• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How accurate is Showcase NE grading ?

51 posts in this topic

::sigh::

Yeah, I know, it's tough being me.

On the good side, I just got done a major computer upgrade, and I'm in wireless, All-in-Wonder, DVD-R, dual-channel DDR heaven.

Mmm. New computer. Just tell me it isn't a Dell. I think I hate Dell more than discussions about when the Silver Age ended and when the Bronze age began.

Just tell me it isn't a Dell.

Where I work (about 6000 employees) they swicthed from Compaq to Dell a couple of years ago. Hard drives have been dyinf all over the place on the Dells. Sometimes as many as 20-25 a DAY! The Deskside Support team is going nuts.

Mmm. New computer. Just tell me it isn't a Dell. I think I hate Dell more than discussions about when the Silver Age ended and when the Bronze age began.

Hey, I said UPGRADE! Only high-end, name-brand parts for this guy. 893frustrated.gif

Just tell me it isn't a Dell.

Where I work (about 6000 employees) they swicthed from Compaq to Dell a couple of years ago. Hard drives have been dyinf all over the place on the Dells. Sometimes as many as 20-25 a DAY! The Deskside Support team is going nuts.

Ugh. Dell is the most overrated product out there... next to Marvel comics. shocked.gif

(Were you serious about 20-25 a DAY??)

I have a feeling that like many dealers who sell in lots, they only look at the front cover (usually when it's in a bag).

I bought six 9.0/9.2 books from them several months ago and maybe one is a 9.2. Most of the books have the eye appeal of 9.0 (except one that actually has a moisture stain and wrinkle), but there is a lot more surface wear than CGC would allow in a 9.0 book. Probably more like 8.0's. frown.gif

Needless to say, I now stick to their CGC books. And they ship quickly.

Bought a Journey Into Mystery (surprise!) they graded 7.0, came back from CGC a 7.0 893applaud-thumb.gif

Bought a Journey into Mystery 88 they graded 8.0, came back CGC 7.0 (too much Marvel chipping) foreheadslap.gif

Bought lots X-men 83-93 avg. 8.5 -9.0 and was happy. acclaim.gif

Bought Thor 181-195 avg 8.0 happy with everything but 193(the key issue) was VG/F 893frustrated.gif

My grade of Showcase: B

hi.gifhi.gif

I've made three purchases (via eBay) with SNE... all mid-grade stuff:

- Daredevil #s 7, 8 and 9 (SNE graded 'em "VG/FN," and I think all three were right in that vicinity, with the #7 a FN-)

- Four Color #s 300, 367, 408 and 422 (SNE graded these "VG/FN" and all were at least VG+ except the 367 which came in around G+)

- Marvel Collector's Item Classics #s 3, 4, 7, 9, 13 and 20-22, I think (SNE had these pegged at "FN-to-VF," as I recall... a couple were in the VG range, but several were in the VF range, so couldn't complain)

I've heard so many horror stories about their overgrading, and their shipping charges are so egregious for individual books, that I'd be very leery of buying high grade from them. I've also heard bad things about their customer service, but that's second-hand info...

Their grading is off a bit. Mostly .2 difference (9.2 versus a 9.4) I look elsewhere for buying my books. Great packaging though.

Is this your opinion, or based on experience of buying HG from SNE and submitting it to CGC ? Just curious...

As for the 'great shipping,' it oughta be, at $8 a pop! Sheesh!

Very insightful question. I am basing this on my own grading. I am 98% correct in regards to pregrading before I send to CGC. I don' t send SCNE in to CGC because the NMints are low grade NMs.// stooges.gif. I only send in 9.4s and above. Thanks for allowing me to clarify my grading answer.