• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week Back From CGC
45 45

17,941 posts in this topic

I was kind of surprised this arrived today. I had submitted through a dealer for pressing and grading so had no clue where it was in the grading process. Anyway it came back a 9.6 but there is an overhang bend on the front right corner.

I wasn’t going to keep it anyway and it’s currently on eBay as an auction 

2D3AAF22-6B6D-41AF-924E-61B590C6306D.jpeg

F4CA2AFD-458D-4B2B-ABAA-A4B62BAA4116.jpeg

1EDE923C-92E8-4AB8-99A8-B27E2866E3FD.jpeg

On 6/4/2020 at 5:59 PM, oldbsturgeon said:

I was kind of surprised this arrived today. I had submitted through a dealer for pressing and grading so had no clue where it was in the grading process. Anyway it came back a 9.6 but there is an overhang bend on the front right corner.

Hi, elaborate on what you are surprised about. The grade, the overhang or something else?

So Much Win right there @Number 6 :whee: 

a 9.6, especially when those would be hard to find in the 9's (imo), but I've had head scratchers before for sure! Congrats either way!
I wonder if on the free account you still get "graders notes", you might!?! :foryou:  If you go to submission tracking, click on sub, then book etc :wishluck: 

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

a 9.6, especially when those would be hard to find in the 9's (imo), but I've had head scratchers before for sure! Congrats either way!
I wonder if on the free account you still get "graders notes", you might!?! :foryou:  If you go to submission tracking, click on sub, then book etc :wishluck: 

For some reason it not letting me do it from my phone. I’ll have to check again when I get on my PC tonight at home. 

As of yesterday there were no grader notes for any of these.  But then again, they weren’t even on the census until this morning. So I’ll look again. 

On 6/4/2020 at 6:59 PM, oldbsturgeon said:

Looks like the overhang was impacted along the edge too...

3D8E7220-D066-44DB-BC3A-99C15E18608C.jpeg

23 hours ago, Number 6 said:

For some reason it not letting me do it from my phone. I’ll have to check again when I get on my PC tonight at home. 

As of yesterday there were no grader notes for any of these.  But then again, they weren’t even on the census until this morning. So I’ll look again. 

Update:  no graders notes on any of these, so no help there. 

On 6/9/2020 at 11:52 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Yeah those PR books can definitely get dinged up the way they were packaged. I don't know how there's no thread dedicated to Star Trek in this whole forum? I'd start one if I had anything cgc related to post. 

...oops nevermind 

Edited by MGsimba77

26 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Yeah those PR books can definitely get dinged up the way they were packaged. I don't know how there's no thread dedicated to Star Trek in this whole forum? I'd start one if I had anything cgc related to post. 

Just setting aside the corner clipping that was part of them being distributed and remaindered like records, which automatically eliminates a lot of copies as high-grade copies there’s the problem of the shrink wrap. 

I get the sense that the conventional wisdom on these is that if you have a factory shrink-wrapped copy then you’ve got a ‘minty” book. But the problem is that the wrap, particularly on the later releases, pull the book tight around the the record inside resulting in circular bends and creases. 

I used to collect these as factory sealed but honestly I think the best thing to do to preserve them is to take them out of the shrink wrap and get them into a bag and board as soon as possible. 

When my father-in-law passed away we took his record collection to sort through to help my mother-in-law. I don’t know much about record condition. grading or values so I checked out a guide from the library. 

One of the things it mentioned in the introduction is that some serious record collectors remove the record from the sleeve and store the records and sleeves separately to prevent the circular wear patterns you commonly see on old records. 

I actually think that’s a good suggestion and recommend that anyone who has high-grade copies of these remove the record from the back of the book and store it separately. 

53 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

I don't know how there's no thread dedicated to Star Trek in this whole forum? I'd start one if I had anything cgc related to post. 

I collect Start Trek, really trying to focus on a graded Gold Key/Whitman run right now. But I also collect the Marvel series and I have a complete run of the first DC series (though I need to upgrade a handful of those). 

I suspect there’s just not that much interest here. I had a sales thread last month and sales were good.... until I posted up the Trek stuff. It was like the thread hit a brick wall, it’s was literally a thread killer, lol 

I mean, I like it, but I get the sense that it’s not “hawt” like Star Wars, and outside of the first issue there’s no keys to speculate on. 

Edit to add:  what’s hard too is that the first 8 or so GK issues are Sliver, the rest are Bronze so it’s hard to have an all-inclusive thread for the first series. 

Edited by Number 6

4 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Just setting aside the corner clipping that was part of them being distributed and remaindered like records, which automatically eliminates a lot of copies as high-grade copies there’s the problem of the shrink wrap. 

I get the sense that the conventional wisdom on these is that if you have a factory shrink-wrapped copy then you’ve got a ‘minty” book. But the problem is that the wrap, particularly on the later releases, pull the book tight around the the record inside resulting in circular bends and creases. 

I used to collect these as factory sealed but honestly I think the best thing to do to preserve them is to take them out of the shrink wrap and get them into a bag and board as soon as possible. 

When my father-in-law passed away we took his record collection to sort through to help my mother-in-law. I don’t know much about record condition. grading or values so I checked out a guide from the library. 

One of the things it mentioned in the introduction is that some serious record collectors remove the record from the sleeve and store the records and sleeves separately to prevent the circular wear patterns you commonly see on old records. 

I actually think that’s a good suggestion and recommend that anyone who has high-grade copies of these remove the record from the back of the book and store it separately. 

Good little tidbit so thanks  :)

I too will inherit a record collection, all used repeatedly for years, and it's nice to know what interested people would be looking for!

I hope that you get more of these graded lol

congrats on these! ^^