• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brain fart: Can someone refresh my memory...

11 posts in this topic

This came up in a recent conversation, and I totally blanked out on the specifics. I was talking with someone about pedigrees, the reasons people buy them, etc. I mentioned the one "pedigree" (not even sure if it really is one per se) I would be interested in is buying a comic from the person who lived in Kansas (?) decades ago and is generally credited with starting the back issue market. I guess he "reinforced" his copies to help them last longer before selling them. Sorry if I'm not remembering this exactly, but like I said, I'm blanking out on specifics.

In fact, I know there was a great thread floating around the forums sometime in the past year describing this story. Any help in finding that thread again would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Oh, and by the way, there was a good article about Pop Hollinger away back in the Overstreet Price Guide 12. (Alfred E Newman cover)

I've actually owned three Pop books over the years, all of which I got dirt cheap because they were taped up to a fare-thee-well. I sold them all eventually to the guy that wrote the Overstreet article, who I met on the EBay comics chat board. Nice fellow, very knowledgable, and intends to be buried with his Pop Hollinger Showcase 4.

I would really love to own one of his rebuilt books simply for the history that goes with it. This, to me, would be a pedigree well-worth owning.

And Sho, thanks for the link to the story--exactly the one I was thinking of!