• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week Back From CGC
45 45

17,941 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, cupny said:

Yesterday I received my package from CGC - they were submitted back on May 30 in Buffalo, so nearly 3 months!  I am very happy with what was delivered.  Most of these books were purchased years ago (moderns not withstanding), and some were graded by the other team.  Here are the first 2, I'll get the rest up later.

FF 13.  This book was purchased from in infamous robojo33 years ago, prior to me lurking and learning from these boards.  I bought it raw as a 8.5 in eBay.  I decided to submit it so I could finally determine if it was restored or not - when I opened the package yesterday and only saw Blue it was a huge relief.  

Iron Man 55.  Purchased at the LCS graded at F-VF for a Pre-Hype price.  I did not have any of my books pressed.  Perhaps I should?  Opinions?  Anyway, very pleased with the 8.5 grade.  The new holders are very nice and clean.  Visually, the books look nicer than ever.  No Newton Rings on these two books.

FF 13.jpg

Iron 55.jpg

Thanks for posting the results of your submit.  The books look great!  I was wondering how the rest of the submit turned out, the other 8 books - Newtons on some of those, or none to speak of?  You've got a grade date of 8/16, so it gives us some idea of what's happening as they move through August. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Love said:

RMA, congrats on the great results!  Could you perhaps give us your assessment as to Rings?  and the grade date on this batch?  can't read the cert #s

Are you curious if rings are still as prevalent?  My recent returns indicate it's just as bad.  I have about 100 books coming back this week (I organized my sealed 25 year old collection) and can take a look.  I haven't seen any indication yet that they're any less of an issue.

On some recent books I sent in (CPR'd for signatures) I've been getting the same or a one grade drop.  The books look amazing through the slab, so I just imagine they're grading a bit harder lately?

15 minutes ago, Nemogollom said:

Are you curious if rings are still as prevalent?  My recent returns indicate it's just as bad.  I have about 100 books coming back this week (I organized my sealed 25 year old collection) and can take a look.  I haven't seen any indication yet that they're any less of an issue.

Yes, curious, as this is an ongoing huge deal.  If you could give us a breakdown when your books come back, that would be extremely helpful.  A sample size such as yours, 100 books, is very significant and would give much needed info, in a way that small lots of 2-5 books won't reveal as much.  Thanks for being willing to come back and report!

Hello again.  Her are 2 more books.  I have included some photo's of the rings below.

Planet Comics 56      One of my favorites, brings me back to the wonders of the Sears or JCP catalogue days...  Anyway, you can only see rings if the book is at a extreme angle and in bright light.  Straight on, the book appears not to have them.  Submitted both of these Planets in the other "P" holder - they were graded both 7.0.  Once again, very happy with the Universal Blue holders.  The reason that I keep mentioning the other guy is that I once bought a universal ASM #5 from them graded 6.0.  I sent it to CGC - still in its holder, and it came back 5.0 Green Label "Missing 12th Page".  That really hurt.

Planet Comics 59     Another book that was graded by the others at 7.0 OW-W.  As you can see the pg quality must have gotten worse.  Very nice orange and green on this one.  I have included 2 photo's of the Rings.  First shows a straight on view - no issues.  Second shows the book at an extreme angle and under the light.  You can see the rings

Planet 59.jpg

Planet 56.jpg

Planet 59 no rings.jpg

Planet 59 rings.jpg

4 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

RMA, congrats on the great results!  Could you perhaps give us your assessment as to Rings?  and the grade date on this batch?  can't read the cert #s

They're present on most of these, to one degree or another. They were graded the first half of July.

7 minutes ago, cupny said:

You can see the rings

Nice books!

For the rings, I can definitely say it looks like you can see them on both books in the same middle spot without enlarging.  The rings really bother me too. I posted a Rai #0 on here a little while ago, and the entire front is covered in them.  It sucks as most of my books I was having graded to slide into frames to be displayed.

2 more from my group that I got back from CGC this Week.  

All Star Western 10  This is another change over from the other "P" company.  Went into CGC as a 7.0 LT - OW and came back with the same grade, but OW-W pages

Vampirella v4 #11  I'm not much of a modern CGC'er, but I really like Adam Hughes and bought the regular and the Virgin covers.  My 1st 9.8 sub.  

Small central pools of rings on these 2 - hard to see straight on, but can be seen at an angle. 

All Star Western.jpg

Vampirella Virgin.jpg