• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective 27

33 posts in this topic

Comilink were selling were selling Action Comics #1 one page at a time all CGC graded, didn't they?

You're lucky Bug isn't here to dress you down. The pages are encapsulated and certified, not graded. insane.gif

Dear lord that's moronic. It's not even a Batman page. He states in his description that complete coverless copies go for 7k. Why would anyone pay 3k for the centerfold? 893frustrated.gif

Dear lord that's moronic. It's not even a Batman page. He states in his description that complete coverless copies go for 7k. Why would anyone pay 3k for the centerfold? 893frustrated.gif

Because they have a copy that is complete except that it is missing the centerfold.

Whether it "adds" $3K to the value, is another question. I think it would.

Or maybe you would be better off buying a complete coverless copy for $7K, removing the centerfold, and trying to "salvage" the coverless/incomplete remainders for $4K. That might work.

Sometimes the bigger factor is how well the parts "match" (page quality, cut, staple holes) the rest of the book that you have.

There are a lot of Golden Age books out there that are missing either a cover or missing the centerfold. It's a matter of finding and marrying the two. There is a rather healthy market out there for Golden Age parts. Sure the resulting book would get a CGC qualifed or restored label, but I doubt if the people looking for these kind of books are the type of collectors that are into slabbed books.

The reason this is CGC slabbed is to certify the authenticity of the pages.

Just this month, I bought a coverless & missing first wrap Superman #20, to "complete" a copy of the book I've had for years that was missing the centerfold.

ECFANMAN

What % of the Ostreet good price do u think is reasonable to pay for a coverless GA comic complete w/ 1st wrap & centerfold? Say, a non-key issue like Action #25 with off-wht pgs? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

With Off-white pages? I'd go as high as $14. Oh, wait - a NON-key, you say? stooges.gif

I'm not a high grade fanatic, though I strive for the highest grade I can afford. But even on a book like Tec 27, I'm kind of retentive about the damned thing being *intact*, so coverless books are nigh unto worthless to me. (I do appreciate the fact that they're more valuable to others, however. If I had just the cover to Action #25 I might go 20% of the GC price for the innards as you describe them.)

If you have a TEC 27 missing a centerfold and you toss it in and the book grades a good, what's it worth???

If it's a VG, with a loose centerfold, what's it worth??

$3000.00 is nothing to complete that book.

If I had a copy missing the centerfold I would have bought it right away.

Well, how could you prove it was a tec 27 staple as opposed to tec 26 or 28? A centerfold at least you can verify. I agree with the general point I assume you are making, though - that it's madness to pay that for a single page. If I had a tec 27 missing a centerfold, I wouldn't bother completing the book. Who cares - as long the batman story was complete and it had a front and back cover I'd be happy and would not look for extra parts. sumo.gif

If you have a TEC 27 missing a centerfold and you toss it in and the book grades a good, what's it worth???

The book wont grade a good. It'll be qualified since its obviously married. I seriously doubt there is any case where that centerfold will add $3k to the value of a tec 27

Just for general interest.

Here is a seller that has a Batman #1 with no centerfold. I find the sellers listing very interesting since they are actually accomplishing several things with it. First, they are testing the market to see if there are buyers for this calibre of a book that is missing a centerfold. Second, according to the listing they are actively seeking a centerfold for the book, which they believe will increase the value of the book.

Batman 1 (missing the centerfold)

What % of the Ostreet good price do u think is reasonable to pay for a coverless GA comic complete w/ 1st wrap & centerfold? Say, a non-key issue like Action #25 with off-wht pgs? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I would say anywhere from 2-5%. I had a fellow collector flip a coverless copy of ASM #5 last year for me that fetched over $50.