• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art behind glass: Show off your framed art!
11 11

2,015 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, MagnusX said:

Hello:

I have a page I would like to frame
museum quality and all the goods
11 x 17

Could anyone give me  an estimation how much I am looking to pay?

Thank you...

:$

low end, 150 with museum glass, simple black frame and 1-2 mats. high end 300 with museum acrylic, premium frame, 2-3 mats. My marker is a series of animation cels I have had framed ALL exactly the same with the exact same materials because I want them to all look identical on the wall. These are 10X13. Despite the varying coupons and deals Michaels offers they always come in around 100 (and never the exact same price for some reason).

edit: I should add you can spend way more than 300 if you go all "Louvre" on the frame, but at that size piece the art wouldn't handle the frame size.

Edited by cstojano

I'm new to the comic book scene but in May I attended MegaCon Orlando since I was in the area for a work conference (all the way from New Zealand). I couldn't down the opportunity to get to see Stan Lee, I obtained a comic from NZ to get signed. Finally got it all framed up and ready to display, quite happy with how it turned out.

22500817_10155943278194203_1493509559_n.jpg

Back from the framers today . . . Tom Chantrell's movie poster campaign painting for the unflimed Hammer project, A SCENT OF NEW-MOWN HAY (circa 1969).

Excuse the odd angle, trying to eliminate camera glare by taking a side shot.

Large scan and write-up on my CAF at:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1429066

Scent framed.jpg

12 hours ago, The Voord said:

Back from the framers today . . . Tom Chantrell's movie poster campaign painting for the unflimed Hammer project, A SCENT OF NEW-MOWN HAY (circa 1969).

Excuse the odd angle, trying to eliminate camera glare by taking a side shot.

Large scan and write-up on my CAF at:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1429066

Scent framed.jpg

Featured on CAF as well - nicely done.

16 hours ago, GreatEscape said:

Great framing choice...love the curved edge matting which gives Indy a 3-D pop-out feel and provides a balancing right-side focal point along with the sun on the left side.   Well-done!

I  agree. I Think this was a pretty cool solution to the problem.  May have to use this trick on some art someday.

6 hours ago, The Voord said:

I was in Liverpool (UK) earlier today to attend an exhibition showcasing the artwork of John Higgins (colourist of Watchmen and an accomplished all-round artist in his own right).  John was there signing copies of his new book and took time to chat with myself and a mutual friend, Bill Naylor.  I'd met John several times before (like me, he was born in Liverpool).  I reminded him that I owned his original 1986 promotional painting heralding the Action Hero Line of old Charlton characters being resurrected under the DC banner.  Artwork size is a large 29" x 20.5".  John asked me to photograph the painting for him so he could put it on his FB page.  As it's a framed original, I might as well post it on this thread . . .

Higgins 1.JPG

Super cool! Love it. The frame looks great too.

Sorry I didn't search all 79 pages, mostly because of all of the broken photobucket links, but has anyone ever seen internal pages framed where the mat is cut to go between all the actual panels? I was thinking this might work to clean up some pages that are pretty rough while focusing on the panel art itself and not the blue line guides and other production markings. The hobby seems to greatly prefer showing the fact that these are original  pages, with all the warts. This would only work on pages with the word bubbles contained within the panels and likely look best if the panels were all the same size.

Edited by cstojano

23 minutes ago, cstojano said:

Sorry I didn't search all 79 pages, mostly because of all of the broken photobucket links, but has anyone ever seen internal pages framed where the mat is cut to go between all the actual panels? I was thinking this might work to clean up some pages that are pretty rough while focusing on the panel art itself and not the blue line guides and other production markings. The hobby seems to greatly prefer showing the fact that these are original  pages, with all the warts. This would only work on pages with the word bubbles contained within the panels and likely look best if the panels were all the same size.

I'm not aware of anybody doing this before, but I'm sure it's been done. Probably by somebody that collects that also owns/works for a frame shop or otherwise has an 'in' to reduce the cost of all those 'cuts'. Anyway, I'd really recommend against this. You will end up with, and (you or your heirs will) eventually recycle back into the hobby, one very strangely aged panel page. Just think on that for a bit first...