• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How accurate is Showcase NE grading ?

51 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I?ve pruchasing a certain number of comics from Showcase NE on ebay, and I was just wondering how accurate you think their grading is.

This issue is all the more critical regarding their auctions as these often consist in lots, which are described as ?Average VG/FN?, for example.

Of course, I?ve got my opinion, but just let me know what you guys think.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Not good! I can think some books that claimed to be NM and turned out to be VF+.

Expect them to be anywhere from 2 to 5 grades off on the high end. But they are better as the grade goes down.

I find that there 8.5/9.0 is very accurate or better. I don't know how they grade VG/FN's? I've always been satisfied with all my purchases with Showcase New England and sometimes get some bonus books. I would say that there much more accurate with there grading over the average seller on ebay. I must admit, some times the grades are lower then stated, but they always manage to have a few that grade higher. So I guess it evens it out in the long run.

Bought some raw bronze Sub-Mariners and Warlocks off them a couple years ago. SNE had them graded at 9.6. Upon arrival it was more like 9.2 on the average. I've shied away from their raw stuff since. To be safe I would deduct at least half a grade from what they're advertising and if it's still in your comfort zone then go for it.

smile.gif

I bought 3 books from them that they gradded as 9.2's.........two came back 8.0 and one at 8.5.

J.D.

Question: What did the third one grade at and did you notice they were overgraded before you sent them???...

Do not trust their grading at 9.0 or higher, especially in those large lots. The books will be off by up to a grade, though there may be a few single copies that match up. Anything remotely Key will be at the bottom end of the scale or lower, as otherwise these would be CGC'd instead of listed in a lot.

In the 8.X range, they are far more accurate, and it's worth a shot if that condition fits your needs.

I bought 3 books from them that they gradded as 9.2's.........two came back 8.0 and one at 8.5.

J.D.

Question: What did the third one grade at and did you notice they were overgraded before you sent them???...

They all looked about 8.0/8.5....CGC graded them fair,....Oh GOD!!...did I just say that??...two came back 8.0 and one at 8.5.... here's an attachment of one of them

282695-ww126.jpg.c9350847049abfd8e148ef071034a093.jpg

J.D.

2 8.0s & 1 8.5 foreheadslap.gif

J.D.

2 8.0s & 1 8.5 foreheadslap.gif

But what did the 4th one grade at?

Paid $100.00 each for them...this one is high grade in census at 8.5 for WW #126......the other two were WW #125 and I think WW#130....I sold them both for about $160.00 each, I think,...book value for them are about $80-$90 I think....but you can't go by that...these issues are tough to find in high grade....

J.D.

I've never bought any HG books from them, but I did pick up a 6 book lot of G-VG FF's about a year ago and they were right on the money. That's the only first hand experience I've had with them.