• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week Back From CGC
45 45

17,936 posts in this topic

On 8/28/2018 at 10:31 AM, Dr. Love said:

A sample size such as yours, 100 books, is very significant and would give much needed info, in a way that small lots of 2-5 books won't reveal as much.  Thanks for being willing to come back and report!

First 25 arrived (21 pass 9.8 pre-screen).  20 books without any rings, and one spawn book with a few.  All of the SS stuff I've gotten back has been covered in rings, it was crazy that the first 20 books I looked at had none (never seen a case with absolutely none), but then the 21st one brought me back.  Many more books coming in next week.

On 8/30/2018 at 7:37 PM, Nemogollom said:

First 25 arrived (21 pass 9.8 pre-screen).  20 books without any rings, and one spawn book with a few.  All of the SS stuff I've gotten back has been covered in rings, it was crazy that the first 20 books I looked at had none (never seen a case with absolutely none), but then the 21st one brought me back.  Many more books coming in next week.

Next 26 arrived (21 pass 9.8 pre-screen).  18 without any front rings, 2 with tiny ones, 1 with a bunch.  Some of the books had small rings on the backs but not really noticeable.

I also had 5 80's x-men SS books, and an incredible hulk 271 (previously shown here as a misunderstood 9.6, but came back a 9.8 after review) that came back without rings.  Lucky batch this time.  Especially nice because that hulk/rocket book got both a bump and a new case without rings (it came back with rings the first time).

On 9/4/2018 at 8:31 PM, Nemogollom said:

Next 26 arrived (21 pass 9.8 pre-screen).  18 without any front rings, 2 with tiny ones, 1 with a bunch.  Some of the books had small rings on the backs but not really noticeable.

I also had 5 80's x-men SS books, and an incredible hulk 271 (previously shown here as a misunderstood 9.6, but came back a 9.8 after review) that came back without rings.  Lucky batch this time.  Especially nice because that hulk/rocket book got both a bump and a new case without rings (it came back with rings the first time).

Another two batches.  1 of 11 had medium rings on the front, and 1 other had a small set of rear rings.  Then second batch actually went 18/18, although it was supposed to be 19/19 and they returned one of my 9.8 graded books... so, I need to follow up on how to get that slabbed now.

The bulk of these are modern (~1992-1994) $50+ books that were stored for 25 years.  I was going to dump them on eBay or mycomicshop.  Does anyone sell on here to avoid fees, or should I just park them on consignment or something?

Edited by Nemogollom

Got this signed at SDCC (thanks Rich!).  I know it's not high grade/dollar, but was one of my original purchases as a young kid, and I loved Sergio (still do) and Mad Magazine back then.

Newton rings are present on both sides,  but you can only see them when when case is tilted. 

20180906_180603.thumb.jpg.93a07717c8935571419cccdb79ff588a.jpg

Can you believe they graded that #523 so hard? Surprised me....

I got 5 exactly right 1 came back higher and 8 came back 1-2 grades lower than expected.... and the 1 that was beyond me the #523

Oh then there is that pesky hair that IS NOT MINE but IS INSIDE THE CASE!!!doh!