• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice on this defect: What is it and how does it affect the grade?

8 posts in this topic

Can anyone identify what this defect is? While it looks like it should, it does not indent the cover at all.

Could this be a defect caused during the printing process?

In your opinions, how does something like this affect the grade?

282770-conan6a.jpg

282771-conan6.jpg

It's either dirt on a finger guard or debris in the oven that barely touch the paper while it runs through the press. Just enough to scratch it and take off the ink.

It causes a streak such as this one.

Yes, this is the same thing on MTU 1.

Excellent info Dice.

I kind of suspected that it had something to do with the printing process. But, seeing as the only thing I know about the printing process for comics is what has been previously posted in the forums I thought that I would ask.

thumbsup2.gif

I have X-men 108 with similar defect, although no where near as bad as that. Believe it or not, CGC gave it 9.4. I was pissed when I got it from a eBay seller because it was not disclosed in the auction nor would he take any returns.

Tom

Thanks Joe, I did not know that this was common on any books much less MTU 1. I looked at my lowly mid-grade copy and it does not have a similar marking, so this was new to me.

Here's an example of what I was referring to, although the mark can be lower, right along the border:

marvelteam-up-01.jpg

Wow, I can barely see the line on that copy. I had to download the pic and blow up the image just so I could get a good look at it. Of course that dark cover helps hide it better than the one on my book. Maybe I will go back and check my copy of MTU1 a little closer...

Thanks for sharing the scan.

thumbsup2.gif