• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cover yellowing?

21 posts in this topic

hello. i'm new to the boards and just starting to take better care of my comic collection. i noticed a curious thing about a week ago -- one of my catwoman graphic novels had turned a yellowish color. the pages are still white and the cover is still glossy. the yellowing seems to have spread evenly over both the front and back covers. i have two copies of this book, so i was able to compare the two.

hersisterskeeper.jpg

this is the original state of the book. i apologize for the small picture. i was not about to scan my good copy.

scan.jpg

a scan of the yellowed copy. the flecks and lines on the cover are due to my bad quality scanner. the book has no lines or marks of any sort.

i live in hawaii and keep my comics stored in mylar bags w/acid-free backing boards. they have been kept in a dark portion of my bedroom for the past 5-10 years. this book is only 12 years old. only this particular book has shown any damage; the other comics show no discolourations. would this yellowing affect the grade by much? does anyone know what might have caused this yellowing to occur or of any storage tips to prevent this type of damage in the future? i'd appreciate any help you could give grin.gif

It appears that the magenta has faded to almost non-existence. That is what is accounting for the look. If you notice, the book is not turning yellow so much as the reds are almost gone. Magenta (kind of a "hot pink" so to speak) combined with yellow makes red. Check the res areas and see how yellow they are now with almost no hint of "red". It also looks like the cyan (blue) may be fading as well.

Did you have this book out in the sun for any length of time or under bright lights?

Hey Dice - what do ya think?

It appears that the magenta has faded to almost non-existence. That is what is accounting for the look. If you notice, the book is not turning yellow so much as the reds are almost gone. Magenta (kind of a "hot pink" so to speak) combined with yellow makes red. Check the res areas and see how yellow they are now with almost no hint of "red". It also looks like the cyan (blue) may be fading as well.

Did you have this book out in the sun for any length of time or under bright lights?

You are correct.

Loss of Magenta.

thumbsup2.gif

You are correct.

Loss of Magenta.

thumbsup2.gif

But...what do you really know? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You are correct.

Loss of Magenta.

thumbsup2.gif

How about the cyan? Something don;t look quite right there.

You are correct.

Loss of Magenta.

thumbsup2.gif

But...what do you really know? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Greggy's favorite game...

Click

You are correct.

Loss of Magenta.

thumbsup2.gif

How about the cyan? Something don;t look quite right there.

Cyan loss too. But not as much as magenta.

It's an all over fade with magenta being the worst.

Yes - the magenta seems to be almost totally gone. The cyan not near as bad but still some loss.

Sigh.....printer geeks! mad.gif

Yes - the magenta seems to be almost totally gone. The cyan not near as bad but still some loss.

Sigh.....printer geeks! mad.gif

Oooohhhh wookums is the widdle baby all mad.gif? He's so Cute when he's mad.gif. Oh yes you ARE. YES you ARE! Ooohhhh woooootttie woooo woo.

You looking for someone else to troll til bug gets back?
frown.gif

893frustrated.gif

Ok...I guess you have stepped up to the plate! laugh.gif

ablue is probably lonely with bug being mia.

He'd appreciate a troll buddy.

devil.gif

You looking for someone else to troll til bug gets back?
frown.gif

893frustrated.gif

Ok...I guess you have stepped up to the plate! laugh.gif

ablue is probably lonely with bug being mia.

He'd appreciate a troll buddy.

devil.gif

Nah...I would rather troll you because you are here on a more regular basis! thumbsup2.gif

"Little ditty, 'bout Black and Cyan, 2 american kids done best they can!"

sorry.gif