• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week Back From CGC
46 46

17,943 posts in this topic

Got my All-American 89 back.... the 7.0 that i sent for a pressing that...became a 5.5.  I wondered how bad a spine split had to be  to result from pressing...and I got a decent picture that I've included here. All I can say is WTH. That split is damn near 2 inches, and there's a slight tear into the cover now.  *Awesome*.

I'm having a Dilbert moment; just paid... $200 to drop the value of the book by... another $1000.

allam89as5dot5_zpslm35acak.jpg

45 minutes ago, Greenlake said:

That wouldn't be acceptable if they were doing resto/conservation work for you; I don't see why it's acceptable for pressing.

'Sorry we f'ed up your book, but you pay your $ and you take your chances'.  - paraphrasing the email I got from CCS, letting me know something happened before they shipped to CGC. The kicker is that the book was so flat and crisp, I didn't have it pressed when I first sent to CGC, came back as a 7, which I thought was LOW. Then I saw the very light creasing on the front right of the cover.  Seemed easy, so after I had it for a year or so, I decided to send it in for pressing. I should have specified ?? only hit the top right, and middle right portions of the cover? The amount of damage is jaw-dropping, as there were no issues there before. 17 total graded copies of the first appearance of Harlequin (All-American Comics #89) There were 2 7.0's now there are 1 7.0 and 1 5.5 in the census. Phooey :[

4 minutes ago, Sackolantern said:

'Sorry we f'ed up your book, but you pay your $ and you take your chances'.  - paraphrasing the email I got from CCS, letting me know something happened before they shipped to CGC. The kicker is that the book was so flat and crisp, I didn't have it pressed when I first sent to CGC, came back as a 7, which I thought was LOW. Then I saw the very light creasing on the front right of the cover.  Seemed easy, so after I had it for a year or so, I decided to send it in for pressing. I should have specified ?? only hit the top right, and middle right portions of the cover? The amount of damage is jaw-dropping, as there were no issues there before. 17 total graded copies of the first appearance of Harlequin (All-American Comics #89) There were 2 7.0's now there are 1 7.0 and 1 5.5 in the census. Phooey :[

First off, I am truly sorry this happened to you. I have experienced similar happenings over the years and not necessarily with CCS. I've learned to never get a personal favorite, keeper type book pressed. The financials are one thing but ruining a Pedigree, one of a kind type of book hurts even more. AS far as reimbursement, this has always been a gray area with pressers and from my experience I have never even been offered store credit, just a oops-sorry.                        - - I've enjoyed newly introduced staple tears. I think it's very important to look at the location of the staples tears before pressing. Some locations are more vulnerable.

- I've enjoyed smeared inks. Certain inks are more vulnerable to this. 

- I've enjoyed newly introduced tears from the dry cleaning.

- And worst of all, I've enjoyed loss of gloss.

Before the all pressers out there start to counterpoint me, all I am saying is stuff happens. Even the best pressers may have a bad day or an accident. I've said it before, Matt @ CCS is as good as they come but he does not do all the pressing himself, in fact probably very little. It sounds like your book should have been spot pressed and not administered a full press.

1 hour ago, Sackolantern said:

Just another thought. Did you resub the book in the slab ? Perhaps it was damaged while removing it from the old slab. There are so many points of failure that can happen. It's not always the press itself.

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Just another thought. Did you resub the book in the slab ? Perhaps it was damaged while removing it from the old slab. There are so many points of failure that can happen. It's not always the press itself.

While yes I submitted in the slab (for protection etc - and no way I want to try opening/damaging with my butterfingers and dull implements) the notification came from CSS saying that it occurred during pressing.

1 minute ago, Sackolantern said:

While yes I submitted in the slab (for protection etc - and no way I want to try opening/damaging with my butterfingers and dull implements) the notification came from CSS saying that it occurred during pressing.

You did the right thing by sending it in the slab, much safer. I'm saying this 'may' have happened when CCS cracked it open or at some other point preparing for the press. I see the black ink on the spine looks like it was peeled off. This is all very puzzling.    

On 12/14/2017 at 9:22 PM, Sackolantern said:

Got my All-American 89 back.... the 7.0 that i sent for a pressing that...became a 5.5.  I wondered how bad a spine split had to be  to result from pressing...and I got a decent picture that I've included here. All I can say is WTH. That split is damn near 2 inches, and there's a slight tear into the cover now.  *Awesome*.

I'm having a Dilbert moment; just paid... $200 to drop the value of the book by... another $1000.

allam89as5dot5_zpslm35acak.jpg

Sorry to hear this happened!

Did you use the screening service by chance? Wondering if that would have helped identify the issue before it hit the press??