• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How is this an 8.0??

60 posts in this topic

It's about the grading, not CGC. I can understand how you have trouble understanding how somebody could objectively care about truth over ego, however.

What exactly do you think I'm getting out of "kissing CGC's arse"? I never will be a pro grader...it'd be a paycut. I care about grading, not CGC's reputation.

Where did you find the one on Heritage? They usually have much larger back cover scans, but I couldn't find it in the permanent auction listings, current auction, or November auction preview by searching on the phrase "young allies 5"

Prices Realized Archive . Do a search on Young Allies.

Take your own advice and think objectively. How much $$$ in CGC comics do you own?

Absolute horse-hockey. I own $$$ in high-grade comics, not CGC comics. CGC just certifies they're high grade. Today's CGC comics are the next decade's reslab candidates once a tighter grading service comes along. My horse isn't tied to CGC, it's tied to the comics industry as a whole. CGC is gonna sink or swim with or without my help.

That's a nice fishing attempt though, Mr. Ego, but try again. What do I have to gain from kissing CGC's arse?

Absolute horse-hockey. I own $$$ in high-grade comics, not CGC comics. CGC just certifies they're high grade.

Interesting statement, and quite incorrect. Of the slabbed books, you don't own high-grade comics, only comics CGC has stated as high-grade.

Many cases these are one and the same, but not in all. So stop trying to "maintain your investment in CGC comics" through highly dubious arse-kissing.

First let me say...I don't think you are attacking me personally and that I enjoy this type of discussion...

Think about what you said..."It is obvious to all and any explanation will fall short of changing this fact..." that means you've got all the data that is possible to collect and no further is needed, and even if you did get any new data, "any explanation will fall short of changing this fact..." You can't grade a book based upon a scan, particularly one of this size. And even if you could, NOTHING could change your mind? That's the bias I was referring to. I mean, we could be right, the book could be overgraded, but I would argue strongly you don't have the evidence to determine that with anywhere near the absolute certainty you're describing.

I am basing my interpretation of the scan as an absolute fact that the soiling that is present is adhering to creases the same way a piece of paper would if you were to rub it lightly with a pencil while it sat on a quarter...

The "wrinkles" are there and I am confidant in my assesment....there are also creases that throw this book out of the 8.0 range...(I am also confidant of that)...

Interesting statement, and quite incorrect. Of the slabbed books, you don't own high-grade comics, only comics CGC has stated as high-grade.

Many cases these are one and the same, but not in all. So stop trying to "maintain your investment in CGC comics" through highly dubious arse-kissing.

You could look at a 5-year old girl skipping through a field picking daisies, tangling them in her hair, and still find some facet in that scene to [!@#%^&^] about and support your grand theory about how the world is going to pot.

Is it impossible to you to believe that I actually am interested in this Young Allies #5 as an opportunity to expand my own grading expertise, and if possible--for the open-minded amongst us--other people's grading expertise also? Is everybody always a cow-towing, self-centered lowbrow to you? How many more pages worth of grading commentary do I have to write before you realize I'm interested in the topic itself and not whether or not CGC is doing a good job at it? This discussion will eventually get to the Overstreet stance on soiling if you'll stop being a and weaving your grand critical hypothesis.

I just can't imagine that in all those decades of reading you've done that you've not come across the idea that a perpetual negative critic is one of the most disliked, cowardly members of society...it typically comes from people who are too afraid to do anything positive with their own lives and they get off on throwing stones at the people who build. You tell us all that you're here to help the speculators not get ripped off, but that's just SO much [!@#%^&^]...the moderns speculators you proclaim yourself to be the savior of RARELY frequent these boards. I asked you this as ComicInvestor and got no answer--why not take your market evangelism over to the E-Bay or Wizard-related boards where it will do some good? I'm not saying "get out of here" because I'm still hoping you'll eventually lose the negativity--I've seen signs of you not dragging arguments out to the Nth degree over the last month or two.

I've asked you this half a dozen times--if you really can't stop yourself from [!@#%^&^] on other people, at least have the courtesy to stop doing it on me...or if you're going to do it...do it in a way that's positive and could help a brotha out by using specific statements which come from my mouth, not generalistic stereotypes that you could level at freakin' anybody around here.

Prices Realized Archive . Do a search on Young Allies.

I just did again and couldn't find it...this time I also checked the box to search for items not sold and still didn't see it using the search phrase "young allies".

Which auction was it in--month and year? I figure it's gotta be a recent one with that new label style.

I just can't imagine that in all those decades of reading you've done that you've not come across the idea that a perpetual negative critic is one of the most disliked, cowardly members of society...it typically comes from people who are too afraid to do anything positive with their own lives and they get off on throwing stones at the people who build.

893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

Just because I think CGC pulled a boner with this book, and feel that Daredevil and The Hulk are not movie masterpieces, is not reason to pull your usual Net-Geek level insult.

Grow up.

Alright, I'm attacking this from a different angle. The single character trait I possess that I believe to be my greatest comparative strength is my perceived ability to remain highly objective in almost every situation where there is time to consider all sides of an issue. Your generalist accusation that I'm biased because I own thousands of bucks in CGC-graded comics is offensive to me.

What specifically--not generally, because you could pull that argument out and use it on anybody in the entire forum besides yourself, since you don't buy many comics--what specific evidence do you have that you're right and that I don't debate these grading issues because I'm interested in seeing the grading standard defined with a higher level of clarity?

Alright, I'm attacking this from a different angle. The single character trait I possess that I believe to be my greatest comparative strength is my perceived ability to remain highly objective...

Oh man, this is too much. You NEVER, EVER take any side in an argument, except pro-CGC. You're not objective in the least, unless in your world, objective = CGC shill.

Just because I think CGC pulled a boner with this book, and feel that Daredevil and The Hulk are not movie masterpieces, is not reason to pull your usual Net-Geek level insult.

Grow up.

Ah, "net-geek". Yea, the antipathy for the pure critic hasn't been around since the beginning of civilization! It hasn't found in literature for thousands of years--it's an Internet invention!

You stop being an arse and I'll stop being one back. mad.gif

Oh man, this is too much. You NEVER, EVER take any side in an argument, except pro-CGC. You're not objective in the least, unless in your world, objective = CGC shill.

And if I provide you with no less than a dozen links to threads where I criticize CGC--which I'm really gonna have fun doing because I've posted a lot more than that--are you gonna publicly withdraw this accusation? Or are you just going to ignore the evidence like you usually do?

Which auction was it in--month and year? I figure it's gotta be a recent one with that new label style.

Grrrr....... 893frustrated.gif

1. My Comics

2. My Bids

3. Prices Realized Archives (Link at far right)

4. Search "Young Allies" in all past auctions

===> results in 2 pages of results with 5 copies of YA# 5.

1. My Comics

2. My Bids

===> results in 2 pages of results with copies of YA# 5.

That's where I was looking before...still not seeing any 8.0 copies of #5. Can you give me a lot #?

Ah, "net-geek". Yea, the antipathy for the pure critic 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

Your comment is asinine; just because I disagree with your views on comics (and that The Hulk and Daredevil are not Oscar-calibre movies) you paint me as some negative thinker.

I'm an upbeat person, but I do admit it difficult to say anything positive about a hobby that is on yet another speculative bubble. Happens every 10 years, and each time I find myself looking at comics without the rose-colored glasses on.

Grrrr....... 893frustrated.gif

1. My Comics

2. My Bids

===> results in 2 pages of results with 5 copies of YA# 5.

But where is the book that is the source of this debate???.... 893frustrated.gif