• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age X-Men 9.6s on ebay!!!!!!!

98 posts in this topic

Wow, this really got blown out of proportion.

Tell that to all the underbidders...

Jim

I am one of the underbidders or would you prefer to call me a shill as well?

Depends...how much did you bid? hm

Hey...bottomline...he shouldn't have put the comic on eBay if he wasn't willing to sell it. Personally, I wouldn't have taken the top bidder's bit of gratitude or, god forbid, sympathy, if sincere, and sold the comic. You put a reserve on the comic. People other than board thrill bidders have bids up in good faith hoping for a deal. That's how eBay works. Looks like in this case, the rules were bent.

We dog out non-members on an almost weekly basis for the exact same thing...board members shouldn't be and aren't immune when they engage in the same activity...

Jim

Wow, this really got blown out of proportion.

Tell that to all the underbidders...

Jim

I am one of the underbidders or would you prefer to call me a shill as well?

Depends...how much did you bid? hm

Hey...bottomline...he shouldn't have put the comic on eBay if he wasn't willing to sell it. Personally, I wouldn't have taken the top bidder's bit of gratitude or, god forbid, sympathy, if sincere, and sold the comic. You put a reserve on the comic. People other than board thrill bidders have bids up in good faith hoping for a deal. That's how eBay works. Looks like in this case, the rules were bent.

We dog out non-members on an almost weekly basis for the exact same thing...board members shouldn't be and aren't immune when they engage in the same activity...

Jim

He got lucky and Drew cut him a break. If I had won, he would have been out one X-Men 31. I am more of an assh*le than Drew. Bottomline, both the seller and the buyer chose not to complete the transaction for whatever reasons. Happens everyday on eBay.

Maybe...but when stuff like this happens it taints all your future auctions regardless of the explanation. Personally, I'd bit the bullet and sold it because it looks too damn suspicious to explain away...

Jim

I know Danny and I know Drew. As far as I am concerned nothing is tainted or suspicious. No good deed goes unpunished...

Have you ever met them personally?

Jim

In fairness, MK advertised the auctions here, he should of disclosed ALL here not waited to be outed.. the stink is lingering a bit on this one.

The old two sets of rules scenario raises it's head preety high from where I'm sitting.

This may be irrelevant but I had every intention on bidding on that book.

For one, its a beautiful book and I did not want to see Danny loose that kind of coin. Only reason I did not is, I asked him who the high bidder was and when I found out it was a forumite I backed off.

If he did not tell me who it was, I would have bid on it and would have done the same thing as Drew did.

I told him it was a bad idea listing it on Ebay at this time and he should consign it.

Thats it really, nothing shady or underhanded going on (shrug)

This may be irrelevant but I had every intention on bidding on that book.

For one, its a beautiful book and I did not want to see Danny loose that kind of coin. Only reason I did not is, I asked him who the high bidder was and when I found out it was a forumite I backed off.

If he did not tell me who it was, I would have bid on it and would have done the same thing as Drew did.

I told him it was a bad idea listing it on Ebay at this time and he should consign it.

Thats it really, nothing shady or underhanded going on (shrug)

Sorry Nik...we're going to have to disagree here. You'd just be a facilitator to a bad auction and screwing legitimate bidders who put in good faith bids.

I know you and possibly Drew were trying to help out but all you'd be doing is either making someone pay more than they should for the comic or bailing out a bad decision despite being warned beforehand. MK's an adult and should have conducted himself as one...

I may have some sympathy if the money was needed for something critical like a needed operation but he was flipping to buy original art for christ's sake...

Jim

How did the underbidders get screwed when Drew was the only one to hit the reserve?

Okay, I'm not putting credence in the theories, but I'll try to explain what some are saying may have happened:

Since MK listed the book without reserve, and it was won by Drew, then the transaction was subsequently called off... it is conceivable that Drew's bid may have been an "unofficial reserve price" and never intended to win, but to protect the original investment.

If Drew won, the transaction wouldn't go through, but if someone outbid him and his unofficial reserve, then MK would make his money back.

If true, then MK and Drew definitely screwed the underbidders, but again, I'm just outlining the theory and who knows what really happened. (shrug)

How did the underbidders get screwed when Drew was the only one to hit the reserve?

Okay, I'm not putting credence in the theories, but I'll try to explain what some are saying may have happened:

Since MK listed the book without reserve, and it was won by Drew, then the transaction was subsequently called off... it is conceivable that Drew's bid may have been an "unofficial reserve price" and never intended to win, but to protect the original investment.

If Drew won, the transaction wouldn't go through, but if someone outbid him and his unofficial reserve, then MK would make his money back.

If true, then MK and Drew definitely screwed the underbidders, but again, I'm just outlining the theory and who knows what really happened. (shrug)

(thumbs u You pretty much covered it. It's not a hard concept to grasp. Some are being purposely dense...

Jim

So you are saying that I used Drew as a shill? Thats ridiculous :screwy:

First off, unlike many board members I dont shill my auctions. I advertise them here and board members can bid if they like to. I only have one username and one username only. Drew, like many board members placed a bid on the auction. Did I ask Drew to place a bid... NO. Drew placed a bid on his own and if he wanted to take the book and flip it for profit, he would have. Instead he decided to be nice and let me slide because he felt bad. Jesus Christ, a board member does something nice for another board member and a couple of 30-50 year old adults start coming up with some ludicrous theories.. come on.. stop wasting your time trying to make something out of nothing.

We must have been watching different auctions then...Mk's had a reserve and it wasn't hit until Drew bid. Therefore, none of the underbidder's got screwed because they didn't hit the reserve anyway. (shrug)

So you are saying that I used Drew as a shill? Thats ridiculous :screwy:

That's what it appears like...regardless the circumstances, you two screwed some bidders that placed good faith bids. Whether that was the intent or not, that's what's occurred...

Jim