• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week Back From CGC
45 45

17,941 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Sorry to hear this. Just curious if you are pissed at CCS, pissed at yourself(bad decision), or just overall pissed.  I'm glad to hear they at least called you first rather than just going ahead and grading it. Your experience shows pressing, especially GA books, is not without it's dangers. I wonder if special care is taken on GA books or they are simply merged in with the moderns. In your case, maybe just a light spot press, rather than a full blown press, would have been more appropriate. I think Matt Nelson is the best in the business but I doubt if he works on many books himself.  

CCS actually contacted me on one of my group submissions earlier this year stating one book I wanted to have pressed, think it was a early HIT Comics issue had too fragile a spine to press, prior to the process being done.  I honestly did not know that they would proactively contact me if they thought pressing would potentially cause further damage.  They would not press and just passed it over to CGC.  I was glad they did.  

2 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Did CCS offer to do anything about it?

CCS is not responsible for damage due to press according to there site q and a. Here is what they have to say...and I am sorry to hear about your book. That is a real bummer.

While rare, it is possible that a comic can receive a lower grade from CGC after pressing a certified comic. In rare instances, it may also be due to damage that has occurred to the comic book. If damage ever occurs during pressing, the customer will be notified of the damage prior to the book transferring to CGC for grading.

Because of the interactive nature of pressing, damage is always a possibility. This usually happens due to comic books in fragile condition, which includes books that are tanned or brittle, spines exhibiting splits, loose paper on the staples, or pieces that are barely attached. To mitigate the possibility of damage, it is recommended that each book is examined for these defects prior to submission. When in doubt, the CCS screening service should be utilized to assess safety.

Because it is impossible to ensure that damage will not occur, CCS will not be held liable for split spines, covers or pages detached from staples, or detached piece.

Exactly. "...during the pressing process a small spine split opened up, along with the front cover detaching slightly from the top staple of you All-American #89." "...these are side effects of pressing that can occur from time to time, as outlined in our terms of service." "...so you aren't surprised when the book arrives to you in the near future."

1st appearance/intro of Harlequin.  9/47  17 graded copies. TWO in 7.0. 

And that was w/o any pressing etc; straight grade/slab since it was in such great condition. I was really unhappy when it came back as a 7, and after reading the grader notes, I rechecked the cover...and saw the creasing they were talking about - like a bunch of books had been stacked on it - which I had not noted at all when looking at it for sale, in my hands after purchase, and when sending it in. Ah well.  I figured the $ was worth the press to get it up to a 7.5 pretty easily for such an interesting book.

30 minutes ago, Sackolantern said:

Exactly. "...during the pressing process a small spine split opened up, along with the front cover detaching slightly from the top staple of you All-American #89." "...these are side effects of pressing that can occur from time to time, as outlined in our terms of service." "...so you aren't surprised when the book arrives to you in the near future."

1st appearance/intro of Harlequin.  9/47  17 graded copies. TWO in 7.0. 

And that was w/o any pressing etc; straight grade/slab since it was in such great condition. I was really unhappy when it came back as a 7, and after reading the grader notes, I rechecked the cover...and saw the creasing they were talking about - like a bunch of books had been stacked on it - which I had not noted at all when looking at it for sale, in my hands after purchase, and when sending it in. Ah well.  I figured the $ was worth the press to get it up to a 7.5 pretty easily for such an interesting book.

So the book already had a small spine split as a 7.0. In hindsight, I don't think the removal of the crease would have made a grade difference anyway as the spine split would have held it down. This is what many fail to realize, simply removing all pressable defects may not make a difference if there are still other existing defects.  

I didn't say the book had a spine split; the pressing has caused the split. Here's the orig grader notes. Perhaps the 'tear left bottom"  led to the split? Unknown. I'll post a pic when I get it back next week, as it's already been graded.

" chip out right center of front cover
light, multiple crease full right of front cover
moderate tanning interior cover
small, multiple stain left bottom of front cover
tear left bottom of front cover "

4 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Wow. Great book. George Romero died shortly after this signing.

Yes, this is by far my favourite book of this lot.  I think he passed away like just over 2 months later. I knew he was going to be at that con so I hunted ebay and other places for months prior looking for just the right book for him to sign, I wanted one that was more "authentic" to the movies and this fit the bill perfectly and it graded a 9.8 sans pressing. I do love it. 

Well, it's not back yet, but my All-American 89 has been reduced from a 7 to a 5.5.  That's what I get for not specifying; 'all i want is the right half of the cover pressed to get rid of those noncolor-breaking creases'. Live and learn.

Here's 2 shipments that just came in, in the meantime.   Dig the Cap 76. I cannot believe it got a 4.5, then saw that what was a crease/minor tear at bottom at cap's foot...partially fell out while at CGC/CSS. One heck of a pretty 4.5, I'd say.

cap76a_zpssnntvqp2.jpg

cap76b_zpsqicpfme7.jpg

Avengers1_zpsiot40jrw.jpg

bats59_zpsgrspcqlm.jpg

sensation99_zpsfmmb8twg.jpg

ww45_zpsx8pfcamo.jpg

hulk181_zpsttl0p2jb.jpg

The Hulk #181 is a disappointment as well. 7.5?  It had a huge crease in the back cover which CCS pressed out, but that, and the 2 color-breaking spine-ticks pulled this all the way down to 7.5. 

" light spine stress lines breaks color
medium, light crease left top of back cover breaks color "

Edited by Sackolantern
added Grader Notes