• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week Back From CGC
45 45

17,936 posts in this topic

I just got grades for a bunch of moderns this morning. A lot of 9.6/9.4 and just a couple 9.8. The graders notes on the 9.6 are for one minor issue (light or small with no color break) or there are no notes at all. Seriously, what ever happened to 9.8 being able to have one tiny defect? The 9.4 graders notes sounded like graders notes for a 9.6 (light spine stress lines to cover). Ill resubmit some of these at some point but I worry about some of my other modern submissions. Modern grading is very inconsistent right now imo.

44 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

I just got grades for a bunch of moderns this morning. A lot of 9.6/9.4 and just a couple 9.8. The graders notes on the 9.6 are for one minor issue (light or small with no color break) or there are no notes at all. Seriously, what ever happened to 9.8 being able to have one tiny defect? The 9.4 graders notes sounded like graders notes for a 9.6 (light spine stress lines to cover). Ill resubmit some of these at some point but I worry about some of my other modern submissions. Modern grading is very inconsistent right now imo.

It's ok - 9.6 is the new 9.8.  Prescreening is your friend until things lighten up a bit.

13 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

These are SS, so I can't pre-screen. :( But, If/when I re-submit, Ill definitely do that (or can you pre-screen SS books?).

Don't know about that one.  I've never heard of a SS pre-screening so I'd doubt it.

Yeah, Im pretty sure the process would be to deslab before screening, so they probably can't do SS. Oh well. Im just hoping my Batman 608 RRP has an experienced grader and not some noob trying to impress his boss with how he can detect a tiny mark and assign a 9.6.

3 hours ago, kevhtx said:

They're tight all around right now.  I entered collecting retirement in the mid 90's so wasn't around for CGC's birth but from what I've read on the boards a 9.8 was sort of like a 9.9/10 is today.  You didn't see them very often and when you did they're absolutely perfect books.  I don't think they're going to those extremes but it seems a 9.8 is definitely not as prevalent as it once was.  However, I had several moderns come back in January and was surprised at 2 of them getting a 9.8.  When I submitted them I thought for sure a 9.4 for one and maybe a 9.6 for the other.  So this could be a newer trend or, what I think, there are a few graders in the ranks that just grade tighter than their coworkers.  I don't mind tight grading.  The long term effect is a general rise in value-to-grade but it has to be consistent across the team or the only effect is leaving value on the table.  Until we can reliably and consistently grade without human interference its the world we live in.

Yeah, I send in a ton of books and just seems like in the past 2-3 months, moderns have seemed to be inconsistent. If they are going to be tight, then be tight all the time. Its hard to make investments in something if inconsistent grading can swing that investment by a lot of money. It makes me not want to buy raw books if I can't trust what grade they could potentially get.

At the very least, we should see grading notes for anything below a 9.8. Just my opinion. Wish it would happen. Its just tough to have slabbed 9.8 books get signed and come back as 9.6. Generally, I window bag and take care of my books. I know they are not getting damaged. If we have notes for everything under 9.8, especially expensive books, I would know if its worth sending to CCS to possibly press/dry clean then regrade. It would be more biz for CCS/CGC.

I learned a lot today. This was my first modern sub in years. Thankfully all had grader's notes except the Deadworld 10. It looks like it's just another 9.6 for the hell of it. I wish I had waited for these to come back before I dropped another 20 moderns on them a week later (they'll be back by next week I'd guess). Oddly enough only the ASM 300 and NM98 were the only books I had pressed. 

NM 98 - small, multiple stain full bottom of interior front cover - OOPS

ASM 300 - light fingerprints, finger bends back cover, very light cover tanning - Makes ense as it was bought unbagged/boarded at the flea market for $1 a few months ago

18033100_1714106635282574_523510756143870980_n.jpg

18033223_1714106688615902_3959206320712498832_n.jpg

18033935_1714106658615905_8159442971453592718_n.jpg

18034256_1714106671949237_8021333309803472485_n.jpg

17884275_1714106648615906_8753916078272261637_n.jpg

26 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

I learned a lot today. This was my first modern sub in years. Thankfully all had grader's notes except the Deadworld 10. It looks like it's just another 9.6 for the hell of it. I wish I had waited for these to come back before I dropped another 20 moderns on them a week later (they'll be back by next week I'd guess). Oddly enough only the ASM 300 and NM98 were the only books I had pressed. 

NM 98 - small, multiple stain full bottom of interior front cover - OOPS

ASM 300 - light fingerprints, finger bends back cover, very light cover tanning - Makes ense as it was bought unbagged/boarded at the flea market for $1 a few months ago

SNAP--- I wouldn't of thought light finger prints and finger bends would count as much off as small multiple stain......

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 4/15/2017 at 2:20 PM, 427Impaler said:

FedEx brought me some joy yesterday

IMG_0003.JPG

What a great haul ! low grade goodness ! they look soooo nice in slabs ! you have great taste ! 

Phantom stranger is :cloud9:  do you have the full six issue run or are you still working on it !

thanks for the pics !!

4 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

What a great haul ! low grade goodness ! they look soooo nice in slabs ! you have great taste ! 

Phantom stranger is :cloud9:  do you have the full six issue run or are you still working on it !

thanks for the pics !!

Agree, horror greatness.