• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week Back From CGC
45 45

17,941 posts in this topic

Got back into sending in, after a long hiatus of submitting- and just wasn't sure what 9.8s would be- but seem to be in tune with the CGC graders. Went for it and sent in some modern variants. Super glad they got 9.8s.... especially that Captain America!!! came back today :bigsmile:...day after 4th of July ;)  :headbang:

!!!!20190705_135150_resized.jpg

9 minutes ago, prturr said:

Got back into sending in, after a long hiatus of submitting- and just wasn't sure what 9.8s would be- but seem to be in tune with the CGC graders. Went for it and sent in some modern variants. Super glad they got 9.8s.... especially that Captain America!!! came back today :bigsmile:...day after 4th of July ;)  :headbang:

!!!!20190705_135150_resized.jpg

that Dell Otto GI Joe though! :o Congrats ;) 

16 minutes ago, prturr said:

Thanks!! :) I know right, been waiting to send it in! Love that one. I almost sold it a couple of times last yr for like 90 when I needed some cash (:doh!

Glad that you didn't, doesn't seem to be too many sales on ebay, but is a awesome Dell Otto! Glad that it worked out :whee: 

42 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Glad that you didn't, doesn't seem to be too many sales on ebay, but is a awesome Dell Otto! Glad that it worked out :whee: 

Thanks A! yeah, I noticed that...they should be selling more- a different, obscure, hard to find Snake Eyes Dell'Otto..that's enough for me  xD . There's a nice ungraded on there/ebay now though.. says 8.5 but looks higher than that. I might scoop that one up also lol  got to ask the seller for a back cover pic.

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Still some winners @aszumilo congrats, I'm sure you waited a while with TAT, but hopefully worth the wait!

Yes there are some winners.  I sent them in on 3/17 and got them back on 7/5, so just under 4 months.  CCS took the longest amount of the time they were there.  I am not unhappy with the grades.  I thought I looked them over pretty well, except for the Devil Dinosaur and the Bane.  Those were last minute adds.  Only one I am disappointed in, really, is the Tec 880.  Can't believe I missed that crease, as small as it was.  Not saying it wasn't there before I sent it in, but, if it was, I missed it.  Really thought it had a shot at 9.9. 

The Devil Dinosaur was the biggest surprise of the bunch.  I thought it was about a 9.2/9.4 and was hoping for a 9.6 bump.  Real happy to see it come back as a 9.8.

Usually my submissions are pretty spot on to what I was thinking.  This was the worst submission I have had in that regards, but, I wasn't that far off on most of the grades, so, all is well.  Some are for my collection (KJ 3rd print 9.8, Devil Dinosaur 1 9.8, and X-men 101 8.5), the others may end up for sale.

Edited by aszumilo

On 7/5/2019 at 8:59 PM, aszumilo said:

Looking back thru my records, The DC Comics Presents was purchased from Kramerica, back in 2011.  Didn't realize it was that long ago.  He had it listed as a 9.4 and not a 9.6 as I previously thought, so, that takes some of the sting out.

It’s still a solid grade, and yea that definitely takes the sting off a bit. I have nowhere near the experience level as a lot of the people on here so I commonly have “stings”. Slowly getting better with time, more submissions, and learning where to look and what to look for.

So hopefully that makes you feel a little better, being able to hear my misery 😂. I had two subs I got back recently that I thought had at least a 9.8, maybe higher, and was sadly disappointed by 9.6’s. No graders notes on why, which I typically rely on to learn what I missed and what to look for. I’m slowly trying to get into flipping some (sorry if that upsets people, even if it never happens, but wouldn’t that be a dream come true, to collect and sell comics full time?), so the difference between a 9.6 and 9.8 as we all know can be pretty substantial. Still made money, just not nearly as much. 

8 minutes ago, Phish&Comics said:

Finally got my submission back, along with the Goon Color Special 'mechanical error' that they missed the double cover on :eyeroll:. Did about as expected; HoS 92 I was expecting at 3.0 at most, so I'm happy with the 4.0. Batman 232 I thought for sure was at least a 5.5, so that one stung a little. Can't win them all!

Congrats! Awesome books! hm 

Also, how did they mess up on the double cover? I have a Batman #183 at CGC that is a double cover :) 

And it appears that you have both covers graded on you "GOON", so didn't know if "they caught it before it shipped?"

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Congrats! Awesome books! hm 

Also, how did they mess up on the double cover? I have a Batman #183 at CGC that is a double cover :) 

And it appears that you have both covers graded on you "GOON", so didn't know if "they caught it before it shipped?"

Thanks, dude! They only graded the outside cover initially. So it came back a 9.0 with no mention of a double cover. No clue how or when it was actually missed on their end. I emailed them about it and they regraded/shipped at no charge. 

Just now, Phish&Comics said:

Thanks, dude! They only graded the outside cover initially. So it came back a 9.0 with no mention of a double cover. No clue how or when it was actually missed on their end. I emailed them about it and they regraded/shipped at no charge. 

Well I don't believe your the only one, as someone mentioned it in CGC TAT thread, but I'm holding my breath on mine. Since mine is a value tier, I'm holding my breath until first week of Sep form May 9th :roflmao: 

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Well I don't believe your the only one, as someone mentioned it in CGC TAT thread, but I'm holding my breath on mine. Since mine is a value tier, I'm holding my breath until first week of Sep form May 9th :roflmao: 

I believe that was me in the TAT thread! xD

It's a pretty egregious error IMO and hopefully doesn't happen that often. As long as they open the book I bet you'll be fine ;)