• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

comic bags

18 posts in this topic

I am also curious on what the consensus is on this, and what if any scientific support there is for changing them out often. I am currently changing out the bags on mine for the first time since 1987.

Aside from wavy bags that keep them from looking their best when looking at them through the bags, the comics look in about the same shape as when I first bagged them. I only wish I had had bags to put them in when i first collected them from the mid 60's to mid 70's.

Regular polybags ive heard different people say 3 months to 2 years.

3 months??? Are you saying you know people that swap out their polybags every 3 months? That's just ludicrous, isn't it? Why bother with the bags at all?

Of course, you could sell a lot of bags that way . . . :devil:

A few years ago I liberated about 800 comics from my parents' basement. I had collected these (mostly new off the racks) from age 10 to about age 15. Now, over 20 years later, I carefully sliced them all out of the old bags and re-bagged. They hadn't even been boarded, just polybagged and sealed with tape, in a cardboard box in a cool/dry basement. Chalk it up to the arid Winnipeg climate, but they all survived extremely well. No noticeable yellowing of pages, no problems with ink transfer onto the inside of the bags, etc.

What I learned from this unplanned "time capsule" is that the external factors (low temp, low humidity, no light damage) are much more important than the caliber of the bags and boards. Just my 2c

i said i heard and read different time frames. one person said 3 months, another said 6 months and another said 2 years. i agree with you that changing every 3 months is just crazy. long term safekeeping i would say put in a gerber mylar and full-back. if you are constantly going to be flipping your books, use polybags.

dont shoot the messenger man!! lol

I still have some in polyethylene bags that I purchased over 30-35 years ago. Anybody remember Avery B. Klein's Investor's Corporation of America?

The safe length of time really depends on storage conditions.

Hot and humid means change more often.

Cool and dry means you could probably leave them alone for your lifetime.

I still have some in polyethylene bags that I purchased over 30-35 years ago. Anybody remember Avery B. Klein's Investor's Corporation of America?

agree 1000 percent!! (thumbs u

I bagged, boarded and graded 100 12 cent TOS's yesterday. i used Mylite 2 mylars, front and back microchamber paper and Fullbacks. i doubt they will ever need to be replaced in anyone's lifetimes on these boards. My only concern is that the books fit a little too snug in the bags. (they're perfect for longterm storage but i wouldn't want to pull them out of the bags at a show).

However, the importance of climate control cannot be overstated either. keep 'em cool, dry and dark and have no worries.

Poly bags are Krap........i personally find nothing as distasteful (comics related) as unbagging an old unboarded SA book from a Robert Bell poly bag with tape on it. the bags have usually started to take on a sick yellowish/green color and the tape has started to dissolve - yuck............ :sick:

Regular polybags ive heard different people say 3 months to 2 years. Mylars you can leave for 100 years, so they say. 500th post whoo-hoo!!

I hear you should change the bags daily. That's all I do now. Just change bags. Start on Action Comics at 8 AM...finish up with Zap at 5 PM. Call it day and start over the next day. Don't get me wrong I'm not obsessive - I take the weekends and major holidays off.....

Back in the days when I used poly bags I would try to change them out every 5 years. I even made up a crazy system where I would put little colored stickers on each bag as I would bag the books throughout the year. So I knew that in 1990 it was time to change the ones with the green stickers, 1991 time to change the ones with the blue stickers, etc. Man, I had way too much time on my hands as a kid. I made the switch to Mylites awhile back for everything, so I don't worry about it anymore....

lol Sorry, but this is the only place ive posted that much. This board always has people on it to talk to and the people on here are loaded with knowledge of comic books that i learn something everyday. Such like today, i learned that you dont give a rats behind about post counts, lol

Oh and thanks for likeing our products. We have new and improved polybags now!!

Who are you? Randy Jackson?

Who are you? Randy Jackson?

Nah dawg!!