• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CELEBRATE THE MANUFACTURING ERRORS
10 10

412 posts in this topic

Here is the Wolverine 145 "Bone Claws" manufactured without the silver foil on the cover.

Why did this one not receive a Qualified label?? hm

CGC has handled manufacturing errors inconsistently over time. Some manufaturing errors that are well known, such as the black cover Venom 1, have always been treated as "variants" and placed in blue labels.

If this book were graded today, I think it would get a green label but I'm not sure.

The Daredevil 16 is manufactured with the interior of Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos 38.

...not to be the devils advocate, but wouldn't that be a Sgt Fury #38 with a DD #16 cover attached (shrug)

Not to be pedantic, with the indicium is on the inside of the cover, it's a DD #16. :devil:

:baiting: What would CGC call this? maybe Dog Ear. :grin:

CGC note; Manufactured with Large Dog Ear on back Cover. lol lol

A13.jpg

:) I have another cool example of this on a ASM #197 front cover. :whistle:

Yes. That is a "dog ear". (thumbs u

Spideymiscut.jpg

The text at the top is used during production. This is how the parts of the piece are identified.

"38845" would be the job number. An internal way of tracking each job.

"Section 1a" would be which part of the book it is. "1a" would be the cover.

Obviously it has the publisher and title.

"Direct" would be the version of the cover it is.

A lot of stuff gets trimmed off that the consumer doesn't get to see. If they do, they have no idea what it is used for. :foryou:

One of the rarest TMNT books out there:

4misprint92.jpgTales12.jpg

So what happened here? Well, the 2nd printing of TMNT #4 and the first printing of a new Mirage book, Tales of the TMNT #1, were sent to the printer at the same time. Somehow, the image for the Tales cover was used for the cover of the TMNT #4 book. The book then made it into distribution where it was immediately recalled. Almost all of the 60,000 books were then destroyed.

On the right, I've put my Tales of the TMNT #1 raw comic so you can compare to the error. Take notice of the Title logo (where the bottom photo shows the words "Tales of the") and also the Price/Issue box.

One of the rarest TMNT books out there:

4misprint92.jpgTales12.jpg

So what happened here? Well, the 2nd printing of TMNT #4 and the first printing of a new Mirage book, Tales of the TMNT #1, were sent to the printer at the same time. Somehow, the image for the Tales cover was used for the cover of the TMNT #4 book. The book then made it into distribution where it was immediately recalled. Almost all of the 60,000 books were then destroyed.

On the right, I've put my Tales of the TMNT #1 raw comic so you can compare to the error. Take notice of the Title logo (where the bottom photo shows the words "Tales of the") and also the Price/Issue box.

:o(worship) (worship) (worship)

i'm going to really stir the stew with this one...

i'm back to the BLAZING COMIC #5 with the DETECTIVE #168 interior....

Not really an error as the Blazing #5 covers were slapped on a wide variety of stripped books for resale.