• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How is this an 8.0??

60 posts in this topic

The key question that I can't find an answer to in the scan is whether the back spine area is creased, or whether those patterns are all soiling only. It looks creased, but it could be that the soiling patterns are giving the appearance of creases which don't actually exist.

If the back spine area is creased, then the grade makes no sense to me. If it's soiling only, then like it or not, CGC has been rather consistent with not downgrading much for cover soiling. I assume they don't downgrade much for it because it is non-permanent damage which can be dry-cleaned off with no residual trace.

The key question that I can't find an answer to in the scan is whether the back spine area is creased, or whether those patterns are all soiling only.

Regardless of what the soiled parts are, there is definite creasing on the back cover, some of which goes deep into the ad.

Regardless of what the soiled parts are, there is definite creasing on the back cover, some of which goes deep into the ad.

I agree that it gives the appearance of being creased, but how can you be sure? I've got books with soiling that have weird patterns which contain dark soiling mottled with light or nonexistant soiling, and the transitions from dark to light soiling take look like creases from a distance, but upon up-close examination, no creases actually exist. I have no idea what creates these inconsistent soiling patterns.

I do know what you mean, and have seen it as well. What I'm talking about are the obvious creases, like the dent on the bottom corner. If that's "mystery soiling" then we have a real anomaly at work.

Also, is that a rip through the coupon?

I believe the answer to the initial question is clear and obvious....

This is an incorrectly graded comic.

It is obvious to all and any explaination will fall short of changing this fact...

Yep, just checked Heritage. Same bc. foreheadslap.gif

Where did you find the one on Heritage? They usually have much larger back cover scans, but I couldn't find it in the permanent auction listings, current auction, or November auction preview by searching on the phrase "young allies 5"

Araich: It is obvious to all and any explaination will fall short of changing this fact...

Well, at least you admit to a biased way of thinking...most people just think that way and deny it.

Since I know that the usual presumptive "stop kissing CGC's arse" comments will be forthcoming, take note that I'm not objecting to the judgement on this comic in particular, or any sort of criticism of bad CGC grades...I take exception to grading comic books based upon scans, particularly ones of this smallish size. Scans hide an alarming amount of detail...the anomalies being pointed out thus far could look far different under close inspection. Heritage's usual back cover scans will show a lot more than this one will, so I hope we can find a link to it.

Well, at least you admit to a biased way of thinking...most people just think that way and deny it.

I don't think I am biased...It's just that I have enough faith in my ability to interpret a scan to say that the book is graded incorrectly...

I don't think it is grossly overgraded but I do say (with conviction) that is is overgraded... thumbsup2.gif

Think about what you said..."It is obvious to all and any explanation will fall short of changing this fact..." that means you've got all the data that is possible to collect and no further is needed, and even if you did get any new data, "any explanation will fall short of changing this fact..." You can't grade a book based upon a scan, particularly one of this size. And even if you could, NOTHING could change your mind? That's the bias I was referring to. I mean, we could be right, the book could be overgraded, but I would argue strongly you don't have the evidence to determine that with anywhere near the absolute certainty you're describing.

Realize that I'm not attacking you specifically...I collect scans of books which are either great examples which help to reverse-engineer CGC's standard, and I also collect scans of apparent mistakes or inconsistencies in their grading. On this book, I'm not sure I can use it for any of those except that as an example that they allow a lot of soiling in the 8.0 grade, but I've already got an example with more soiling that's graded higher.

So let's start getting specific with what makes it overgraded. Which defects make the book incorrectly graded--the soiling, the creasing, or both? How many creases can you spot?