• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why are there so few World's Finest collectors?
2 2

186 posts in this topic

I've compared the NM- Overstreet price for the last ten cent issue of the five mags below:

Batman #143 - $275

Detective - #297 - $200

Superman #149 - $265

Action #282 - $200

World's Finest #121 - $190

The World's Finest is about 30% less expensive than the Batman or Superman mags despite the fact that it contains both characters and should therefore appeal to both Batman and Superman collectors and fetch higher prices than the Batman and Superman comics. Yet it clearly does not.

Why then do many/most Batman and Superman collectors shun World's Finest? Is it because Batman collectors basically try to finish off their Batman & Detective runs first before tackling World's Finest but they never finish the daunting task? And similarly Superman collectors never finish their Superman & Action runs?

Or is it some other factor that's specific to the World's Finest title?

hm

Edited by Hepcat

After you collect the SA Superman family of comics, there is not much $$ left for World's Finest:

1. Action

2. Superman

3. Adventure/Legion, Superboy

4. Superboy

5. Lois Lane

6. Jimmy Olsen

7. Detective

8. Batman

9. Flash

10. SA Green Lantern

But it is also a good reason to collect worlds finest because with 30 % lower prices you can by way more of them ,but how often you find some in highgrade . lets say from nr. 50 to 100. mmhhh.... not often.

took me quite some time to find a nice nr. 72 and 73 .Also cgc has never graded some in this time frame.

I think part of it was the idea that both Batman and Superman were "on loan" to whoever was assigned to put together WF. So all the big developments (key issues) were reserved for their home books, not WF.

O.K., here's a Marvel guy stepping on some DC toes, but this is a serious question -- was there really a 'big event' continunity to reserve for the big books?

Are you kidding? There were always new super pets to introduce. lol

(He says that affectionately...)

O.K., here's a Marvel guy stepping on some DC toes, but this is a serious question -- was there really a 'big event' continunity to reserve for the big books?

Each shade of kryptonite!

Why then do many/most Batman and Superman collectors shun World's Finest? other factor that's specific to the World's Finest title?

hm

Once you get the those early issues, collectors can't bear the thought of getting those issues with the incredibly campy covers (shrug)

I just meant relative to the main Superman/Batman books. Things like the 1st Supergirl, 1st Brainiac, early Legion appearances were outside WF.

I'm not a fan of the pre-New Look 1960s Batman, so I can't help you there, but some people do chase certain of those books.

I just think the compromises inherent in shoehorning the two characters into the same stories make WF not quite as ( relatively ) desirable as the parent titles.

I'm not a fan of the pre-New Look 1960s Batman, so I can't help you there, but some people do chase certain of those books.

I am. I thought the New Look Julius Schwartz Batman lost the charm he got from his far out adventures and added nothing, until Neal Adams gave him a measure of edginess in the late sixties.

Part of the reason is that I was no fan of the way Carmine Infantino drew Batman. I loved his work on Flash and Adam Strange but his Batman looked somehow wimpy.

rantrant

Edited by Hepcat

I love World's Finest! As primarily a Superman collector, I consider it a must have title. Some very cool covers and fun stories...here are some of the ones I have scanned. I am missing about 9 issues to have 90-225 complete.

th_wf57.jpgth_wf65.jpgth_wf85.jpgth_wf86.jpgth_wf90.jpg

th_wf91.jpgth_wf93.jpgth_wf94.jpgth_wf97.jpgth_wf99.jpg

th_wf100.jpgth_wf101.jpgth_wf102.jpgth_wf104.jpgth_wf105.jpg

th_wf107.jpgth_wf109.jpgth_wf110.jpgth_wf111.jpgth_wf112.jpg

th_wf113.jpgth_wf114.jpgth_wf115.jpgth_wf116.jpgth_wf117.jpg

th_wf118.jpgth_wf119.jpgth_wf120.jpgth_wf121.jpgth_wf122.jpg

th_wf123.jpgth_wf124.jpgth_wf125.jpgth_wf126.jpgth_wf130.jpg

th_wf138.jpgth_wf139.jpgth_wf142.jpgth_wf150.jpg

As has been said, it is a book that is almost completely without keys or any significant hero-changing events. Thus, kind of boring to collect.

Having said that, I snatch up HG copies for a nice price when I can.

But to a hard core collector "keys" are just a nuisance. He wants all the issues to complete his collection and the keys just make it more difficult to achieve his objective since they're more expensive.

:(

After you collect the SA Superman family of comics, there is not much $$ left for World's Finest:

1. Action

2. Superman

4. Superboy

5. Lois Lane

6. Jimmy Olsen

7. Detective

8. Batman

9. Flash

10. SA Green Lantern

Is that your DC comic collecting order of priority?

Being a born-again Curt Swan fan....I love 'em for their beautifully rendered sense of the mundane.

Given the Curt Swan artwork, perhaps it's not surprising that World's Finests in the late fifties and early sixties looked more like the Superman rather than the Batman titles. But the editor was Jack Schiff of the Batman titles so they read more like the Batman titles.

hm

Edited by Hepcat

1. Action

2. Superman

4. Superboy

5. Lois Lane

6. Jimmy Olsen

7. Detective

8. Batman

9. Flash

10. SA Green Lantern

Is that your DC comic collecting order of priority?

Yes, that was my DC priority list from 16 years ago. Now I primarily collect GA DC 1937 to 1940 only. Need some thrashed copies of pre-hero Detectives and Action #1 still. :luhv: