• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Well color me happy!!!!!!

8 posts in this topic

I finally paid this piece off and it arrived last week. I want to thank Albert Moy for being more than reasonable with the time payment plans.

The story...

I bought all types of comics but mainly superhero stuff of the marvel variety, and slowly I started reading Hellblazer and the Sandman type stuff. This was at the time of "foil enhanced" baloney and polybagged goodness. I wanted to read a DC book that was a little more "mature" but of super-hero fare but I just wasn't happy with much that I read. So a preview ad popped up in some comic I was reading and I can remember thinking that this is exactly what I am looking for I think??? The first issue came out and naturally I picked it up hoping that it would be good. I was in love. The character was three dimensional, the art was dark and moody,and the story was compelling. I hadn't really come to love the vast history of comics that came before me, I was ignorant of the history of this character though I knew he had been around for a long time. I believe it was this book that made me start looking backwards as much as forwards in my collecting vision. I am thankful to be where I am in terms of my reading habits and silver-age DC comic love. I should be thanking John Ostrander and Tom Mandrake for making the character sing. Cover for cover from first to last I would be hard pressed to pick a title that had a more eclectic, cool, weird run with an awesome pool of talent drawing them. Every month was always a surprise and a joy seeing the stand out covers for this title. In particular this issue had such an evocative cover that I couldn't get out of my mind. Years later I tried to find this cover and I think the very first post on these boards was in an attempt to get my filthy mitts on said cover. Without further ado...

My Charles Vess Spectre cover. Never mind the Albertmoy, the piece is rather large so I couldn't scan it yet.

vessspectercover3000.jpg

Interesting background story and a great-looking piece of art. :applause:

Congrats!

Albert turned-up one of my grails a couple of years ago (a Wally Wood WEIRD SCIENCE cover). He was very flexible and fair with me when I was putting the deal together. (thumbs u