make a purchase.  Starting slow at first with this piece as I wanted to get some OA in hand and feel it out.  I found it on Black Line Fever's site and aside from the "we only take checks" thing the process was pretty flawless.  I'm a big Starlin fan, so am happy that my first piece is by him even if I've never read this particular series.  I also like that it features Darkseid who was an inspiration for Thanos, so it comes around full circle in a way.  Decided to have it framed as it's art and should be looked at in my opinion.  I will likely frame most of the pieces I acquire, but you never know.  The frame is from Michael's and I'm actually really surprised by the quality...all archival materials and they tell me that the glass has some kind of acrylic infused or laid over top to prevent damaging the artwork should it fall off the wall.  Pretty neat.  

New Gods OA.jpg

New Gods OA #2.jpg

New Gods OA #4.jpg

1 hour ago, Andahaion said:

After a long while researching, note-taking, and feverish twiddling my my thumbs, I finally decided to make a purchase.  Starting slow at first with this piece as I wanted to get some OA in hand and feel it out.  I found it on Black Line Fever's site and aside from the "we only take checks" thing the process was pretty flawless.  I'm a big Starlin fan, so am happy that my first piece is by him even if I've never read this particular series.  I also like that it features Darkseid who was an inspiration for Thanos, so it comes around full circle in a way.  Decided to have it framed as it's art and should be looked at in my opinion.  I will likely frame most of the pieces I acquire, but you never know.  The frame is from Michael's and I'm actually really surprised by the quality...all archival materials and they tell me that the glass has some kind of acrylic infused or laid over top to prevent damaging the artwork should it fall off the wall.  Pretty neat.  

New Gods OA.jpg

New Gods OA #2.jpg

New Gods OA #4.jpg

Nice page and it looks beautiful framed. Congratulations on your first piece of art!

5 hours ago, Andahaion said:

New Gods OA.jpg

New Gods OA #2.jpg

New Gods OA #4.jpg

Was the frame off the shelf - or was it custom? I know they have both.