• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk Grey defect..

2 posts in this topic

Hi-

I've seen this before over the years, but was curious as to what it does to the value of the book...

I didn't check my cpopy of Hulk Grey very well (OK, at all) and one of the pages has the bottom right corner wrinkled and folded into the book. It was clearly a production issue, since when you unfold it, its not a square corner, but very out of whack (like excess dough left on a cookie if the cutter didn't punch all the way through)

My fault for not checking, so I'll have to go buy another, but how common is this, and what does it do to the book value?

It's called a dog ear.

It is common, but not as much as some might think.

In a run of say 250,000 books, there might be 100-200 or so books that squeeze through with a dog ear.

It's caused by the page being folded over during printing before it gets trimmed in the bindery.

When the bindery cuts it, the raw virgin edge is tucked inside safely from being cut square with the rest of the book.

As for how it effects the grade? I have no idea.

Overstreet is not very clear on how this should be graded.

I'd say if it's on the inside of the book, it would be significantly less of a problem than on the outside cover. I guess that goes without saying.