• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week Back From CGC
45 45

17,936 posts in this topic

By the way...this copy:

NYX%204%202.jpg

...is this copy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NYX-4-2nd-appearance-X-23-NM-9-6-Beautiful-/191947429537?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

And the one offer was for $50.

I think I'll get a tad more than that now, hopefully.

This market is nuts. Certifiably.

Yeah, that's why all of the raws I have (like 2 copies of Nyx 4) get stockpiled in short boxes, intil I press and sub them.

I don't even bother listing raws on eBay, if it's not worth slabbing , I'd rather sell/sacrifice a $30 book out of my $10 boxes at shows.

Check GPA on 4,5,6.....a 6 sold for $375 in 9.8 this past month.

I sold a slabbed 5 in 9.8 for about $250 via BIN 2 months back.

Far as the market observation, yeah.Spot on.

I was set up at Eternal Con and had a guy at my booth who I recognized as a buyer for a New Suicide Squad 1 that I had graded at 9.6, from last year's Eternal Con...he told me that I had a 9.6 on the book, my assigned grade...and that he had it slabbed , got a CGC 9.8 out of it.

Presto, a $125 book.

Oh, he also didn't buy anything else from me, either...ugh.

Not to say that CGC is grading loose or anything like that, because they are not.

By the way...this copy:

NYX%204%202.jpg

...is this copy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NYX-4-2nd-appearance-X-23-NM-9-6-Beautiful-/191947429537?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Yeah, that's why all of the raws I have (like 2 copies of Nyx 4) get stockpiled in short boxes, intil I press and sub them.

I don't even bother listing raws on eBay, if it's not worth slabbing , I'd rather sell/sacrifice a $30 book out of my $10 boxes at shows.

Check GPA on 4,5,6.....a 6 sold for $375 in 9.8 this past month.

I sold a slabbed 5 in 9.8 for about $250 via BIN 2 months back.

Far as the market observation, yeah.Spot on.

I was set up at Eternal Con and had a guy at my booth who I recognized as a buyer for a New Suicide Squad 1 that I had graded at 9.6, from last year's Eternal Con...he told me that I had a 9.6 on the book, my assigned grade...and that he had it slabbed , got a CGC 9.8 out of it.

Presto, a $125 book.

Oh, he also didn't buy anything else from me, either...ugh.

Not to say that CGC is grading loose or anything like that, because they are not.

#6 is worth money? hm

esw5BPE.jpg?1

By the way...this copy:

NYX%204%202.jpg

...is this copy:

No offense, but offering a 9.6 raw at that price at that time would not have been a good deal for anyone looking to do anything but put it in their personal collection. Knowing how you grade ( that's a compliment ), I wouldn't have offered much more than $50 myself at the time.

By the way...this copy:

NYX%204%202.jpg

...is this copy:

No offense, but offering a 9.6 raw at that price at that time would not have been a good deal for anyone looking to do anything but put it in their personal collection. Knowing how you grade ( that's a compliment ), I wouldn't have offered much more than $50 myself at the time.

The last sale of a graded 9.6 was $325 when I listed the book. $100 less than that was more than a fair deal, at the time of the listing. I'm not going to give away a book that was (obviously) a very high grade copy. If that means I have to grade every last copy of every last book, that's fine, that's the reality as it stands, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to try to avoid the time and expense if I can. $50, regardless of how you slice it, for a book that is offered for $225, with the last sold graded copy at $325, is the definition of "lowball."

And $225 would have ultimately been a very good deal for whomever bought it. $150 would have been a very good deal. $50...?

It's not a fire sale.

By the way...this copy:

NYX%204%202.jpg

...is this copy:

The last sale of a graded 9.6 was $325 when I listed the book. $100 less than that was more than a fair deal, at the time of the listing. I'm not going to give away a book that was (obviously) a very high grade copy. If that means I have to grade every last copy of every last book, that's fine, that's the reality as it stands, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to try to avoid the time and expense if I can. $50, regardless of how you slice it, for a book that is offered for $225, with the last sold graded copy at $325, is the definition of "lowball."

And $225 would have ultimately been a very good deal for whomever bought it. $150 would have been a very good deal. $50...?

It's not a fire sale.

That $325 was an anomaly. The recorded sales immediately following it were $126, $117, $169 and $128. If the book would've come back graded at 9.6 the person buying in at $225 would be under water. 2c

By the way...this copy:

NYX%204%202.jpg

...is this copy:

It's not a fire sale.

That $325 was an anomaly. The recorded sales immediately following it were $126, $117, $169 and $128. If the book would've come back graded at 9.6 the person buying in at $225 would be under water. 2c

Granted. And I certainly wasn't expecting it to sell for $225. But was there no one willing to make a $150 offer? $175?

No, because everyone (at least in the high grade Silver and later market) behaves as if no one can grade except CGC, and if it's not in a slab, it's a de facto 8.0, and offers are made as such. But, the book comes back a 9.8, and I doubt I'll get much less than $350 for it.

That's why the market is nuts.

By the way...this copy:

NYX%204%202.jpg

...is this copy:

It's not a fire sale.

Granted. And I certainly wasn't expecting it to sell for $225. But was there no one willing to make a $150 offer? $175?

No, because everyone (at least in the high grade Silver and later market) behaves as if no one can grade except CGC, and if it's not in a slab, it's a de facto 8.0, and offers are made as such. But, the book comes back a 9.8, and I doubt I'll get much less than $350 for it.

I consider you to be a good grader and if you call something a 9.6 I personally wouldn't take a chance on it coming back a 9.8 :)

By the way...this copy:

NYX%204%202.jpg

...is this copy:

It's not a fire sale.

I consider you to be a good grader and if you call something a 9.6 I personally wouldn't take a chance on it coming back a 9.8 :)

Yes, I understand your point, but that's still not the point I'm trying to make. It's the exact same book. There's nothing different about it, except that it's now in a case with a certain grade. And, because it's now in that case, it's "worth" substantially more than it could have been bought for previously...no difference. Same exact book, same exact condition. The only difference is entirely external to the book itself.

And I have thousands, if not tens of thousands, of books in the exact same situation. Outside of the slab, the books are "worthless." Inside of a slab, now they're worth a fortune.

What's different...? (rhetorical question: the slab is what adds the value, which is a very, very, very bad sign about the health of the market.)

By the way...this copy:

NYX%204%202.jpg

...is this copy:

It's not a fire sale.

Yes, I understand your point, but that's still not the point I'm trying to make. It's the exact same book. There's nothing different about it, except that it's now in a case with a certain grade. And, because it's now in that case, it's "worth" substantially more than it could have been bought for previously...no difference. Same exact book, same exact condition. The only difference is entirely external to the book itself.

And I have thousands, if not tens of thousands, of books in the exact same situation. Outside of the slab, the books are "worthless." Inside of a slab, now they're worth a fortune.

What's different...? (rhetorical question: the slab is what adds the value, which is a very, very, very bad sign about the health of the market.)

It's been that way since CGCs inception. (shrug)

By the way...this copy:

NYX%204%202.jpg

...is this copy:

It's not a fire sale.

To some extent, yes, to most extent, no.

By the way...this copy:

NYX%204%202.jpg

...is this copy:

It's not a fire sale.

To some extent, yes, to most extent, no.

Tell me more :popcorn: